I still have nightmares....

Picking Self-Control instead of Overconfidence for that behavioural question on the AM!!! I chose correct for the other 2 and I know I lost only 3 out of 9 marks, but it still haunts me and doesnt matter if i’m on vacation, beach, patio, fishing, work, etc, it just keeps popping into my head that if I failed, those 3 marks might have saved me. Other than that, i’m enjoying the summer, and I hope everyone else is doing the same!

Sorry man, I still have nightmares and I passed the thing like 10 years ago. Usually, I’m sitting in the test center and I notice I am just wearing women’s underwear. I get some question wrong about swaps and my fourth grade teacher Miss Chase spanks me.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sorry man, I still have nightmares and I passed > the thing like 10 years ago. Usually, I’m sitting > in the test center and I notice I am just wearing > women’s underwear. I get some question wrong > about swaps and my fourth grade teacher Miss Chase > spanks me. you call this a nightmare?

Just the part about getting the swaps question wrong.

Darn it… coffee sprayed all over my computer screen again…

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sorry man, I still have nightmares and I passed > the thing like 10 years ago. Usually, I’m sitting > in the test center and I notice I am just wearing > women’s underwear. I get some question wrong > about swaps and my fourth grade teacher Miss Chase > spanks me. I wish I had my 4th grade teacher in my dreams, she was such a hottie. For Valentines day, I sprayed my dads cologne on the card I was giving her. Stetson works like a charm! I guess I should try and relax, it’s just the stress of not passing and trying to change jobs in the flooded Toronto market.

> I guess I should try and relax, it’s just the > stress of not passing and trying to change jobs in > the flooded Toronto market. You are not alone. I am also counting the days until results out… mixed emotions. I hope I passed so that I can move up at my firm, but if I did not, I have to leave for a new job. Only problem is that it’s pretty tough to find a CFA level position in the current market (anywhere in the U.S.). I’ve been getting a lot of interviews, but I know for a fact that in some cases the firm is interviewing 50+ people for one spot. Good luck on your results and hang in there.

bromion, thanks for the note. I as well am getting interviews, and make it far along the process but usually miss out to someone with more experience, so I know exactly what your talking about. But after going through all these interviews, I have met alot of great people (HR, managing directors, VP’s etc) which is always a good thing for down the road, and another bonus is that I have really polished my interview skills. Good luck to you as well!

I hear you IH8FSA. This is the first year that I have had difficulty fully enjoying the summer after the test. Usually my mind goes completely blank in three days and I don’t start getting tense again until the first week of August. This time little things trigger memories of questions and then long periods of anxiety follow. I am haunted by that easy second return calculation on the first question when you get the right answer if you just plug the right numbers into the calculator. That was a softball that I just somehow completely botched. And for me passing/failing also has huge implications for my career here or elsewhere. Then the offer from a different thread that my bored wife can spend next year visiting Joey’s Fun House if I fail has only raised my discomfort level. Do you think the CFA does permanent psychological damage or will this go away some day?

I’m getting pre-TSD reading about L3.

Mr. Tambourine Man Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Then the offer from a > different thread that my bored wife can spend next > year visiting Joey’s Fun House if I fail has only > raised my discomfort level. I didn’t mean to give you the wrong impression. Your bored wife can visit Joey’s Fun House even if you pass. > Do you think the CFA > does permanent psychological damage or will this > go away some day? On a serious note, the day you open that letter that says 'Congratulations! You passed LIII of the Charter Financial Analyst exams…" all your issues with CFAI will be wiped away in a second. You will absolutely get that letter someday and it’s a feeling worth working hard for.

I dont know Joey, i dont really feel all that special even if i will pass L3. Yes, i read a bunch of material, but who didnt?

Lots and lots of people didn’t. When you pass LIII you should feel very proud of yourself that you conquered a beast. You already know more finance than all kinds of people who are famous.

Mr. Tambourine Man Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hear you IH8FSA. This is the first year that I > have had difficulty fully enjoying the summer > after the test. Usually my mind goes completely > blank in three days and I don’t start getting > tense again until the first week of August. This > time little things trigger memories of questions > and then long periods of anxiety follow. I am > haunted by that easy second return calculation on > the first question when you get the right answer > if you just plug the right numbers into the > calculator. That was a softball that I just > somehow completely botched. And for me > passing/failing also has huge implications for my > career here or elsewhere. Then the offer from a > different thread that my bored wife can spend next > year visiting Joey’s Fun House if I fail has only > raised my discomfort level. Do you think the CFA > does permanent psychological damage or will this > go away some day? I know exactly what you mean. Level 1 and 2, right after the exam I was in summer mode and didnt really feel much different until about early-mid august. This time though for L3, there isnt a day that goes by that I dont think about the exam. AT least its L3 now, and there is no backing down, we have gone this far so it is only inevitable that we will eventually pass, its just the whole thing of moving on with your life and doing other things, it does hurt but we’re in too deep.

> On a serious note, the day you open that letter > that says 'Congratulations! You passed LIII of > the Charter Financial Analyst exams…" all your > issues with CFAI will be wiped away in a second. > You will absolutely get that letter someday and > it’s a feeling worth working hard for. Joey, I sure hope you’re right about that. By dropping the Level 3 pass rate to 50%, I think the CFA Institute is risking having a lot of exasperated members and it makes their dream of getting people to sign up for continuing education look like a complete fantasy. There are going to be some losers who get through any program–we’ve probably all met a few with MBAs from top schools, for example. I personally think that they have gone way overboard in making the Level 3 test tough and you can see it in the number of people who believe that “luck” is a significant factor in passing. And another thing, if I pass, my wife is banned from the Fun House. If I fail, well, we’ll just have to see…

OK, deal - You pass, no Fun House for your wife.

Mr. Tambourine Man Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > On a serious note, the day you open that > letter > > that says 'Congratulations! You passed LIII of > > the Charter Financial Analyst exams…" all > your > > issues with CFAI will be wiped away in a second. > > > You will absolutely get that letter someday and > > it’s a feeling worth working hard for. > > Joey, I sure hope you’re right about that. By > dropping the Level 3 pass rate to 50%, I think the > CFA Institute is risking having a lot of > exasperated members and it makes their dream of > getting people to sign up for continuing education > look like a complete fantasy. There are going to > be some losers who get through any program–we’ve > probably all met a few with MBAs from top schools, > for example. I personally think that they have > gone way overboard in making the Level 3 test > tough and you can see it in the number of people > who believe that “luck” is a significant factor in > passing. > > And another thing, if I pass, my wife is banned > from the Fun House. If I fail, well, we’ll just > have to see… Someone mentioned it on this board a month ago: with the way the CFA has been giving these exams, the only people who will take it are back office employees trying to move up. The ones who have good front office gigs simply don’t have the time. To study 500 hours and still not be sure to pass, it might not be worth it for many who don’t need the designation.

former trader, I agree with you. I spoke to a few traders and the opinion I get it that is not needed. Hard core experience is always worth more on the resume than degrees and certifications. With the registration fees ( http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/register/fees.html ) maxing about $1400 just to register for the exam… many people wonder why they should pay this high price in money, hours studied for an exam that is not transparent ( won’t even should you how they graded your the exam), tests on minutae, and the pass rate quota is falling. If this was a fair exam that was based on a normal curve, the pass rates would be consistent every year. I am still having night mares about this exam. I still wonder if the questions that I guessed… could have been the make it or break it point to passing.