If you've ever applied through a company's website

…for positions in the financial services industry, how long did it take you to get a reply, assuming that they did reply? And also, what % responded? TIA!

1 - 4 weeks

In my case: four months to get a response. I, however, got that job. Around 5% responded.

try to go for the warmer sources like an alumni site. random boards won’t get you as much.

Usually within a week. However, a current colleague of mine is in the hiring process and it took him 3 weeks to make the first call. I’d say after 1 business week, write it off. If they ever call you after that, consider it a statistical anomaly.

Most of these electronic applications are like the NASA space craft sent into deep outer space with the little brass plate that shows the earth’s position in our solar system. No one knows if they will ever reach intelligent life. The same goes for your resume via the internet, but then again, one never knows. As stated above, they sometimes do respond.

TheEconomist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most of these electronic applications are like the > NASA space craft sent into deep outer space with > the little brass plate that shows the earth’s > position in our solar system. No one knows if > they will ever reach intelligent life. The same > goes for your resume via the internet, but then > again, one never knows. As stated above, they > sometimes do respond. +1… I’ve been @ this for awhile through various sources. Internet hasn’t garnered anything at all.

fxguy1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheEconomist Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Most of these electronic applications are like > the > > NASA space craft sent into deep outer space > with > > the little brass plate that shows the earth’s > > position in our solar system. No one knows if > > they will ever reach intelligent life. The > same > > goes for your resume via the internet, but then > > again, one never knows. As stated above, they > > sometimes do respond. > > > +1… I’ve been @ this for awhile through various > sources. Internet hasn’t garnered anything at all. Considering the state of the market, practically anything you do will garner nothing.

Untrue… I’ve been pleasantly surprised by reaching out to people in my network. Actually have some pretty promising stuff coming down the pipeline. Granted nothing is a sure thing, I have had fairly good luck with this route.

Untrue… I’ve been pleasantly surprised by reaching out to people in my network. Actually have some pretty promising stuff coming down the pipeline. Granted nothing is a sure thing, I have had fairly good luck with this route.

TheEconomist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most of these electronic applications are like the > NASA space craft sent into deep outer space with > the little brass plate that shows the earth’s > position in our solar system. No one knows if > they will ever reach intelligent life. The same > goes for your resume via the internet, but then > again, one never knows. As stated above, they > sometimes do respond. LOL +1

2.5 years. I applied for some job in my current company in 2006 and got a call for different position in 2008. I think my resume had the right keywords.

For my current position, I’ve been lurking on the company’s website for several months. As soon as my position was posted, I applied for it the day after. Got a response within 2 days.

Haha - JTLD is the best poster on this forum.

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Untrue… I’ve been pleasantly surprised by > reaching out to people in my network. Actually > have some pretty promising stuff coming down the > pipeline. Granted nothing is a sure thing, I have > had fairly good luck with this route. lol…

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Usually within a week. However, a current > colleague of mine is in the hiring process and it > took him 3 weeks to make the first call. I’d say > after 1 business week, write it off. If they ever > call you after that, consider it a statistical > anomaly. How can you consider that a statistical anomaly when the majority of the sample size is saying 1-4 weeks response. By definition there is still a 75% change that you would get a call in the remaining three weeks.

Because, genius, I’m giving MY opinion based on what I’ve experienced and seen over the last 3 years, not on what anyone else surmises here. MOST people here are actually saying they got calls back immediately or within a few days, but that it is possible over any length of time. To get a call back after 2 or 3 weeks happens, and so does getting a call back after a few months or even a few years, but not frequently. If a company is actively looking to fill a position ASAP and puts out a job billet and you apply, if they are interested in you and are on-the-ball looking to hire, don’t EXPECT a call back if you haven’t heard anything after a business week–if you do hear something back, thank your sign, God, karma, dumb luck, etc.