Initial reactions?

Let’s get it started… People who sat Dec. 1, what say you?

I felt really good about the morning session. The afternoon session not so good, I found it more difficult. I sat in Melbourne

I feel the same. The afternoon session is more difficult. But I screwed up with the CFA logo quesiton in the morning session. I selected A which is NO. I was confused by the CFA logo and the CFA initials. By the way, do we have to get at least 168 problems correct to pass the exam? 168 divided by 240 is 70%

Interesting, I felt the morning session was more difficult than the afternoon. I sat in Minneapolis. The test didn’t really throw many surprises… lots of Ethics, FSA, and Asset Valuation. The Econ and Derivatives both kicked me in the nuts, but otherwise I thought it was managable. The amount of fund related questions in the AI section was surprise however.

the theory is at least 70% overall and in Ethics and FSA, Im sure that I bombed Eco, I usually do, Didn’t study eco much at all. Also I started to not concentrate in the 2nd session, really need air-con also!

First, I have to say I wasn’t aware of how addicted to this forum I am until they shut it down for a day and a half! It’s a little sad… The test was much more direct than I anticipated. The quesions were very straightforward. I thought the second half of the afternoon session was an ass kicker, but that could just be b/c my brain was fried by then. For me it’s going to be a close one, if I pass, it won’t be by much. I have my fingers crossed that I’ll be posting in LII forum next month!

I sat in London. I found the financial statement analysis section in the morning harder than the afternoon, while the asset val in the afternoon was harder than the morning’s. I also found portfolio management in the afternoon much easier going than the morning’s. Other than that, I thought the other parts were pretty even for both. It seemed like the Econ section had alot more macro than micro (especially in the morning). Ethics was as you would expect - i think one or two of the questions were pretty similar to the CFA online tests. The quants seemed pretty even for both sessions. Agree with the earlier point regarding the number of fund related questions. I should have spent a little bit more time on funds - they would have been easy marks to pick up quickly. But thats the beauty of hindsight. Overall, i think it was ok. I found myself with two answers to pick from more often than I would liked but I’ll let you guys know how it all worked out in Jan!

I thought the morning session was MUCH easier than the afternoon session. I felt pretty good after the a.m. part, and all those good feelings were gone by the end of the pm section. I sat in Boston. I had heard that we wouldn’t use our calculators that much, but seriously, I only used it about 10 times the whole test! You could actually pass that exam without a calculator if you know the concepts well enough.

yeh i also thought it was very very straight forward… sorta had me worried, cos i was always double-checking every question cos i thought “theres gotta be some trick somewhere” but yeh, for the most part it was just testing if you knew it or not…if you did, then you get it right…if you didnt, then fhk you… not sure which was easier, but i finished the second one pretty early, so had heaps of time to go back n correct mistakes

Wow, I can’t get 168 problems correct. I could at most 150 to 155 problems correct. Anyway, I know I won’t pass and have already registered for June. Hopefully the books will come soon. I hate the bundle of text books with the exam. Robb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > the theory is at least 70% overall and in Ethics > and FSA, > Im sure that I bombed Eco, I usually do, Didn’t > study eco much at all. > Also I started to not concentrate in the 2nd > session, really need air-con also!

I thought both were about equal as far as difficulty, but I also had a lot more time left over in the second half. The exam was a lot simpler than I expected… not easier, but more straightforward. I think I did well but I’m probably borderline… I don’t know how I’ll handle the next 6-odd weeks! Did anyone read the Standards of Practice Handbook the day before? I did at Schweser’s suggestion and was amazed how many questions were almost word for word out of the handbook…

tell me about it aimee… the partying hasnt really started until i get my results and see that i passed… i wish i did… i read the GIPS the night before though…

Aimee Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know how I’ll handle the next 6-odd weeks! You’ll be actively visiting this site for about a week, have four or five weeks free of anything related to the CFA exam, and then you’ll start getting anxious after that… Just relax and enjoy your time off from studying… there’s no point in getting worked up on something you can’t change. Edit: BTW Congratulations on all who showed up to the exam and got through it. I remember having a big smile on my face and feeling totally relieved after exiting the Javits Center last year. Hope you all felt the same way…

i didnt feel comfortable on the AM session, but am positive i completely dominated the PM session. you dont need to get at least 168 questions to pass the exam, as long as you score over 70% on FSA and ethics and between 60% & 70% on the others, you should be good. there were quite a few questions where i was completely lost.

now that you mention it, my anxiety levels have kciked up a notch…

Thanks a lot cart10. cart10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i didnt feel comfortable on the AM session, but am > positive i completely dominated the PM session. > you dont need to get at least 168 questions to > pass the exam, as long as you score over 70% on > FSA and ethics and between 60% & 70% on the > others, you should be good. there were quite a few > questions where i was completely lost.

I never post much to the forum except from time to time. I want to thank everyone coz I got a lot of help from the forum whenever I had a question - even simple calculator questions. Thx for your patience everyone. I sat in NYC…I found the morning session difficult, that I almost walked out…really. I cooled down and found the second session much more manageable. Anyone who sat in Hall 1A?..the proctors took so long to reconcile after collecting our session 1 papers - if only they new they were eating into my time to review for the second session. I hope you’ll all do well. I am 50 -50, I am not comfortable…but @least a finished. I partied so hard till 5am this the morning…just woke up! I needed IT. This forum is so addictive coz I can vent out about the exam frustrations.

im finding it hard to vent without being able to talk about specific questions though… have all exams around the world been sat? is there a time when we will be able to talk about questions? i spose it doesnt matter though…its over…

Bluey, you can vent now…all regions have already taken the exam…that’s why the post was blocked for a day. I can’t vent about any specific question but quant FSA was more than hard in session 1

I thought it was very hard… lots of questions were just 50-50 guesses… and probably I made many careless ones… so, I’m not optimistic at all…