IB Analyst....

I know this has been discussed before but here is the question: What is IB Analyst Job (entry level) Salary Grades (both base and bonus)??? Is it true that it varies by location quite a bit? If yes, state the location you are quoting the salary for?

A buddy of mine started at JP Morgan in new york a few months back and he got something around 60K base and a 10K signing bonus. Unfortunately, I’m not too sure about the end of year bonus but I’d guess something around 20-40K - but it really depends on their results.

what was his background? work wise? and education wise?

A buddy got into Scotia Capital (Toronto) for an internship as an IB analyst after 2nd year, 45k + bonus ~50% (can’t remember the specifics) A cum. average, Schulich

for first year Analysts, salary range is around 90-110k all in

varies from place to place. NYC at BB for first year would be 60 base, 90 bonus so 150 all in (US) In Toronto for a canadian bank probably be 70 base, 50 bonus, so 120 all in (C$) Vancouver would be in line with Toronto as an analyst.

Hey guys, I have a additional question. As a BB analyst, are we taking about sell side analyst working on a perticular sector. Or a analyst in say M&A or restructuring etc. I would be more interested in the restructuring, M&A side of things, was just wondering if you can do this right out of B skool, or do you have to be a generic analyst first? How does one get into stuff like distressed debt, special situations etc?

The bulge bracket IB analysts get a standard package of $60k base and $10k signing. Year end bonuses for first years last year ranged, on average, from about $70-90k depending on your review. And the bulge brackets generally pay the same for all offices. The regional boutiques do pay less in cities outside of NYC.

BB all paid fairly close to the same last year… they however got a stub bonus and not full bonus until 2nd year… so 70-90k was prorated… all BB pay the same in all offices around the nation… I think JP was the leader last year for pay… merrill was second… they are however trying to get a better rep on pay thus the increases base and bonus…

N.Van, shoot me an email at day_for_night2 at hotmail dot com

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BB all paid fairly close to the same last > year… they however got a stub bonus and not > full bonus until 2nd year… so 70-90k was > prorated… all BB pay the same in all offices > around the nation… I think JP was the leader > last year for pay… merrill was second… they > are however trying to get a better rep on pay thus > the increases base and bonus… Analysts are generally paid every summer. That $70k-90k check was cut in July or so. The analysts start their program in the summer. Associates get pro-rated bonuses. They are at higher comp; I believe the current package is $35k signing + $95k base for first year associates. They get a pro-rated bonus so that after the first year they get paid for a full year at fiscal year end. Bonuses there are definitely better than $70-90k (although their pro-rated cut may be in that range, don’t quote me on that).

not sure if bonuses will be in that 70-90k range in the current environment. who knows though… will get some idea by year end, if your associates arent happy with their bonus, chances are summer bonus wont be as good.

jax26 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > not sure if bonuses will be in that 70-90k range > in the current environment. who knows though… > will get some idea by year end, if your associates > arent happy with their bonus, chances are summer > bonus wont be as good. Agreed. I will be very happy if bonus ranges stay the same for analysts, but my expectation is that we will see a drop next summer.

gotta love that variable comp offset!

FIAnalyst, im with you. id be very happy if bonuses stayed flat. for the most part though if you look at the comp set aside at most firms after they reported 3q earnings, it is down (year over year) at a few places, up at GS though.

N.VanCandidate, Goldenboy is right on about the stub bonus…it will be prorated. As to background, he was captain of a D1 tennis team (figures…right?) but didn’t go to an Ivy. He had top grades however (go figure). He had a pretty good internship in equity research at Bank of America the summer before his Senior year in college. As to what hes doing now roughly 4 months in? Pitchbooks…pitchbooks…did I say pitchbooks? Hes usually in the office at least one day out of the weekend.

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > N.VanCandidate, > > Goldenboy is right on about the stub bonus…it > will be prorated. As to background, he was > captain of a D1 tennis team (figures…right?) but > didn’t go to an Ivy. He had top grades however > (go figure). He had a pretty good internship in > equity research at Bank of America the summer > before his Senior year in college. As to what hes > doing now roughly 4 months in? > Pitchbooks…pitchbooks…did I say pitchbooks? > Hes usually in the office at least one day out of > the weekend. Bonuses are pro-rated for associates (post-mba) during teh first year, not for analysts (with maybe the exception of 1-2 banks). People ripe out of UG get paid in the summer.