If you ever wondered...

Who would fail in Level 2 ? I have the answer for you. I am fairly destined to fail in level 2 as I have only completed 3 books (Equity, Fixed Income and FSA). I have 3 more books to go. I passed level 1 in dec and started preparing for level 2 sometime in Feb. At this rate, I dont think I would even finish 1 pass at the curriculum. So here you have. The likely candidate who has a high probability of failing. Damn I passed with a > 70% in all sections in level 1 and I am here staring at the “failur” barrel.

i took L1 in Dec as well, and i’m really running out of steam. Most of the people that were on the L1 forum and took the test last dec seem to be doing L2 next June. I should’ve done the same

I’m in the same boat. All the stuff makes sense when I read it , but I’m unable to retain it. I’m most probably going to be a band guy

i know there are plenty of people who have done L2 right on the back of L1, but I will never recommend anyone else do it. Unless they are unemployed.

Dude, I am in the same boat and have finished roughly 3 books. I have not had 1/2 the motivation I had last year due to “life”. However, I have cleared my non-working calendar for the next 40 days and am still hoping to pass this beast. I can put in 6 hours a day during the week and 10 on the weekends. I would rather walk into the exam knowing I have a chance, however small it may be, at passing the exam than realizing total failure is imminent. If I fail I can’t be all that surprised. If I pass, awesome.

I passed L1 in June 09. I really regret starting to study in February. I am even in worse position considering that the material wasn’t even fresh in my head but yeah I had my long break. But any how I managed to be left with Quant and PM by now!! Hope I make it!! *fingers crossed*

Kudos to you guys for continuing right from Level 1 to Level 2. Just focus in on the the next 40 days and you’ll be set!

the end is near…just think about having THE ENTIRE SUMMER to do nothing but relax and party (party of course has multiple meanings in the finance world)

^^Agreed, its almost like being back in college where you have the whole summer to goof off and sit by the pool…except for the whole work thing. But it will be nice having Sundays to think about absolutely nothing.

smileygladhands Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i took L1 in Dec as well, and i’m really running > out of steam. > > Most of the people that were on the L1 forum and > took the test last dec seem to be doing L2 next > June. I should’ve done the same I disagree since I was in your shoes going into the exam last June. Now that I’ve taken the exam once, I’m privy to the type of tricks and traps CFAI will throw exam day.

bpdulog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > smileygladhands Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i took L1 in Dec as well, and i’m really > running > > out of steam. > > > > Most of the people that were on the L1 forum > and > > took the test last dec seem to be doing L2 next > > June. I should’ve done the same > > I disagree since I was in your shoes going into > the exam last June. Now that I’ve taken the exam > once, I’m privy to the type of tricks and traps > CFAI will throw exam day. Care to share?

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bpdulog Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > smileygladhands Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > i took L1 in Dec as well, and i’m really > > running > > > out of steam. > > > > > > Most of the people that were on the L1 forum > > and > > > took the test last dec seem to be doing L2 > next > > > June. I should’ve done the same > > > > I disagree since I was in your shoes going into > > the exam last June. Now that I’ve taken the > exam > > once, I’m privy to the type of tricks and traps > > CFAI will throw exam day. > > Care to share? There was a PE question in which we had to calculate returns on invested capital, etc. As you may know, the calculations are rather simple and straightforward. However, the CFAI decided to format the table so that the values provided were given at the beginning of the year, messing up all the answer choices if you assumed otherwise. So, whatever value you calculated for 20x1 was actually the ending value for 20x0. Ethics will be somewhat tricky. There will be questions along the lines of “Person A violated Standard X and not Y” and vice versa. It sounds easy, but there are many times when it seems like they violated both standards. There was one question in equity where we had to calculate PVGO or the price of the stock given PVGO. Earnings in time period 0 and time period 1 were given. For some reason or another, there was a huge debate on AF on why earnings in time period 0 should be used instead of 1 (still don’t understand the logic behind this), even though the formula uses E1/r. Surprisingly enough, the two big sections (FRA and Equity) seemed straightforward compared to other areas. I can’t find the post June 2009 exam thread, but there were a whole slew of things people moaned and groaned about (myself included).

E0 vs. E1 is reprised on Q8© in the curriculum on the chapter as well. PVGO only applies to “no-growth” company. So use E0, even if E1 is given or g is provided and enables you to be able to calculate E1.

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > E0 vs. E1 is reprised on Q8© in the curriculum > on the chapter as well. > > PVGO only applies to “no-growth” company. So use > E0, even if E1 is given or g is provided and > enables you to be able to calculate E1. Thanks cp, I think I understand the logic behind this. E/r would be the justified price of the stock if the firm has no growth. Adding in the PVGO factor takes into account all future growth, so adding the two together would leave you with the intrinsic value of the stock.

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > E0 vs. E1 is reprised on Q8© in the curriculum > on the chapter as well. > > PVGO only applies to “no-growth” company. So use > E0, even if E1 is given or g is provided and > enables you to be able to calculate E1. Are you sure about this? I’m looking in the CFAI equity book pg 325 and it clearly shows E1/r. I made sure to re-visit this area as I am a retaker and I used E1 on the real test, which I thought was correct.

smileygladhands Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i took L1 in Dec as well, and i’m really running > out of steam. > > Most of the people that were on the L1 forum and > took the test last dec seem to be doing L2 next > June. I should’ve done the same I was in your shoes in 2008 when I took L2 for the first time. I had taken L1 in Dec07 and was all hyped up to take L2 in June09. By May my brain was toasted. It was a struggle to finish all the practice problems and review the material. I put in a TON of hours, but failed as a band 10. The one benefit was exposure to the test questions. I knew what my weaknesses were and how best to approach the essay format. Managed to pass the June09 L2 exam.

to topher look at question 8© and its answer in the EOC problems…

Can someone point me to this ROIC calculation for PE? I can’t seem to find it under alternative investments, private equity. Just the general topic area its in would be fine. Thanks.

I think bpdulog is referring to the calculations for the gross and net irr for the PE valuation set.

Thanks CP.