Ideal Job-time to wait

for those of you who are sitting in their ideal position or on the perfect track towards your ultimate goal, how long did it take for you to set up shop?

It will always vary, but the general rule of thumb is for every $20k - $30k you expect to make you will likely need 1 - 2 months searching. So for entery level research/banking jobs that pay about $120k give or take you should expect to search anywhere from 4 months to 12 months.

strikershank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It will always vary, but the general rule of thumb > is for every $20k - $30k you expect to make you > will likely need 1 - 2 months searching. > > So for entery level research/banking jobs that pay > about $120k give or take you should expect to > search anywhere from 4 months to 12 months. I have never heard of this rule, and no offense intended, but it sounds like rubbish. It all depends on how strong your resume and network are. That being said, it never hurts to spend more time networking, even if you’re not looking for a new role. To get into my current role, I guess you could say it took 2 years of networking, but in reality it took about 2 months. The previous 22 months I was a sophomore/junior in college looking to meet as many contacts as I could (oddly enough…all of the contacts I met are in a completely different role than I ended up taking), but I couldn’t actually interview for the current job. On campus recruiting started in September and ended when I accepted my current position in very early November. Again, it all depends on your qualifications and your situation.

hence why i said it’ll vary…talk to some HR people…the ‘rule’ i posted is a generality. outside of campus recruitment you’ll find the rule holds more often. in the example you used. with all the contacts you made in 22 months, when did you initally start emailing them persuing opportunities? september as well?