Index return Vs Portfolio return

Hi, Can anybody tell me the difference between index return and PF return? Do we take in dividends when calculating index return?

I’m assuming this is just a general question since it does not specifically reference any questions on the CFA 1. This would be a violation of the Code. But, dividends are not taken into account when calculating the return on the index. That is why if you buy a portfolio of stocks that mirrors and index, you will outperform the index over time since your dividends will be reinvested (presumably) to buy more shares.

Are you a december taker ? for the index it’s depend if you are calculating a price index or the total return. For the total return, u need to consider the dividend and for the portfolio return u have to consider all the fees that u paid, if you acquired your stocks through borrowing or not, if there are dividends etc

Miss*Yiota Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you a december taker ? > > for the index it’s depend if you are calculating a > price index or the total return. For the total > return, u need to consider the dividend Yeh Price Return vs Total Return.

Matori Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Miss*Yiota Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Are you a december taker ? > > > > for the index it’s depend if you are calculating > a > > price index or the total return. For the total > > return, u need to consider the dividend > > > Yeh Price Return vs Total Return. Submitted before finishing. As Miss Yiota stated, there are two index return calculations.

I agree with the total return point as well. Good addition.

this thread is a violation of the Code. I hope you all dont get reported. You know CFAI employees troll these boards right?

andytrader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this thread is a violation of the Code. I hope > you all dont get reported. You know CFAI > employees troll these boards right? that’s a good joke.

Not having been born with a sarcasm gland. Could you tell me how this violates the rules and regulations?

bottoms up?

cmacedo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not having been born with a sarcasm gland. Could > you tell me how this violates the rules and > regulations? if i told you how it violates it, it would be another violation.

What do you think about the TWAP question? I said D .134 basis points