If you're going to sit for CFA level one

Do you list it on your resume? e.g. “candidate for level one” On the one hand I think you should because it conveys an important point to employers and sometimes they don’t read the cover letter. But on the other hand “candidate for level one” only means you’ve at least signed up for the test and haven’t passed anything. What’s the rule of thumb?

it adds slightly more value than listing that you’re “proficient in microsoft office, including word, excel…”

CFA Level I Candidate

don’t even get yourself into that. it’s useless to put level 1 candidate. if the person who interviews you have taken or know about it, then it just makes yourself look stupid.

I put “CFA Level 1 Candidate” on my resume and was told that was a key point in getting me in for an interview. They wanted someone who was looking to go thru the program, and that showed I was pursuing it on my own. So I dont think it can hurt you, I dont know how often it will be a difference maker but what the heck, worked for me.

Man, an idiot can put in “CFA Level 1 candidate.” Seriously, WTF?! I would be embarrassed to put anything until “CFA Level 3 candidate,” and that’s stretching it a lot.

I would rather put: sublimity, “aspiring billionaire” than sublimity, “CFA Level 1 candidate” The latter is ri-frickin-diculous!!!

easy, killer. i don’t think it’s worth getting all worked up about a line on someone’s resume

If it’s a small boutique and you are right out of school it may be good to have on there, at least as a talking point and to show to your potential employer that you are willing to further your professional knowledge. No harm in it even though any schmohawk can sign up for it.

Taken from the careers page a firm where I interviewed ia few weeks ago: “The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree from a recognized university with a concentration in finance. A background in investment research and progress toward a CFA designation are preferable but not a necessity.” So that convinced me to put it on there. I think I would have left it off if I wasn’t looking for my first job straight out of college, though. I put it on there as a note to the scholarship that I got, though - I still think it’s too weak to stand on its own.

I dont see the harm in putting it on there. What, is the person reading your resume going to say “look at this schmuck, he is registered for Level 1 of the CFA” and then notice thats exactly what they want a job candidate to be doing for the position? I agree anyone who pays the fee can throw it on their resume, but that doesnt change the fact that it is good for your prospective employment.

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If it’s a small boutique and you are right out of > school it may be good to have on there, at least > as a talking point and to show to your potential > employer that you are willing to further your > professional knowledge. No harm in it even though > any schmohawk can sign up for it. completely agree with this. doesn’t mean you have any better chance of ultimately getting the job, but it shows a prospective employer your intentions for continued professional development.

schmohawk … heh heh

Interviewer: “CFA Level 1 Candidate, what’s that?” CFA Level 1 Candidate: “It’s this really cool program thing where my dad paid a thousand dollars, and I got these really neat books that teach me all about how you’re better off buying and holding market-tracking ETF’s over the long-run, which is really smart.”

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Interviewer: “CFA Level 1 Candidate, what’s > that?” > > CFA Level 1 Candidate: “It’s this really cool > program thing where my dad paid a thousand > dollars, and I got these really neat books that > teach me all about how you’re better off buying > and holding market-tracking ETF’s over the > long-run, which is really smart.” now that was funny

well if thats your interviewer then maybe you aren’t interviewing for the right positions.

this is addressed in the CFAI, Level I Book I

Steely Dan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you list it on your resume? e.g. “candidate for > level one” > > On the one hand I think you should because it > conveys an important point to employers and > sometimes they don’t read the cover letter. But on > the other hand “candidate for level one” only > means you’ve at least signed up for the test and > haven’t passed anything. > > What’s the rule of thumb? I would have written Steely Dan, C.F.A Partial Degree holder, Superior Stock Picking ability, Guaranteed Returns (I would even Italicize C.F.A and try to use bold.

^ Is this the ghost of Farley013?

I wouldn’t put it on a resume, but I would discuss it in cover letter and interview.