IFRS vs GAAP differences list

Hello everyone, my purpose with this thread is to create a list that will explain the differences between IFRS and GAAP, so that hopefully we can compile a comprehensive list before June 7th. I feel like the differences are mostly a matter of memorization and a list like this can definitely help with that. I’ll get the ball rolling with the most obvious examples

Revenue recognition (if outcome not measured reliably)

IFRS - Revenue only recognized up to the costs acquired in the current year. No profit recorded until contract completed.

GAAP - No revenue or expenses recorded until the contract is completed. Also known as completed contract method.

Write down reversal

IFRS - Reversal permitted to be reported on the Income Statement, but only up to the point from where from the asset was written down. The rest of the gains are recorded straight to equity.

GAAP - Reversal not permitted. (what happens in the case an asset appreciates in value here? Is it recorded straight in equity? Can someone help me out here?)

Inventory Accounting

IFRS - FIFO and weighted average cost permitted.

GAAP - FIFO, LIFO and weighted average permitted.

Valuation Allowance (Deffered Tax Asset)

GAAP - Contra account named Valuation Allowance created to make changes to the Deffered Tax Asset account.

IFRS - Deferred Tax Asset account changed directly.

These are the ones I can think of the top of my head. Please feel free to add any and/or make any changes to the statements, as well as correct any errors. Let’s hope we can create a comprehensive list before the 7th.

Thank You!

Hi gunner, i’ll just add a few with regards to cashflows

IFRS

- Interest received: CFO or CFI; Interest paid : CFO or CFF; dividends received : CFO or CFI;

- dividends paid : CFO or CFF; Taxes paid : CFO (may be CFI or CFO if proven); Bank Overdraft : not included in cash flow statement for IFRS purposes, (correct me if i’m wrong).

US GAAP

- Interest received: CFO; Interest paid: CFO; dividends received : CFO; dividends paid : CFF;

- Taxes paid: CFO; Bank overdraft: CFO

So i guess the underlying difference is that with IFRS certain cashflows can be categorized as either one or the other, whereas GAAP is clear about what goes where.

Research and Development IFRS - research expensed, development capitalized US GAAP - research and development both expensed Software Development For sale to others, capitalized once technologically feasible under both IFRS and US GAAP For internal use, research and development both capitalized under US GAAP

Disclosure of pension plan:

IFRS :

-service cost and past service costs, interest income or expense-------------- Income statement (expense)

• acturial gain/loss-----------------balance sheet (equity)

Gaap:

-service cost, interest expenses and expected return on assets-----------------------income statement (expense)

-past service cost, actuarial gain or loss----------------------balance sheet (equity)

http://thecfaexperience.blogspot.com/2011/10/comparison-between-ifrs-usgaap.html

Enjoy! I did it in level I in 2011

1 Like

I remember seeing this and it drove me nuts. hehe

Thanks for the post if you are the maker.

I have a really good summary that I found online, PDF version. If anyone PMR me I’ll send it to you via email!

Hey this would be a life saver if you could send this to me. garyaskew87@gmail.com