Informal Lunch w/ small firm

I am having lunch with senior analysts and IBs at a boutique firm soon and was looking for some input. To give some background, I applied to this firm after my undergrad graduation but did not get in because other applicants were above my experience level. I did make it past several interviews though. There has been no talk of employment, just an informal lunch as I will be in the area. I would really like to work for the firm, so any help would be appreciated. *What should I really expect? *What should I wear? *How would I bring up potential employment? *Talking points? I have a few on the general market and companies I cover, questions on the firm, experience I’ve gained, continuing ed., etc…

This IS an interview. Prepare for it like you would an interview. They are going to watch everything you do. My father is a lawyer and they took a kid out of law school out to lunch, nice steakhouse. They sit down and order their steaks and before the kid takes a bite of his steak he begins salting it. Apparently he was dinged that instant b/c he didnt taste the steak before salting it. Lesson; Be aware of everything you are doing, manners, elbows, forks, knives, napkins. This is essentially an interview with food caught in the conversation.

Ask them where they see things going at their firm, what areas are growing, how they are navigating the crisis, what they wish they had better knowledge of or improved capacity to do. You get to that topic by getting them to talk about what they are doing. If any of these areas are areas where you clearly demonstrate confidence, you then say “oh, I’ve done some of X, or Y.” If not, you choose something in the list of what they’ve said that you would like to be involved in and say “I’d love to work on things like X, Y, and Z”. If they seem warm to the idea, you then follow up later with some info that can help them with their needs.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My father is a lawyer and they took a kid out of > law school out to lunch, nice steakhouse. They sit > down and order their steaks and before the kid > takes a bite of his steak he begins salting it. > Apparently he was dinged that instant b/c he didnt > taste the steak before salting it. Good story. I think if that kid knew why he got dinged, he’d breathe a sigh of relief that he didn’t get the job!

Wear a suit. They need to know that you can face clients. Do you know the analysts or is this a first meeting? If you have met them previously, it will probably be less formal. Make sure you’re equipped with specific questions and are knowledgeable of the firm and its recent activities. Consider whether they have an industry focus, and do some reading on that industry. Be knowledgeable about deals they have recently closed. They will likely ask you about your job experience so far, so go into detail about how it is relevant to what they do (i.e. tell them about specific financial modeling experience you have).

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This IS an interview. Prepare for it like you > would an interview. > > They are going to watch everything you do. > > My father is a lawyer and they took a kid out of > law school out to lunch, nice steakhouse. They sit > down and order their steaks and before the kid > takes a bite of his steak he begins salting it. > Apparently he was dinged that instant b/c he didnt > taste the steak before salting it. > > Lesson; Be aware of everything you are doing, > manners, elbows, forks, knives, napkins. This is > essentially an interview with food caught in the > conversation. Nice. Also given that your mom is French my guess is that he has acquired a special appreciation for the good food. Salting a steak like that is a major sin indeed. To the original poster, don’t pick your nose or fart loud.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My father is a lawyer and they took a kid out of > law school out to lunch, nice steakhouse. They sit > down and order their steaks and before the kid > takes a bite of his steak he begins salting it. > Apparently he was dinged that instant b/c he didnt > taste the steak before salting it. Apparently, that’s a classic mistake too. http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/salted.asp

i’ve heard that story before… lol

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This IS an interview. Prepare for it like you > would an interview. > > They are going to watch everything you do. > > My father is a lawyer and they took a kid out of > law school out to lunch, nice steakhouse. They sit > down and order their steaks and before the kid > takes a bite of his steak he begins salting it. > Apparently he was dinged that instant b/c he didnt > taste the steak before salting it. > > Lesson; Be aware of everything you are doing, > manners, elbows, forks, knives, napkins. This is > essentially an interview with food caught in the > conversation. what douche move, I’d probably suck it up and not put any salt on mine but as soon as I land another opportunity, I’d tell them to shine up that salt shaker real nice, turn that sob side ways and shove it straight it up, I’ll eat my salty steak however I like

cfagoal2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > This IS an interview. Prepare for it like you > > would an interview. > > > > They are going to watch everything you do. > > > > My father is a lawyer and they took a kid out > of > > law school out to lunch, nice steakhouse. They > sit > > down and order their steaks and before the kid > > takes a bite of his steak he begins salting it. > > Apparently he was dinged that instant b/c he > didnt > > taste the steak before salting it. > > > > Lesson; Be aware of everything you are doing, > > manners, elbows, forks, knives, napkins. This > is > > essentially an interview with food caught in > the > > conversation. > > what douche move, I’d probably suck it up and not > put any salt on mine but as soon as I land another > opportunity, I’d tell them to shine up that salt > shaker real nice, turn that sob side ways and > shove it straight it up, I’ll eat my salty steak > however I like +1 nuppal your dad is a b*tch

> > *What should I wear? > You say it’s a small firm? Depending on how formal they are you may need to wear full overalls. At the very least a straw hat. ________________________________________________________ “It’s after five. What do I look like, a farmer” – Alec Balwin

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > *What should I wear? > > > You say it’s a small firm? Depending on how > formal they are you may need to wear full > overalls. At the very least a straw hat. > > __________________________________________________ > ______ > “It’s after five. What do I look like, a farmer” > – Alec Balwin haha, awesome.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ask them where they see things going at their > firm, what areas are growing, how they are > navigating the crisis, what they wish they had > better knowledge of or improved capacity to do. > You get to that topic by getting them to talk > about what they are doing. > > If any of these areas are areas where you clearly > demonstrate confidence, you then say “oh, I’ve > done some of X, or Y.” If not, you choose > something in the list of what they’ve said that > you would like to be involved in and say “I’d love > to work on things like X, Y, and Z”. If they seem > warm to the idea, you then follow up later with > some info that can help them with their needs. Great advise!!!

That salt story is just an IB urban legend, no interviewer is stupid enough to reject a quality candidate for that reason.