I want to work at a Hedge Fund

As the subject says: I want to work at a Hedge Fund. I am two years out of undergrad. I’ve earned the FRM designation. I am well-prepared for L3 CFA exam in June. I’ve worked my ass off every day of my life because I simply enjoy working, and I enjoy money. I’ve moved to Greenwich, CT to be directly at the epicenter. I work at a fintech consulting company implementing ALM systems at the enterprise-level of banks. I dominate my role and get along great with clients at all levels of the organization, but this was certainly not what I found myself doing out of UG, just sort of stumbled into. Plain vanilla IR and CC swaps are hardly interesting from a pure ALM modeling perspective. Clearly, my background thus far has been focused around risk, so I am wondering how I can sell that into the asset mgmt world. I will be hitting the job market once L3 is over and am anxious to start pursuing my goal. If it means knocking on the door of every fund in this town, then so be it. Aside from selling my soul, what else can I do to get what I want? I really want to avoid an intermediate job just to get closer to the hedge fund industry. I understand most funds only recruit from selective backgrounds, but I dread spending another three years doing something I won’t be fully committed to. Any advice (constructive or critical) would be much appreciated.

the first thing you need to do is get in line. I too have earned the FRM and WAS prepared in L3. Also dominating my role and can’t see myself doing this 3.5 years out of grad school.

Im after Frank. No LIII, no FRM, 12 months out of Ugrad. The difference? I’m pretty farking confident, drive, and i’m a squeaky wheel and once I get ahold of someone’s ear they’re going to have to either pry me off or they’re gonna break. Good luck, you’re competing with smart people like FrankA, and annoying douche’s like me.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Im after Frank. No LIII, no FRM, 12 months out of > Ugrad. > > The difference? I’m pretty farking confident, > drive, and i’m a squeaky wheel and once I get > ahold of someone’s ear they’re going to have to > either pry me off or they’re gonna break. > > Good luck, you’re competing with smart people like > FrankA, and annoying douche’s like me. Once you have a rudimentary grasp of the English language, you’ll be on your way!

I’d rather hire As s Man than bakbakbak. OP reeks of arrogance and douchebaggery.

brother bilo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Im after Frank. No LIII, no FRM, 12 months out > of > > Ugrad. > > > > The difference? I’m pretty farking confident, > > drive, and i’m a squeaky wheel and once I get > > ahold of someone’s ear they’re going to have to > > either pry me off or they’re gonna break. > > > > Good luck, you’re competing with smart people > like > > FrankA, and annoying douche’s like me. > > > Once you have a rudimentary grasp of the English > language, you’ll be on your way! Brother Bilo, I’m not sure why you would sign up for a CFA forum when everyone knows you’re just a retard in a cage in Kazakhstan. Regards, ASS_MAN P.S. You will NEVER get this.

Is this a joke? “Retard in a cage…”. And then he signs himself off: “ASS_MAN”? This is such a sad sight to see, on what is suppose to be a forum for highly intellectual debates and discussions regarding finance.

Reggie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is this a joke? “Retard in a cage…”. And then he > signs himself off: “ASS_MAN”? > > This is such a sad sight to see, on what is > suppose to be a forum for highly intellectual > debates and discussions regarding finance. Brother Bilo started it.

Everyone here is so immature. I like mature.

I wouldn’t have guessed MILF Hunter. Thanks for the shout out on Mother’s Day as well, hope you had a good day.

bakbak you sound like a bit of a wanker, but perhaps that just you’re writing style. You sound like you already know what to do - you have the qualifications, you know where you need to be…why are you asking us for our 2c? 75% of AF’ers either work in BO or IT, 10% are 14 year old kids who have been allowed to keep a computer in their bedroom, 10% are automatic responses from bots on the net, 4% are just posts from Chad trying to keep his advertisers fooled into thinking there is a a lot of interest in this site, and the remaining 1% of AF posters are just here to add their email address to a long post asking for someone to send them copies of the Schweser or CFAI practice exams.

The majority of AF’ers are good-looking, hard-working people. I just wanted to make sure you guys know that.

Reggie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is this a joke? “Retard in a cage…”. And then he > signs himself off: “ASS_MAN”? > > This is such a sad sight to see, on what is > suppose to be a forum for highly intellectual > debates and discussions regarding finance. Your Name: ASSet_MANagement Lets TRY and find the pattern here, mkay? et_agement nah… doesn’t make sense. ASS_MAN Hmm, kind of punny if I don’t say so myself because ASS_MAN + ___et____agement = ASSet_MANagement, which, I think, is very pertinent to what this website discusses. As far as “retard in a cage” I suggest you stop watching New Moon and glittery vampires and start watching a mans movie, like “Borat.”

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bakbak you sound like a bit of a wanker, but > perhaps that just you’re writing style. > > You sound like you already know what to do - you > have the qualifications, you know where you need > to be…why are you asking us for our 2c? > > 75% of AF’ers either work in BO or IT, 10% are 14 > year old kids who have been allowed to keep a > computer in their bedroom, 10% are automatic > responses from bots on the net, 4% are just posts > from Chad trying to keep his advertisers fooled > into thinking there is a a lot of interest in this > site, and the remaining 1% of AF posters are just > here to add their email address to a long post > asking for someone to send them copies of the > Schweser or CFAI practice exams. Hilarious. Babak get comfortable ‘dominating’ your role - it sounds like you’ll be doing it for a while. I’m voting for Frank or Ass_Man ten times out of ten over you.

newsuper nailed it

“I dominate my role.” Hmmm… little bit of arrogance here. Might be a good cold-caller though. “I’m crushing your head; crushing your head!”

Guys seriously, i’m blushing. Ok, time to work. No no no, TIME TO DOMINATE! No no no, TIME TO DOMIN8!!!

ASS_MAN you’re previous post was beyond even worth picking apart. Do everyone a favor and please stop posting on AF, if you’re going to continue in this fashion.

I do appreciate the two cents - that’s mostly why I posted the question to this message board. I already have a detailed plan as to how to reach my goals, but nevertheless hearing other’s advice/experiences can only be more helpful. I felt that ‘dominate’ is a term that most here can associate with. I meant nothing more than for it to briefly sum up my abilities in the office. In real life, I am far from arrogant. Please don’t get caught up in minor details unrelated to the question. If anyone has specific recommendations on the types of skills to acquire, industry conferences to attend, and basically anything in general that puts one to the ‘front of the line’, that would be great. I would also appreciate if those who are spamming can stop. Thanks.

There are a lot of very competent experienced people looking for jobs in Finance. I think it would be hard to compete with them.