I want to quit my job - please opine

I hate having to admit when y’all are right.

As a CFA charterholder myself, I agree 100% with Destroyer_of_Worlds. It’s not that you quit. It’s that you showed horrific judgment. If I were an employer, I’d be concerned that you’d quit working for me, too, if the least little thing didn’t measure-up to you (unrealistically) high standards.

Yeah sure. But the thing is for what seems like the last three weeks now, I haven’t made anything less than $5 G’s a day.

You’re half-way to 10k a day! But how do you have only 70k saved up? You, my man, have a cash flow problem.

I guess the question is this: Can you separate investment returns from earned income? You have plenty of the former, but, if you quit your job without having another lined up, you’ll have none of the latter. As I have previously noted, quitting one job without having another to go to is, to any experienced executive or other hiring official, a huge mistake. It’s often a sign of immaturity and/or a lack of ability to persevere if/when times get tough on a job, as they often do.

Of course you can quit without having a job lined up, just as long as it is not an impulsive decision and provided that two conditions are met - (i) you have sufficient savings, and (ii) you have a solid plan that ties into a coherent narrative which presents this as a well-thought out decision. The key is that you need to be (and appear to be in the eyes of future employers) as much in control of the situation as possible.

If your job duties have changed or not progressed as expected, if the opportunity set for your job has changed in a negative way since you were hired, if you did not receive an expected raise/promotion/increase in job responsibilities, could you spin your situation into a “constructive layoff” and demand a severance? Constructive layoff means that there is a mutual agreement between you and your employer when you were hired, at will, to perform certain job duties (which may change within some loosely defined bounds as the business evolves) - but they can’t suddenly ask you to start mopping the floors instead, to use as an extreme example, because that is drastically different from the initial expectations. Have your situation changed sufficiently for you to claim this? I’ve used this argument in the past with an employer who attempted to shift the ground under my feet and successfully got a severance package when I decided to quit, but the burden of proof here is on you. If that’s not the case and you just got tired of the job you were hired to do, shut it and find a new one first.

1 Like

Thanks guys for all of your replies. I wanted to follow up with all of you since I know your responses were sincere. I think though what’s even more toxic than my job is my relationship. I’ve become totally emasculated in the last 2 months of my life, and I think it’s forcing me to lose my cool and grow numb to all the other great things in my life. So naturally I’m trying to replace everything else in my life except the thing that really needs to go.

I relly don’t need to say anything else about that.

You got married two months ago? Congratulations!!!

Are you holding onto her because you are financially intertwined and you believe it would upset a great many things for you to remove her? Or is it more like, you’re a glutton for punishment and you really really love her, like the narrator in Offspring’s magnum opus song, “Self Esteem?” Be honest, because this matters. If it’s financial, and you’re terrified of the hassle of finding a new place, and buying all new stuff, or living in a reduced manner as a result because you can’t afford the same stuff you guys have jointly, etc. etc., please consider the longer-term picture.

Some of the unhappiest guys I know, who actually admit such things to me, are the ones that followed this idea that they needed to be with someone because they were too fearful of being on their own and they thought they didn’t have enough money to do it on their own. Then, they ended up slowly continuing down that path over the course of years, mentally discounting sunk costs along the way, and finding themselves waking up one day married with kids. All because they didn’t have the stones to cut the cord while their opportunity costs were low (i.e., having perfect optionality in being both unmarried and childless). Ironically, when examining the whole arc of time over one’s long, long life, they failed to pull the plug at precisely the time when the cost of doing so is at its minimum. Don’t be this guy, if this is what’s happening! These guys are the most miserable guys I know.

If, on the other hand, you are the guy from the Offspring song, I don’t know what to tell you except, you know, there are plenty of other fish in the sea, my man.

low key. when i had covid. it was pretty rough. i wasnt getting any. we were fighting a lot. i blamed my fiance for a lot of things that were happening. getting covid, ■■■■ breaking like toilet, sink, closet, my rice cooker. and me having to do a lot of crap im not used to, like cleanign the dishes and cooking her food, and doing all the hospital emergency crap. and i got to tell you, i felt everything you felt. anyawys i think we’re in a better place now. the fighting has resolved many things. and im finally getting some.

CEO, I’m glad you’ve identified the root problem. I hope you’re able to extricate yourself relatively easily (and if not, I know plenty of people who can hide you indefinitely).

If this is your primary complaint when you and your significant other have a potentially fatal virus, you need to see a therapist. You’re a sex addict and won’t be able to cope in any form of healthy way when that ahem avenue is temporarily closed at some point.

Have you bought yourself a new one yet or still using your brother’s?

Who you marry is the biggest and the most important long position of your life. Choose wisely!

CLAIM: “I’ve become totally emasculated”
VERDICT: TRUE

Use of phrase “toxic”, upset about job / relationship. “Just listen, stop trying to fix everything!”

More detail: Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman’s Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia: Gilbert, Elizabeth: 9780143038412: Amazon.com: Books

my bro gave it. its brand new. rice cookers are dirt cheap. i doubt he wants it back.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-RC503-Cooker-3-Cup-White/dp/B016Y8JSK4/ref=zg_bs_678540011_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=Z5Y3V7GCHQZ840XTANHF&th=1

i always got my cheating hand.

Good thing you got that covered. I was worried. Is the fiance healthy and are you getting some again?

I did but honestly we stopped the last couple of day because her stomach still hurts. She is a bit gassy. Nauseous. And keeps burping. It’s been 20 days. Her covid test got lost too. Her job is paying for a rapid test for her to come back. 175 a pop. I have a nagging cough but I already tested negative.

That means that she makes other people feel sick.

“Nauseated” means that she feels sick.

1 Like

If she’s farting and burping, could it be that the word choice is intentional, Editor-In-Chief?