Ignoramus Maximus

yo…i just finished my undergrad in finance and level 1 and got a job at an asset management firm…thing is i’m doin client service and its about the most boring thing i’ve ever experienced!!! Since i’m real new to the industry…i’d really appreciate if anyone in the know could tell me what sorta jobs are available with my quals (ps.i’ll be writin level2 in jun08) i know i’m a dumbass…but i only started work last Monday!!! Thanks!

If you just finished undergrad in finance and have done any decent internships, you can really do anything (entry-level, obviously). I would, if I was you, try to get out of client relations ASAP. You can always move from an operational/trading post to a client relations post later on in your career; the opposite is not nearly as true.

read the various job descriptions in the various finance job boards online…should give you an idea of what you like/dislike and what you need to do to go there…

yeah… i need to get out of client relations ASAP!!! its just i was advised to get my foot in the door at a big investment bank and then try and move around…but they say u should only make a move after at least 6 months!!! Skillionaire and Ron…what do you guys do?

I am a Sr. Analyst at a major brokerage bank. I do internal financial modeling and data analysis pertaining to our corporate strategy, business planning etc. It took me a while to figure out that this is what I love to do (I have a MA in Econ, I did not know much about Finance or A/C until I took CFA Level I) Its a lot of fun, especially since it goes with my peaceful and calm lifestyle because I do not have to take much heat or attitude as I only work for internal clients who are department heads, CFO’s etc. as opposed to dealing with people in trading floor or outside clients who are always stressed out and whose moods are often tied to the various market indices. The peace comes at a cost though – I will never make money the kind of money that an investment banker, hedge fund manager, portfolio manager etc. makes (which is what most of the people you will probably encounter in this board do or are shooting for). But I love what I do and if I play all the cards right, a potential career path is Director of Finance or even CFO if all the stars line up someday!!! This is why I said read the various job descriptions in different posts which will give you an idea of the costs/benefits perks/pains of various jobs and help you evaluate what really matters most to you! -ron-

dude…that sounds awesome…and at least u doin what you love… i dunno…everyone here is tryin to be a trader or portfolio manager…i just dont wanna wait sittin around in a job i dont particularly love! would love to get into a junior analyst position…or somethin like that…

I finished my undergrad last year and passed level 1 thereafter. I was in audit and hated it, the job did not challenge me. At entry level I did lots of stock takes and vouching of receipts. Then I got a breakthrough and entered IB as a trainee, out of all the graduates who applied I was the only one who had passed/attempted level one and was the only one who got the job. I love my job, I do it with my whole heart, I don’t mind the once in a while late nights or working over the weekends, also love the fact tha I am paid for CFA’s, and the bonuses…let me stop there In short what I am saying is that you do not need experience to land a good job, just be willing to learn and work hard and also send a million job applications

kui Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I finished my undergrad last year and passed level > 1 thereafter. I was in audit and hated it, the job > did not challenge me. At entry level I did lots of > stock takes and vouching of receipts. Then I got a > breakthrough and entered IB as a trainee, out of > all the graduates who applied I was the only one > who had passed/attempted level one and was the > only one who got the job. I love my job, I do it > with my whole heart, I don’t mind the once in a > while late nights or working over the weekends, > also love the fact tha I am paid for CFA’s, and > the bonuses…let me stop there > > In short what I am saying is that you do not need > experience to land a good job, just be willing to > learn and work hard and also send a million job > applications …and some luck.

definitely need a little luck…but for now i’m gonna focus on this bad boy(lev2) since my job aint too stressed…tho i read a thread where someone said you’ll definitely fail working a 45 hr week…and i’m workin a 45 hr week and am definitely not failing!!!

luck… and lots of prayers