"Inside Sales Rep"

Does anyone work in this position or know someone who does. Is it any good? Recruiter found my resume on workopolis ( even though I have it listed as confidential) and wants to send me for an inside sales with a reputable firm. I said I dont want to do cold calling, he said its not…??? Anyone have any comments?

It’s cold calling/phone work as you’re “inside”. Is it in wholesaling or retail?

i look at it like this. if this job is so great, they wouldn’t need to find people off of workopolis. you think Goldman Sachs is looking for people like this? nah. I had similar offers before. i usually don’t respond to people that come after me unless i submitted a resume. i don’t see RBC Capital markets hunting me down or even calling me back.

I will admit to having worked as an “inside sales rep” at one point in my life, and I can tell you it is pure hell. Do not waste your time. FrankArabia is correct - if they are coming after you, in that manner, then they are probably having trouble filling the spots they have available. A lot of turnover in those places…

I currently work as an Inside Wholesaler (just a different way of saying the same thing) and like most jobs, there are both good and bad companies to work for. In my role, there is no cold calling and it focuses more on the relationship management side though thankfully there are some technical aspects to it. I can see though that other, less reputable companies this job could be very similar to telemarketing. And to say that a job isn’t worth your while based on a recruiter making the first move is false is my mind. A lot of third party recruiters have great relationships with some of the best firms and you never know who’s the one pulling the strings. As far as exit ops, it does allow you to get to know PM’s better than most people. I have quite a few friends who were able to make the transition from Sales to working for PM’s based on the relationship they were able to forge. Granted, they were also doing things on the side, like the CFA, to better position themselves.

I agree with what EmoGeek has to say. i spent some time as an Inside Wholesaler and was able to build good relatiosnhips with the fund mangers and it opened some doors. I have to say that the pay to work ration is also very favorable… OK pay for doing SFA, eating out at the best resturants, some travel so hotel and frequent flyer points mean that your next vacation could be covered, plenty of time to go to tother job interviews/CFA study/independent reseach…

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i look at it like this. if this job is so great, > they wouldn’t need to find people off of > workopolis. you think Goldman Sachs is looking for > people like this? nah. > > I had similar offers before. i usually don’t > respond to people that come after me unless i > submitted a resume. i don’t see RBC Capital > markets hunting me down or even calling me back. Frank, I have to disagree somewhat. Sure there are jobs where people hunt you down for because no one wants them, but you would be surprised how many really good jobs never get posted because a good match is found. But I do see your point. I think from the other posts, it depends on your firm and your duties. A job like this could be pure cold calling or pure relationship management with focus on retention.

I agree with EmoGeek and CCM. I did it for a while, and I built some good relationships. The job is definitely different depending on what shop you work for, and who your boss is. In my last role, I was kind of an internal/ external hybrid and it was more relationship management than cramming product down someones throat. I also sat on the same floor with some of the PM’s and was in constant contact with them. It’s nice to be able to walk into a PM’s office, and ask why something is the way it is. It was a nice step up for me b/c I started in Ops…

Its a baby wholesaler role. Willy

From what I hear, wholesaling is a great job if you like sales. There’s alot of money in it as well, especially if you get into external wholesaling and manage a territory. If you don’t like sales then its not a “good” job.