I want to work at a Hedge Fund

Well I want a gold plated toilet, but that’s just not in the cards.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I want a gold plated toilet, but that’s just > not in the cards. Start a fund, hire all these dudes. Run a ponzi scheme using them all and two years later you will have your toilet bud.

bakbakbakgone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I felt that ‘dominate’ is a term that most here > can associate with. I meant nothing more than for > it to briefly sum up my abilities in the office. > In real life, I am far from arrogant. Please > don’t get caught up in minor details unrelated to > the question. bakbakbakgone, you’re a f-ing jerk. Please don’t get caught up in the minor details of how I put it, because that’s not relevant to the issue. Just tone it down a little. You might learn a thing or two from Aleksey Vayner. (ok, I’m ready for mo34’s rebuttal - mo, please note I am using poetic license to make a point: :wink: )

I think using the word ‘dominate’ to describe your current work performance just got up people’s noses a bit - you know what AF is like, always ready to teach someone a lesson in humility. Fwiw, I would think your best chance is going to come from networking (and this won’t be news to you). Joining CFAI now, as well as your local society is a start. Start assembling a file on likely target hedge funds in the area - who they are, what they do, staff changes. Google the execs and staff, see if you connect via a contact on LinkedIn. What are their backgrounds, qualifications, interests? Start reading HF journals and magazines - keep an eye out for free information days and presentations by various funds. Sign up for all their quarterly newsletters, investment updates - send them some feedback. and finally, work on an awesome CV and cover letter.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bakbak you sound like a bit of a wanker, but > perhaps that just you’re writing style. > > You sound like you already know what to do - you > have the qualifications, you know where you need > to be…why are you asking us for our 2c? > > 75% of AF’ers either work in BO or IT, 10% are 14 > year old kids who have been allowed to keep a > computer in their bedroom, 10% are automatic > responses from bots on the net, 4% are just posts > from Chad trying to keep his advertisers fooled > into thinking there is a a lot of interest in this > site, and the remaining 1% of AF posters are just > here to add their email address to a long post > asking for someone to send them copies of the > Schweser or CFAI practice exams. 75% - BO or IT or Engineer 10% - 14 year olds 10% - Forum bots 4% - Chard 1% - Looking for free stuff lol

I apologize if I came off that way - I meant nothing by it. In fact, I drafted the initial post after a long day @ work, so was probably letting off a little steam in the process as well. My apologies again. I think you made some great points below. I already do most of those things, but one thing I have not tried was contacting the authors of those quarterlies/newsletters. I think that’s a good idea. newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think using the word ‘dominate’ to describe your > current work performance just got up people’s > noses a bit - you know what AF is like, always > ready to teach someone a lesson in humility. > > Fwiw, I would think your best chance is going to > come from networking (and this won’t be news to > you). Joining CFAI now, as well as your local > society is a start. > > Start assembling a file on likely target hedge > funds in the area - who they are, what they do, > staff changes. Google the execs and staff, see if > you connect via a contact on LinkedIn. What are > their backgrounds, qualifications, interests? > > Start reading HF journals and magazines - keep an > eye out for free information days and > presentations by various funds. > > Sign up for all their quarterly newsletters, > investment updates - send them some feedback. > > and finally, work on an awesome CV and cover > letter.

I don’t so much dominate my work as ball gag it and tickle it with a feather.

bakbakbakgone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I apologize if I came off that way - I meant > nothing by it. In fact, I drafted the initial > post after a long day @ work, so was probably > letting off a little steam in the process as well. > My apologies again. > > I think you made some great points below. I > already do most of those things, but one thing I > have not tried was contacting the authors of those > quarterlies/newsletters. I think that’s a good > idea. > > Don’t sweat it. I once posted a mini-rant on AF because I was cheesed that my boss only offered me 2 days study leave for LI, on the condition I matched it with 2 days of holidays. Well lordy, blow me down if eveybody didn’t reply telling me to basically suck it up because that was 10 times better than they got, and what a wanker I was for complaining. It’s just the AF way.

Lol, since I’ve been at my current employer, I have literally used all of my vacation days to study. Luckily I do get compensated for my costs if I pass, but the days are lost. newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bakbakbakgone Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I apologize if I came off that way - I meant > > nothing by it. In fact, I drafted the initial > > post after a long day @ work, so was probably > > letting off a little steam in the process as > well. > > My apologies again. > > > > I think you made some great points below. I > > already do most of those things, but one thing > I > > have not tried was contacting the authors of > those > > quarterlies/newsletters. I think that’s a > good > > idea. > > > > > > Don’t sweat it. I once posted a mini-rant on AF > because I was cheesed that my boss only offered me > 2 days study leave for LI, on the condition I > matched it with 2 days of holidays. Well lordy, > blow me down if eveybody didn’t reply telling me > to basically suck it up because that was 10 times > better than they got, and what a wanker I was for > complaining. > > It’s just the AF way.

Here is a good example of things I am looking for. I really like research like this. You can say that I ‘dominate’ reading this (kidding…): http://www.zerohedge.com/article/quanto-cds-trade-most-profitable-way-bet-eurozones-collapse Now, I can go directly to barcap, but am unable to find this exact piece. I’ve tried the following site, but with no luck: http://www.barcap.com/About+Barclays+Capital/Press+Office/Research+Reports Essentially, I am trying to bypass the middleman (the blog). There’s too much noise on some of the blogs I follow, and often I have to scan through 1000 posts just to find an interesting piece of research as above. Can anyone recommend direct sources of literature? I am looking for topics out of the mainstream - good discussion topics in interviews.

^^^^^ Hey I took a bunch of tests and wanna make $1 million per annum now…Haha bunch of turds… Get a PhD in a quantitative subject with some ground breaking research…then you’ll start to get noticed by Hedgies…

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think using the word ‘dominate’ to describe your > current work performance just got up people’s > noses a bit - you know what AF is like, always > ready to teach someone a lesson in humility. IMHO, humility is essential for success in finance.

> > Any advice (constructive or critical) would be > much appreciated. I would echo what Chad said perfectly. In case you haven’t noticed it, since the two years you have come outside of UG the financial industry has had a major contraction with countless people being laid off. 1) You are competiting against people with Ph.D.'s or MBAs and 15+ years experience 2) The entire industry over-stepped the line and now the pendulum will swing the other way with new goverment regulation (hedge funds and all). Until this happens and is settled no one knows what hiring will be like. Get in line and shut up. 3) No one likes working with a-holes so I suggest you watch more than the first 20 minutes of boiler room. I really hope you don’t come across this way in person. If you are lucky enough to get an interview, it won’t go well. More pratically, really, what do you have that can contribute to a HF? The best advise is to work like a slave for another 10 years and gain experience in a variety of settings. If you want an MBA don’t bother if it isn’t a brand name.

^ But what if I don’t want to work like a slave for another 10 years? What if I just want to dominate? Argh.

You are very correct. How to appear worthy of a position alongside seasoned PhDs/MBAs will be one of the biggest obstacles. A challenge that I hope can draw some helpful commentary from the board. I don’t think getting in line and ‘shutting up’ is necessarily the approach I am looking for. Although, at some point one truly has to aware of their own actual odds of “getting in”. One’s ignorance to acknowledge this fact will either set them up for failure, or hopefully be the “drive” that pushes them to the front of the line. DanLieb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > Any advice (constructive or critical) would be > > much appreciated. > > > I would echo what Chad said perfectly. > In case you haven’t noticed it, since the two > years you have come outside of UG the financial > industry has had a major contraction with > countless people being laid off. > 1) You are competiting against people with Ph.D.'s > or MBAs and 15+ years experience > 2) The entire industry over-stepped the line and > now the pendulum will swing the other way with new > goverment regulation (hedge funds and all). Until > this happens and is settled no one knows what > hiring will be like. Get in line and shut up. > 3) No one likes working with a-holes so I suggest > you watch more than the first 20 minutes of boiler > room. > > I really hope you don’t come across this way in > person. If you are lucky enough to get an > interview, it won’t go well. > > More pratically, really, what do you have that can > contribute to a HF? The best advise is to work > like a slave for another 10 years and gain > experience in a variety of settings. If you want > an MBA don’t bother if it isn’t a brand name.

bakbakbakgone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I don’t think getting in line and ‘shutting up’ is > necessarily the approach I am looking for. > Although, at some point one truly has to aware of > their own actual odds of “getting in”. One’s > ignorance to acknowledge this fact will either set > them up for failure, or hopefully be the “drive” > that pushes them to the front of the line. Hey doofus. I gave you actual advice, which you ask for. Since I have a Ph.D. in a quant field and 6 years experience (as well as other prestigious degrees) you can take it or leave it. I wouldn’t be suprised if you leave it, given how arrogant you are. I really want to go to the Olympics in 2012 and represent the US Archery team. I haven’t shot a bow and arrow since I was 10 years old and that was only a few times in camp. But I have very good vision from my laser eye surgery and I’m pretty good at darts after a few drinks. My ignorance of my archery skills are going to be what gets me into the the national trials.

^ DanLieb, I like this post :slight_smile:

I once had an interview for a Hedge Fund, it was a pretty humbling experience. A Hedge Fund is a rather blanket term. Why don’t you tell us what kind of investments interest you / what kind of Hedge Funds you would want to work for ?

Did anyone here see last season’s episode of Storm Chasers: “dominating, dominating…dominating!”

what are your 3 best current european ideas?