I'm done...

I just got axed…along with my whole company (all 11 of us). We’re a fund in Beverly Hills that was recently bought out by a publicly traded company. For whatever reason our high net worth business model does not fit in with their publicly-traded model (only brought to our attention after the fact). Anyway, time to detox from spending all market hours staring at a computer screen. I’m up for suggestions as to where to go relax in Brazil for a while. I would appreciate any advice on the best spots to revel in hedonism.

Sorry to hear that, man. Hope you take it easy for now and carry on in full force after a full re-charge break.

My dad just got laid off too. Chin up and do not feel sorry for yourself.

Hmm…Brazil, I hear that’s where the thong bikini was invented. Beaches, Booze, and Brazilian women. There’s a pick me up.

My pops was laid of as well… Definitely tough on him, always try to call to cheer him up but its tough sometimes… best of luck to you, check out Floripa

Thanks guys. I’m not the least bit depressed or anything. I’m actually excited. I didn’t think I was going to be able to travel for years.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My dad just got laid off too. > > Chin up and do not feel sorry for yourself. If I recall correctly your mum was recently laid off too, and now your dad is toast. And you are also looking for a job. In as much as someone may not like you it’s hard not to have some emphathy for you. Good luck. (I hope you are able to note how one word can make a difference in a sentence up there).

Thanks. Yeah, sympathy vs. “emphathy” - since you spelled “it’s” in the correct form, lol. I ask for no sympathy, and I usually give none, haha. My mom ended up not getting laid off, but a few of her group members did including the one in the adjacent cubicle. Furthermore, she’s still in jeopardy. My dad worked in a factory and was making sh!t money, so whatever - the problem is pension since he barely has anything (low 5 figures) and he’s in his mid-60s. I’ve been in graduate school forever and about to make some dough hopefully with a decent resume (good programming experience, quant PhD, and later on, CFA charter). These circumstances make for good motivation since I was born as a dirt poor displaced refugee (for example, no wealthy parents with professional degrees and pensions to put me through prep school) and have been poor all my life. I’m just ridiculously hungry for my piece and have no problems working more psychotically than anyone, so it’s all good. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will succeed.

Go sublimity, im sick of all these silver spoon types who whinge

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks. Yeah, sympathy vs. “emphathy” - since you > spelled “it’s” in the correct form, lol. I ask > for no sympathy, and I usually give none, haha. > > My mom ended up not getting laid off, but a few of > her group members did including the one in the > adjacent cubicle. Furthermore, she’s still in > jeopardy. > > My dad worked in a factory and was making sh!t > money, so whatever - the problem is pension since > he barely has anything (low 5 figures) and he’s in > his mid-60s. > > I’ve been in graduate school forever and about to > make some dough hopefully with a decent resume > (good programming experience, quant PhD, and later > on, CFA charter). > > These circumstances make for good motivation since > I was born as a dirt poor displaced refugee (for > example, no wealthy parents with professional > degrees and pensions to put me through prep > school) and have been poor all my life. > > I’m just ridiculously hungry for my piece and have > no problems working more psychotically than > anyone, so it’s all good. I have absolutely no > doubt in my mind that I will succeed. that’s some good sh!t right there. my dad always tells me “if you think you can, you can. if you think you cant, you’re right” i have respect for ambitious types…

sublimity you will make it my friend. Good luck dedalus.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks. Yeah, sympathy vs. “emphathy” - since you > spelled “it’s” in the correct form, lol. I ask > for no sympathy, and I usually give none, haha. > > My mom ended up not getting laid off, but a few of > her group members did including the one in the > adjacent cubicle. Furthermore, she’s still in > jeopardy. > > My dad worked in a factory and was making sh!t > money, so whatever - the problem is pension since > he barely has anything (low 5 figures) and he’s in > his mid-60s. > > I’ve been in graduate school forever and about to > make some dough hopefully with a decent resume > (good programming experience, quant PhD, and later > on, CFA charter). > > These circumstances make for good motivation since > I was born as a dirt poor displaced refugee (for > example, no wealthy parents with professional > degrees and pensions to put me through prep > school) and have been poor all my life. > > I’m just ridiculously hungry for my piece and have > no problems working more psychotically than > anyone, so it’s all good. I have absolutely no > doubt in my mind that I will succeed. These challenges will prepare you for the future, and believe me it will malke sense someday. Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you. Keep on keeping on. Best of Luck.

sub, I didn’t know that you have PhD in quant. You are second JDV now.

dedalus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyway, time to detox from spending all market > hours staring at a computer screen. I’m up for > suggestions as to where to go relax in Brazil for > a while. I would appreciate any advice on the > best spots to revel in hedonism. I like your attitude. Shanghai my friend, stay on Puxi side where the nightclub action and outdoor markets are located. The city is one big raging party. You can stay for weeks, live it up bigtime and it won’t cost you much.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > I’m just ridiculously hungry for my piece and have > no problems working more psychotically than > anyone, so it’s all good. I have absolutely no > doubt in my mind that I will succeed. Go Sublimity … crush them.

question is will he still post when he is rich and famous?

dedalus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just got axed…along with my whole company (all > 11 of us). We’re a fund in Beverly Hills that was > recently bought out by a publicly traded company. > For whatever reason our high net worth business > model does not fit in with their publicly-traded > model (only brought to our attention after the > fact). > > Anyway, time to detox from spending all market > hours staring at a computer screen. I’m up for > suggestions as to where to go relax in Brazil for > a while. I would appreciate any advice on the > best spots to revel in hedonism. I spent a little time in Salvador and surrounding beach-towns. Very nice, and not nearly as touristy as I expected. Never been to Rio, but I’m told its much more of a big-city, tourist-trap. The routine went something like, “wake up at 10, catch a glass of chardonnay and early lunch, watch some Capoeira street performers then hit the beach”

check out this resortish town called buzios, it’s about a 90 minute car ride from rio.

Thanks guys, one step at a time though. First gotta make the final push in the next 2 weeks to ace CFA Level 2.

good luck sublimity! our lives have many similarities i see…drop me a mail if you need anything