Interesting Commute Today

FWIW, I would have reacted the same, mainly due to not having an opportunity to get wound up about the situation and also just the total faff of having to get the police involved etc when you just want to get to work.

Pretty sure I wouldn’t have skipped out at lunch and bought a gun though…

Most of this could have been avoided if you took a beating like a man.

As I get older, I realize, it’s never worth it to fight. End the end, it’s probably better to just give the guy $100 and tell him to beat it. You knock him out, and he hits his head wrong on the concrete, even if justified, you’re going to get hit with some frivolous lawsuit that will reduce your income, if only for time. Counter sue and he’ll have nothing. Don’t get me wrong though, if my family or my life is threatened with no way to escape, im gonna be blasting, regardless of consequences.

^ Fighting is the only solution in this scenario.

Look at the alternative. He cowered in his car and now he thinks it’s a great idea to carry a weapon. That will only embolden him next time to act like an a$$ and it will escalate to a worse (tragic?) outcome.

Taking it like a man is the best lesson. If he got his brains knocked out, trust me he would never tailgate another stranger again. Trust me. He would take the high road which would have avoided all this nonsense. Trouble occurs when there are no physical consequences to your actions. Same goes for the other dude. If he got his brains knocked out, he would never run after a car in the middle of the highway again.

Best case scenario would have been both men getting injured and then figuring out that acting childish on the road has physical ramifications. It’s the only way to get humbled.

^yea but then we lose 2 posters on AF and some granny wont get paid

Dude, the “tailgating” was the result of me trying to slow down for him, not like I sped up for it and I’m being generous by calling it tailgating. It wasn’t aggressive, I don’t know how else to make it clear that I really didn’t instigate this. I only mentioned it because it is all I could come up with to explain this guy purposely hitting my car then jumping out and beating the window. People get shot for not letting someone merge. Is the solution to then just always let everyone merge and drive 10 under on the highway? Then what happens if someone tailgates you and the same thing happens for going to slow. You’re really reaching here. I did not engage this guy and AT NO POINT WAS I EVEN MILDLY MAD.

All that being said. I’ve never fought for pride and never would. I’ve always said this. I don’t think there’s anything about it related to being a man. I boxed in golden gloves the entire time in college so I understand the idea behind taking a beating but I’ve never been in a real fight because frankly as shocking as this may seem to you guys I’m not a hothead in real life. It’s just stupid. I’m a genuinely nice guy and there are more than a dozen people that have met me on this forum that can vouch for that.

So what would have happened if I got out and for some reason he did get his head hit on a curb or by a passing car. Or maybe a cop shows up and we both get assault charges and I lose my job with a family depending on me. Maybe I get knocked out and hit my head and my daughter grows up without a Dad. Or I get bloodied and have to go change then show up two hours late for work bruised up, explaining that for some reason I decided to fight a guy over some completely bewildering shit when honestly all I wanted to do was go to work. So stupid, what is this kindergarten.

And as for having a gun. Even if I had a gun in this situation I don’t think I would have pulled it. This was the best possible outcome. All I’m saying is that in the state of rage this guy was in and given that he’d already hit my car then assaulted it for reasons I was actually unclear on, the only reason he didn’t pull a gun is because he didn’t have one. So as an extra precaution I now have one. Most likely in a situation like this, I would have simply kept it on me and called cops to the scene, staying in my car and knowing that if he broke my window I would use it to defend myself. If you want to get offended by that fine. But anyone that thinks I’m in the wrong here or should have fought some random guy in front of his mom is either stupid or 16 years old (same thing).

^ I didn’t read your entire rant, I’m guessing you’re defending your decision.

All I would say is that I wouldn’t be surprised if you end up in this situation for a 3rd time. And I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if the other dude ends up in that situation again sometime this week.

An armed society is a polite society. You want to take the risk of critically injuring the guy, (it’s a street fight,anything could happen), his momma, and baby momma going on tv and saying he was a good boy until some rich 1% bsd with a $500/hr lawyer, knocked his ass out in the middle of the freeway? This guy is already shown to be an idiot, which tend to stick together. You want them coming by your work, or your house and jumping you, or worse? Not me man, I saw enough of that growing up, not for me.

Im sure all of us here have better things to do than fighting people, let the idiots deal with each other. As arrogant as I may sound, those people are beneath me. If you walk by a dog chained to a tree, and he barks aggressively at you, are you going to yell at it to teach it a lesson?

@Black swan Don’t you turn green when you get angry? I presume that the other guy has seen hulk movie and he is aware of the ‘smash’. JK.

I see lot of AFers agree with Gandhi’s philosophy of non-violence for a better society.

It would make sense to read it.

Figure skating style with my palm on her ass.

I’m with BS on this one. There are a ton of angry psychos out there. A gun is something you want in the worst case scenario even if ideally you never have to pull it against another

I read somewhere recently that UFC has changed how people fight on the street. I have to admit that whenever I watch UFC and see a ground and pound it really bothers me.

The idiot can tap. No need to die on your sword. It’s a sporting event.

Yeah, but often after that first solid hit you’re spaced out, not really aware of what’s happening and things are moving quickly. Hence the discomfort.

When I boxed for about four years the level of shock from a hard head shot was really eye opening. I thought I grew up knowing what it felt like to get hit but man it really rattles you. Without gloves or with those small UFC gloves it must be brutal. I took a few beatings in boxing and never had an interest in going through that in an uncontrolled environment (or even a controlled one) aftewards.

Do mma fighters claim after the fight they would have tapped or tapped sooner, but because of their scrambled brain they carried on? Never heard the claim. And they have to at least be attempting to defend themselves. Can’t be too out of it, no?

Speaking of ufc, I recommend the full video of Bas Rutten self street defense if you want to learn some technique, or see just how dirty fights can get.

^nick drossos has some good stuff for self defense too.

Dude, once that first major hit lands you really don’t know what’s going on. You don’t know if you would have tapped sooner, you don’t even really have a solid idea of events. You can still be attempting to defend yourself by reflex and not really have an idea what you’re doing. There have definitely been a few strong cases where everyone agrees the fight went too long and the long term brain damage from those impacts is well documented at this point. We’re not talking about all the little hits, we’re talking about that sequence of 5-10 seconds or so when the guy takes a huge hit then drops and is getting hammered while his opponent attempts to seal the fight and the ref is waiting to be sure he’s done to avoid calling it too soon. I just don’t watch UFC, it seems so brutal and something about it seems wrong to me.

In one of the sparring matches I was in boxing (this was like 12 years ago) I remember taking a jarring shot and then just feeling like I was floating in black space for about a minute. Turns out it was probably about a few tenths of a second because I remember opening my eyes just in time to see the glove and get rocked a second time. Then by pure reflex even though I’d never been hit like that before I wrapped up the guy and held on for a few seconds because even though I was consciously there as soon as I took the second hit I began sinking towards the floor, my legs just weren’t responding. I was able to finish out the next few rounds but wound up with a deviated septum that had to be operated on and a bad headache for a day. I still remember it because it was the first time I’d really experienced that kind of a hit and it was eye opening.

The point is, I can’t even imagine the damage that’s being done by a UFC level fighter with smaller gloves when you’re stunned and down at the end. You can train and bulk up all you want, but a head is still a head and they take the same damage as you and me under a direct impact.