If you are starting now for June exam

Hi all If you are starting now for June exam, what you would focus on/priority. Thanks

Alcohol tolerance and FSA. They make a great combination.

Learning how to study late nights

Focus on quitting

kcin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Focus on quitting ?? ouch? Don’t listen to him, but it will be tough… so be prepared to kill your social life, not sleep, etc etc. focus on everything, you won’t pass without knowing all the sections, but do really know FSA and ethics. Don’t think reading the material over is all you have to do. You have to be able to answer questions, etc. Good Luck… on the note of Alcohol while studying. From psychology classes in Uni, apparently if you write your exam in the same environment as the one you studied in, you’ll do better… so remember!! bring the alcohol to the exam so you don’t handicap yourself!

Depends on the time you have. And also which level. I passed the first two by starting mid-March, but I had about 7-8 hours each weekend day + a few hours for four days during the week. Plus a week off work. I was able to cover everything and put in about 350 hours - much less for the first level. So if you have that much time you may not have to prioritize aside from areas in which you are weak.

Schweser notes/Qbank should be essential at this point. I could not fathom reading the CFAI text from now till June.

I would focus on signing up for the December 2008 exam…but if June is some sort of masochistic thing for you and without knowing your background on any of the topics I would wait til the end on topics like Alternatives and Portflio Mgmt as they are weighted less and pretty easy in my opinion. FSA, Quant, Econ, and read Ethics on commute and down time from other crap. Agree to focus on Schweser otherwise you are never gonna make it thru the text much less get practice questions in…good luck man!

Thanks I am done with Schweser FSA but not done any questions except for the concept checkers where I strike with 75-80% accuracy.Done corp fin and portfolio mgt, quant in my master but haven’t seen the CFA material yet. Not even touched the Ethics. I haven’t even used the calculator as I hove done all quant material on Excel. So was hoping some insight about taking the exam and equipping for the essentials. What should be the accuracy to pass the exam. I am sure I can put 20-30h/week till the exam. S

Then I would say you are just fine in my opinion, that is a pretty big difference from “just starting” to study…anyway keep it going as we are getting closer to crunch time

I like you view of the meaning of “just starting” … I guess that more than one would like to start according to your standards :wink:

Mate, I have few days to book the test and I am still pondering. Actually, i got hold of schweser notes last week from my friend and just read the FSA, so thought of doing the test. S

Don’t worry if you’re just starting now. I couldnt’ get started studying for June exams until March 1st and even then I was in 2nd gear until April.

Pray hard for the lady luck to be on your side on the D-day!!

Thanks Shouldn’t I be focusing on Ethics, FSA, and Quant+Econ? I only have Schweser material and I am only doing concept checker Qs. I was wondering what sort of approach do you recommend for doing practice Qs. I have heard about Schweser software Q bank. Do you guys do that after reading each reading/study session? How representative they are of the test level? S

You stop reading this forum and get into the books, you need to get through the material asap. Otherwise doing questions doesn’t make any sense.

The people on this board may not be the best cross-section of CFA candidates. The pass rate for this board is likely very high and candidates get started very early on. At my company, no one starts until at least April 1st. The pass rate is lower, of course. With that said, I don’t think starting now is too late. I started studying for Level I last year on April 14th. This year, I’m getting started “early” for Level II and starting tomorrow.

I haven’t been through much material yet (i read 47 pages of FSA)…I put my chances at high to quite high of passing.

goblue06 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The people on this board may not be the best > cross-section of CFA candidates. The pass rate > for this board is likely very high and candidates > get started very early on. At my company, no one > starts until at least April 1st. The pass rate is > lower, of course. > > With that said, I don’t think starting now is too > late. I started studying for Level I last year on > April 14th. This year, I’m getting started > “early” for Level II and starting tomorrow. Of course this depends on the overlap between what you do in your day job and the material you happen to be studying.