I'm going surfing on Friday morning...anyone else up for it?

yeah, sorry i misunderstood. that was ridiculous. lol!

man i wish i could i spent 4 months in australia this time last year…SICK -the surf is phenom. if you don’t consider the constant shark sirens…

man, I always wondered if you surfers thought about sharks a lot, or if it didn’t phase you at all. Now I have an answer. Those things scare the ever loving s— out of me.

In Oz and Mexico had a 15 footer swim under me and basically just shat my wetsuit and paddled in. Just saw this huge shadow underneath go by. Never paddled so fast in my life and never prayed like that in my life. I’m going to use those same prayers starting at 8am on Saturday morning. See if they still work.

GMofDen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In Oz and Mexico had a 15 footer swim under me and > basically just shat my wetsuit and paddled in. > Just saw this huge shadow underneath go by. Never > paddled so fast in my life and never prayed like > that in my life. I’m going to use those same > prayers starting at 8am on Saturday morning. See > if they still work. That’s crazy. How long did it take you to get back into surfing?

dude. seriously i don’t understand how you get back in the water after something like that. you probably looked like a freaking delicious seal to that 15 footer!

If you see a shark you just have to keep your hands out of the water. A shark usually doesn’t want to eat a human, but your hands look like fish jumping in and out of the water. I once had a wave coming right at me with two spinners inside of it. I closed my eyes and prayed and fortunately wasn’t bitten.

~5 days each time. Was really nervous and sat in the lineup sometimes with my feet up on my board instead of dangling. They were really weird spots to which made it creepier. Had friends that saw them too and they verified that I wasn’t seeing things or being a baby. I was used to small leopard sharks like in San Diego and they are harmless and usually only 2 -3 foot long.

My wife is going to San Diego on Thursday. I will tell her to watch out for leopard sharks :slight_smile:

Have her go snorkeling in La Jolla cove and she will see quite a few. They are friendly enough to where you can go and pet them. (although I never did cause I thought it was bad karma and didn’t want them to call on their distance cousin the white or tiger)

Sharks…yikes, had a 6 footer (relatively small compared to what you guys are referring to) swim under me in Bali, Indonesia…twiddled my toes to make sure they were still there… OZ: When I was in Perth, WA they told me a bodyboarder lost a leg to a ‘white pointer’ (that a Great White?) on Cottlesloe beach…nasty… I’ve surfed once in San Diego, Pacific Beach pier back in 2002…took a trip up to Del Mar whilst I was there too, more a long-boarders waves though, right? Scotland: it’s actually pretty warm at the moment by our standards, no need for hot soup after a session lol I’ve not been surfing for a few weeks now and I’m dying inside, thank-you Ms CFA… I’ve had too much caffeine, my brain isn’t working to finish up the book 7 exam I had started, going to call it a night… Roll on the surf trips that everyone has planned after this exam’s been conquered!

Kakane glad to see someone else gets in the water. I don’t think I could hack Bali. Not good enough to surf over gnarly reef 2 feet below. I like my beach breaks. Yeah white pointer is great white out there. I was a week late for an attack on a body boarder down near Bells when I was out there. Freaked me out a bit too. Got to get back to the studies but would love to swap a couple of stories after the exam. Would love to surf out in Europe someday…

Same here… wasn’t planning on studying Friday. Haven’t surfed for almost 2 weeks. Will sure hit the spot (if any swell) on Friday.

Morning all, that caffeine hit last night knocked my sleep pattern somewhat, not so bad since I managed to finish book 7 exam 1 pm a few moments ago… GMof Den: Would be great to swap a few stories of; how the surf almost always looks smaller from the shore whilst suiting up - a few hairy moment surfing point breaks in France!! How the cold water is the BEST cure for a hangover, now seriously it’s tradition that my friend and I surf on New Year’s day lol Hope to continue a few stories over the next few days/weeks/months (why do CFAI make us wait so long for results??)…