IHeartMath

Please fill us in on what you have been doing the last 6 months. I was this close to getting myself banned so I could adopt a new screenname after you went AWOL.

I was expecting this to say something like: “You… complete… me.”

I thought she was a myth…

basically i was extremely busy with work and studying for the actuarial exam i took this fall. not to mention being busy with the rest of my life. i am back for a little while before i go MIA again - doubling up on CFA level 2, an actuarial exam, and probably some other requirements, and work will be crazy in like 2 months. hahaha =)

Let me clarify my question–fill us in on anything INTERESTING that you’ve been up to in the last 6 months? Also what are you wearing?

well i recently took up skydiving as a hobby this summer… got licensed and all to solo jump. that was pretty fun and will continue to be an interesting hobby of mine! boring work clothes. sadly. the clear shoes come out at 10pm.

IheartMath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > well i recently took up skydiving as a hobby this > summer… got licensed and all to solo jump. that > was pretty fun and will continue to be an > interesting hobby of mine! > > boring work clothes. sadly. the clear shoes come > out at 10pm. Thats crazy, you must have done a lot of jumps to be able to go solo in just one summer. My roomate got lic. to skydive and he was out there jumping 2-3 times before class. Skydiving is such an awesome sport.

you only need 25 jumps to get your A license, 50 for B, etc. and actually once you get through AFF - Assisted Freefall, basically jumping with an instructor, doing a whole routine to show that you can get stable, move in the air, and pull your parachute and land - (takes between 4-12 jumps; i had wind tunnel time so it only took me 4 jumps) you can start jumping solo

Yeah but fitting that in while (presumably) having a full time job is time consuming and not cheap. Did you buy your own rig?

no i havent bought my own rig yet. gear rental is only $30 so it hasnt become worth it (yet) to shell out the 3-5 grand for my own rig, hopefully next season though. getting through AFF in 4 jumps really cut down on the cost though since its like $160 to jump with an instructor, but its only like 20 plus gear rental to jump solo. i jumped mostly on the weekends.

I’m debating on CPA or SOA, I currently work in risk/insurance, but CPA still seems a lot more versatile

IheartMath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > well i recently took up skydiving as a hobby this > summer… got licensed and all to solo jump. that > was pretty fun and will continue to be an > interesting hobby of mine! > > boring work clothes. sadly. the clear shoes come > out at 10pm. So that’s what those fb pics were all about, I thought that was your halloween costume. Btw what kind of clear clothes do you have to match the clear shoes?

cfagoal2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m debating on CPA or SOA, I currently work in > risk/insurance, but CPA still seems a lot more > versatile you would have to give more details about what you actually want to do but based on saying “risk/insurance” i would say you should go the SOA route. However, even just to attain your ASA or CERA (not even considering FSA at the moment) is more time consuming (and arguably more challenging) than the CPA. i would agree that the CPA is more “versatile” accross different areas, but going the SOA route will open more doors in risk management whereas the CPA would need to be coupled with some other designation and/or experience.

Not sure if I want to continue in risk management, I’m taking CFA afterall. And my last calculus class was in high school, took the advanced placement so I was granted college credit for it, I’m a business major so I haven’t taken any real technical math classes for a while. CPA/CFA combo also seems better than SOA/CFA, guess I’ll wait and see. Thanks for the advice

im doing the SOA (FSA)/CFA combo… and i cant say its better than CPA/CFA, it really depends on what you want to do… but if you havent had many math classes, or really any since HS then taking the actuarial exams is probably not for you.

I looked at the sample exams, seems it just require calculus 1-2? Yea it will definitely take me more time to prep than CPA but I wouldn’t think it’s completely out of reach. I still kinda remember basic calculus

well the first exam is on probability and yes, requires calculus. all of them assume you know calc. its not something explicitly tested. i would look through all of the exams, specifically sample exams and/or the posted practice problems on the SOA site since I dont think looking at the learning objectives will give you a clear picture of what they really expect from you on exam day… look up exams P, FM, MLC, MFE, and C… since if you cant pass all of those 5 you cant get at least your ASA which means there is no point in even trying to pass the first couple.

I did… they look very hard right now and I have absolutely no idea on most of them. There are some questions on exam P and FM I can do right now, but MLC MFE and C I have no clue on any of the questions. The calculus they assume you know is mostly different deriv and integral right? The study material should cover all the models. My my you edit your posts a lot… lol

Stop derailing my thread.

yeah the calc is just derivatives and integrals. but like i said, its all applied so its not like they’re testing you on some calculus problem. the models are covered in the study materials.