Institutional Sales

What are the typical ways of breaking into this field

do u want to be equity sales, derivatives sales, or FI sales? or Bloomberg representative selling terminal?

Be young, good looking, and female.

big boobs. Seriously a female with looks and a ncie set is always a good asset to have in sales. I know many bosses who swear by it, as they often can get clients attentions and therefore get the sales. They need to have brains too though to close the deal. Its the ultimate combo

In my experience the vast majority of sales people in finance are men, in which case having boobs might be more a hinderance than a help! In this market, it would be very hard to break into sales. In ‘regular’ markets though a lot of desks will hire in grads as juniors. Some times analysts will move across from research. Plenty of other less orthodox routes too I’m sure. It’s really just about getting the interview and then convincing them that you’re a natural born salesperson. Do you think sales would suit your personality type?

From what I gathered, be a man with boob implants.

I would have taken a sales route as I have a huge pecker as my asset, but unfortunately you have to keep it covered up as its not socially acceptable otherwise

A good, dear friend of mine is a very successful IS VP for one of the Canadian Banks, previously of one of the more noted Canadian independants until they were taken out by a Canadian fund co. Anyways, he commented that occassionally you’ll have to get a good break to get in and whether that’s looks, boobs or a closet full of Zegna suits the point is that after you get in you have to really hussle and work hard and he did THATS why he’s doing well. All of those other factors GET you a job they don’t allow for you to KEEP your job. Willy

Willy, can I get in if I’m more of a Canali guy? I hear they like guys that can hold down their JD shots… Why did your buddy leave BM?

What do you mean by institutional sales? Do you mean selling stocks/bonds/other to funds or selling asset managers to institutional investors? It can mean a lot of different things. For the former, most people get those jobs through investment banking programs coming out of a top undergrad or B-school.

Digging up an old thread here, but I was wondering if anyone knows the comp structure for Institutional Equity Sales/Trading. Let’s say my hedge fund trades $1 worth of commission through JPMorgan’s desk. How much does the research salesperson and the sales trader earn on that dollar?

a huge set of cans is always a great advantage. Huge pecker…not so much

^agree

scandoworker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would have taken a sales route as I have a huge > pecker as my asset, but unfortunately you have to > keep it covered up as its not socially acceptable > otherwise RIP Scando. He was swooped up in the last ban spree.

Really?

Whoa whoa whoa, how did we jump from the subject of big cans to scandoworker all of a sudden?? I don’t know what anyone else thinks but my idea of the perfect institutional salesperson is Diora Baird. Google her all-natural cans if you don’t who she is.