Intern--What should I make her do?

I just made her read summarize some research and do a mailing today. I’m going to derivate a lot of these suggestions though. Keep in mind she is only a freshman, which could be a good or bad thing.

CPAbeatsCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yes this thread has been a huge let down. its > probably because everyone is just too busy > studying for June 5 to be creative…i like the > summarize MD&A request and excel modeling with no > mouse…that would be the finest torture and she > would probably quickly leave the finance world. > > caution - you’ll probably lose that client account > if thats someone’s daughter. I think the thread you guys want wilbel found in the back-office after this weekend. After the ASSETs have been managed in-depth.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just made her read summarize some research and > do a mailing today. I’m going to derivate a lot of > these suggestions though. > > Keep in mind she is only a freshman, which could > be a good or bad thing. you really need to abuse your power here…but do throw her a bone every once in a while, like letting her out at 6:45 on fridays instead of 7pm!

CPAbeatsCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I just made her read summarize some research > and > > do a mailing today. I’m going to derivate a lot > of > > these suggestions though. > > > > Keep in mind she is only a freshman, which > could > > be a good or bad thing. > > you really need to abuse your power here…but do > throw her a bone every once in a while, like > letting her out at 6:45 on fridays instead of 7pm! What kind of “bone” are we speaking of? lol

Nuppie you still havent given her a rating so if we know she is bone throwing worthy!

out of 10, maybe a 5/6. Nice eyes, but not my type.

maybe she can take over your coffee duties

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > maybe she can take over your coffee duties My coffee is too easy. I have a 16 oz cup that I fill with ice then pour to the top with black coffee. thrice a day.

When I got my first internship, my supervisor had me do book reports - a 3 page summary with 2 page “lessons learned” section was due every Monday morning. Not terribly useful for the clients, perhaps, but I ended up getting a lot out of it, and feel it was one of the more useful assignments I had all summer. Just go through your bookshelf at home, and pick out the classics: When Genius Failed, Liar’s Poker, Intelligent Investor, Where are the Customers’ Yachts?, FIASCO, Predator’s Ball, Barbarians at the Gate, etc. It sucked having to go home and read so much after work, but I probably wouldn’t have read half of them without the mandate, and I’m easily better off for it.

Not sure this post is a joke, but if it isn’t you have serious problems!! Bask in any “power” that you think you have privately.

L3BeatIt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not sure this post is a joke, but if it isn’t you > have serious problems!! Bask in any “power” that > you think you have privately. Half joke, half serious. Kind of like my personality? The serious part is that since I am very fresh in the field (less than 1 year) I cannot really come up with VERY meaningful work for an intern to do. I remember my internship and the meaningful stuff and she is doing that now. Other suggestions (summarize MD&A, listen to conf calls and summarize, data entry) are all very useful to me and something that I would have probably automatically done. Sorry if I am DOMINATING too much.

L3beatit is obviously a fem…whatever my vote is still for abusing power in this situation

UndergradCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I got my first internship, my supervisor had > me do book reports - a 3 page summary with 2 page > “lessons learned” section was due every Monday > morning. Not terribly useful for the clients, > perhaps, but I ended up getting a lot out of it, > and feel it was one of the more useful assignments > I had all summer. > > Just go through your bookshelf at home, and pick > out the classics: > When Genius Failed, Liar’s Poker, Intelligent > Investor, Where are the Customers’ Yachts?, > FIASCO, Predator’s Ball, Barbarians at the Gate, > etc. > > It sucked having to go home and read so much after > work, but I probably wouldn’t have read half of > them without the mandate, and I’m easily better > off for it. I would suggest this too, if you want her to actually learn something. But definitely abuse your power, too - at least a little.

I’m gonna Ice her.

Oh god, that’d be awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3gwlXAW5fY&feature=player_embedded They cancelled school…because of all the ICE on the ground!

Oh if she’s a freshman, she probably hasn’t really even taken any finance related classes yet. If that’s the case, I like the book report idea, but I don’t think that adds much for you.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh if she’s a freshman, she probably hasn’t really > even taken any finance related classes yet. If > that’s the case, I like the book report idea, but > I don’t think that adds much for you. We’re paying her so she needs to add value.

Ask for a second intern and do a little ATOGM with them.

train her to be a relief expert…

Yeah remind her everyday that the last intern DOMINATED his position.