Immunization basic Q

The manager of a bond portfolio must immunize the portfolio with respect to a given set of liabilities. The manager is choosing between two immunization strategies: Strategy A and Strategy B. Strategy A has a lower return, lower risk, and a 99% probability of providing the required return to meet the given set of liabilities. The manager should choose Strategy B:

A) under no circumstances, because risk minimization is the point of immunization. B) if that strategy’s higher risk is justified by the higher return, and the probability of meeting the liabilities is equal to or only slightly lower than that of Strategy A. C) if that strategy’s higher risk is justified by the higher return, and only if the probability of meeting the liabilities is equal to or higher than that of Strategy A.

since only ‘slightly’…B would be my answer

Option C.

Wwhere is this question from? If the probability of meeting the required return is the same then obviously one would go for the efficient portfolio. But probability and risk go hand in hand. I am not sure about the validity of this question.

seems like an invalid Q to me.

agree, terrible question, but I will say C for the win

I would pick B. C sounds like not attainable.

it relates to the Return Maximisation thing on Classical Immunization extensions.

a) – never possible - hence eliminate…

b) sometimes possible (not in CFA land)

so it has to be C).

and confirmed by the Section 4.1.5 … (which I can’t paste here since I do not have the book with me).

If you get higher return - it is at higher risk - but that is only justifiable if you get a equal or higher probability of meeting the liabilities.

Choice B is closer to the 3rd extention of classical immunization than C.

I choose choice B

return maximization

if a substantial increase in return can be achieved with little effect on immunization risk, the higer yielding portfolio may be prefeered inspite of higher risk.

B - says equal to or slightly less prob…so ans B

didn’t it say “equal or higher” and not “equal or lower” …

2nd para from 4.1.5 in the book…

ANSWER PLEASE

This is a good point, now I’m not as sure of my answer.

after reading this example again, it doesn’t mention confidence (probability) increasing or decreasing, only risk increasing. In the book example the confidence band stays the same at 95%, but the probability of attaining their 8% needed return increases because the greater return overcompensates for the increased risk. I think this could have been written up better in the book to be a little more clear, the answer could possibly be C from this point of view.

Official answer is B from QBank and I had chosen C as all of you above!

This question sucks…

Can you post the explanation?