I really need some guidance on my career! A lot of Qs, but you will be appreciated.

Questions: 1) Am I still underpaid? What’s the typical pay for start up IB analyst? 2) How difficult is it to go from credit analyst to IB analyst? 3) How many vacation/sick days can I expect? (I currently have 25 days/yr) 4) Typical bonus potential? What %? (Since I’m only 6 months at my company, have not received bonus yet, but was told by recruiter that it’s ~25%, don’t know if this is reliable) 5) Extremely long hours? (I hate staying late!) My current hrs are 9 to around 5:30ish, but occasionally later than that) 6) Will my life become miserable? A lot of pressure? 7) Promotion potential? How long do you have to work to be at a comfortable position? 8) Does it really pay for all the extra hours/workload/pressures? 9) Is it really worth it? Situation: Currently an analyst at a large commercial bank (base = $55K) for about 6 months now. Before that I was a credit analyst at a small commercial bank ($35K base) for a year. These are the only related experience I have so far. Education = BS Finance from NYU. I just took the level 1 exam on 12/1/07 but then I was asking myself why am I doing it? Do I really want to go to investment banking? I’m planning on renegotiating with my boss at year-end (April/May) for possible promotion/raise. If I succeed, this would complicate the problem.

Seems like you should become a public school teacher…(not that there’s anything wrong with that).

You want to work in investment banking, but you don’t want to stay late? Not going to happen. Choose which is more important to you; a job or free time/sleep. I work on the markets side, and there are very few people who work less than 12 hours a day. I have a good number of friends on the investment banking side, and they would love to cut their day short at 12 hours. Only you can make the decision if it is worth it.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Seems like you should become a public school > teacher…(not that there’s anything wrong with > that). I concur