INSEAD

There have some earlier posts expressing interest in the MBA program at INSEAD (from akanska?) - just following up to see if anyone has had any experience with INSEAD, whether simply through the application process, or having completed the MBA. More generally, if anyone from the states has completed an MBA program abroad and has insight into the pros and cons, could you please share?

It was me :slight_smile: My reasoning was varied. For one, the 1 year module is highly attractive. I’d rather loose 1 year of salary than 2, and considering I have the CFA I think no one could accuse me of not having all the knowledge gained in a 2-yr program. I also have an interest in an international career. I have no issue with moving from country to country every couple of years and actually went through college w/ intentions of going into the state department but fell into finance instead. My husband is an artist so I’m lucky in the respect that he can pretty much follow me wherever I please. I also want the exposure to the Singapore campus, having no asian travel/business experience. The recruiting seems very active w/ decent salaries and I feel like the student body would be increadible. I think entrance is extremely competitive. Originally I was hoping to apply for the Jan 2010 intake since it offers a summer break for internships, but I want my hubby to complete the naturalization process first, so I have to hold off until fall of '10 or Jan '11. But by then who knows?? Maybe I will have already hit the big time by then.

It sounds like INSEAD appeals to you for exactly the same reasons I find it interesting. I appreciate the entry/exit language requirements, among other things. The program has such an international bent that it seems like a natural choice if you’re interested in working abroad. I’m young enough that I also wouldn’t mind moving every two to three years. Do you know anyone who’s been through INSEAD? I can’t think of any friends or colleagues who have completed (or are interested in) an international MBA program.

my brother in law completed his MBA from INSEAD last year. he loved it. it was super intense though according to him. very international, much more so than US schools. i compared his program to mine at a US top school a few years ago. i feel like i definitely learned more via electives that INSEADers simply don’t have time for. it seemed that his program was basically 75% core curriculum + 25% electives, while mine was about 25% core + 75% electives. after listening to his experience, i still feel like i’d do the 2-year program, but thats my view.

You have to know 2 languages to get in.

I have 2 yrs of wrok exp in IT and an interest in finance…am a L2 candidate…what are the odds of getting a seat?? Looking for frank opinions…

rohufish - If its not asking too much I would love to drop you a note w/ some questions regarding your bro-in-law’s experience. I have a pretty unique background that I’m not sure how to present when applying next year for 2010 matriculation; it would be great to pick someone’s brain a bit since I have no connections to anyone who’s been through the process at a euro school. I’ve done lots of research and it seems like your description is right on- but thats kinda what I’m hoping for. I feel like the CFA is my specialization and what I’m missing is the broad picture that core marketing/strategy/mngt courses would provide. My email is akanska2 at gmail.

hey Ive got a question about those euro Mba’s… a curiosity really… but how come there never is any German program raked among the top100 worldwide?

The name escapes me, but there is a new program that began recently in germany that has all sorts of hype. Its *extremely* well funded and backed by many top employers like allianze and such. From what I remember its very well regarded but extremely small and quite regimented (german- yeah?) I think it takes a while to develop an alumni network and reputation among recruiters before a school gets a top spot on rankings.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The name escapes me, but there is a new program > that began recently in germany that has all sorts > of hype. Its *extremely* well funded and backed > by many top employers like allianze and such. > From what I remember its very well regarded but > extremely small and quite regimented (german- > yeah?) I think it takes a while to develop an > alumni network and reputation among recruiters > before a school gets a top spot on rankings. I hope you’re not talking about ESMT.

i’ve applied to INSEAD for the january '09 intake and am currently awaiting the admissions decision, which should come sometime this week. can’t decide which is more nerve-wrecking, this or waiting for the CFA results last week! i was attracted to INSEAD for all the reasons stated above :slight_smile: let me know if you have any questions regarding the application/interview process. there’s actually a great blog by an INSEAD-er from last year. i’ll look for it and post it later.

have you interviewed? If so- did you get any impression on how (if) they placed any value on your CFA progress? thanks!

I had 2 interviews with 2 different local alumni (standard for INSEAD) and although my second interviewer seemed sufficiently impressed with my CFA progress, they seemed to be looking more for “fit” than academic ability (that’s left up to adcom). However, i did emphasize CFA involvement in my essays, and it must’ve been of some value, since my GPA/GMAT were nothing spectacular (3.2/720) and i still got an interview invite. check out this blog: http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com/ he has a lot of useful information.

awesome- thanks. Keep us updated and best of luck!! Jan start is awesome since you’ll be able to do an internship over the summer. Are you switching industries? btw- where are you located? I always wonder if there are many alumni in my area (Dallas)- there is an alumni chapter in Houston so assume there must be a few in the DFW vicinity.

thanks! no, i will probably stay in finance. wouldn’t want my CFA to go to waste! although, who knows. INSEAD is a big mgmt consulting school so i might be tempted to switch. i’m located in NY. there seems to be quite a few INSEAD alumni in the US - never knew. if you can, apply for jan intake. i heard sept intake is tougher because you have to start the recruitment process as soon as you start classes. plus the extra time for internship is nice too. in your application, be sure to emphasize any international experience and/or interest in international work. they seem to really look for that. good luck!