I know a lot of you folks are getting...

I know a lot of you folks are getting (or already have) your CPA and trying to obtain the CFA as well. Looking at the list below (forget about your personal career path & just in general terms), which combination of professional certifications do you think is worth given a try? CFA & CTP (Certified Treasury Professional) >>> Cash Management Career Path CFA & FRM (Financial Risk Management) >>> Risk Management Career Path CFA & CAIA (Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst) >>> Alternative Investment Path

My personal humble opinion: get a professional certificate once you are already in the industry and if your company encourages it (=pay for it). Ok, I see here that ppl do CFA to get in the industry, although I think MBA makes more sense for career changers. But more specialized certificates - will they make any sense if you are not in yet? I think the specialized conferences are preferable - you network and learn.

Depending on how you level up, the end boss is different.

Taniamadrid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My personal humble opinion: > get a professional certificate once you are > already in the industry and if your company > encourages it (=pay for it). Ok, I see here that > ppl do CFA to get in the industry, although I > think MBA makes more sense for career changers. > But more specialized certificates - will they make > any sense if you are not in yet? I think the > specialized conferences are preferable - you > network and learn. I agree. Other than the CFA, the designations you mention are pretty specialized. Getting the CTP would essentially be useless if you end up in anything but Treasury. I would hold off unless you have a clear path in any of the 3 directions.