Internal job search advice

just wondering if you guys could give me some advice, ive never applied for jobs internally before. i work at a bank and after being in your current position for 2 years, you are allowed to apply for other internal jobs without getting your managers approval. but they do say your manager can be contacted at any time during the process and once they decide to interview you, you have to tell your manager. since my 2 years is almost finishing, i wanted to search for internal jobs after that. at the same time, i dont want it to affect my chances of getting promoted. i do like my job, so i would be picky about what internal jobs i apply for. i was just wondering if i should tell my boss in advance that im going to be keeping an eye out for internal job opportunities? our whole team plans to meet in december to go over next years plans, and im just thinking he may not like if i make all these plans for next year and then tell him last minute that i want to switch jobs once i find one i like? but telling him in advance would mean i wouldnt get promoted and who knows how long i keep staying in this position without finding another job i like. any advice is greatly appreciated as usual, thanks guys!

jimjohn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just wondering if you guys could give me some > advice, ive never applied for jobs internally > before. > > i work at a bank and after being in your current > position for 2 years, you are allowed to apply for > other internal jobs without getting your managers > approval. but they do say your manager can be > contacted at any time during the process and once > they decide to interview you, you have to tell > your manager. > > since my 2 years is almost finishing, i wanted to > search for internal jobs after that. at the same > time, i dont want it to affect my chances of > getting promoted. i do like my job, so i would be > picky about what internal jobs i apply for. i was > just wondering if i should tell my boss in advance > that im going to be keeping an eye out for > internal job opportunities? our whole team plans > to meet in december to go over next years plans, > and im just thinking he may not like if i make all > these plans for next year and then tell him last > minute that i want to switch jobs once i find one > i like? but telling him in advance would mean i > wouldnt get promoted and who knows how long i keep > staying in this position without finding another > job i like. > > any advice is greatly appreciated as usual, thanks > guys! you need to sit down with your boss to discuss the future first and foremost; don’t wait until December. It all depends though, if you like your job then have a list of reasons why you should be promoted. If you’d rather work in another field, be straight up with your boss. Going behind his/her back is never good and definitely don’t expect a recommendation if you do. But if you talk to him, usually they’ll be glad to help you out. This is exactly what I’m going to do with my boss in the next week or two.

thanks a lot packattack! i do like my job now but it is also starting to get a bit repetitive. plus i dont think theres a lot of opportunity to be promoted within my team, although within my department there are many different areas i could try to go into. but i think youre right i guess i need to think about if i want to stick around or move and then talk to my boss either way.

I have been in the same boat as you, and have moved internally before as I work for a big place. Your boss should never be mad if you are looking for something that is a step up from what you do now. usually, if I get contacted for an interview for the position I applied for, I will then tell my boss. Keep it simple say it sounds pretty interesting with what you’d like to do, more responsibility, etc, and that you want to learn more about it. He should definitely understand if you move for lack of opportunity in your group. I recently did that, interviewed but didnt really like the position and explained that too my boss. He said it’s good to learn about other positions in the company by doing stuff like that. I guess every boss is different, but if you include them, ask for their advice, etc, they usually seem to feel respected and will help you in your decision.

dude, ive been trying to transfer for 3 years now…have sat down with my boss and discussed my potential with in the department, their plans, my plans etc. Even though I have been told repeatedly that I am free to apply to any position internally, I was told by HR (friend of mine that deals with internal transfers) that my manager contacts the hiring managers in advance telling them not to interview me since i am an important member of my group. 3 years, no raise, kept behind…I guess you can’t expect anything good from a person stuck doing the same thing for 15 years…have thought about leaving the company several times but the job market is absolutely horrible in boston. either way, I hope your boss is a better person than mine and lets you transfer… good luck

Rich2dis what is ur backround? You work for state street?

Get_rich2dis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dude, ive been trying to transfer for 3 years > now…have sat down with my boss and discussed my > potential with in the department, their plans, my > plans etc. Even though I have been told repeatedly > that I am free to apply to any position > internally, I was told by HR (friend of mine that > deals with internal transfers) that my manager > contacts the hiring managers in advance telling > them not to interview me since i am an important > member of my group. 3 years, no raise, kept > behind…I guess you can’t expect anything good > from a person stuck doing the same thing for 15 > years…have thought about leaving the company > several times but the job market is absolutely > horrible in boston. > > either way, I hope your boss is a better person > than mine and lets you transfer… > > good luck Your boss is an Arsehole. How can he be allowed to do something like that? Why don’t you challenge his assessment of you? Go talk to HR.

Do you work with Topher? That boss sounds like someone slammed on here before.

I spoke with SSgA HR about this, but since my manager considers me to me a vital part of my group’s daily tasks, I am at their mercy. CFAvsMBA, i dont work with topher…my boss is some french canadian dude honestly, i know that even with my experience, i need to atleast clear level 2 to even consider applying for a junior research analyst or a junior analyst in another capacity, I am just trying to transfer from CA to Port Admin…I think working in that capacity will expose me to a lot more with in investment operations and help me gain valuable experience for when i do start applying to junior analyst positions…so lets see what happens, I am hoping to find a PA gig at FMR when it becomes available. Thanks for the support though, I do sincerely appreciate it.

Get_rich2dis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I spoke with SSgA HR about this, but since my > manager considers me to me a vital part of my > group’s daily tasks, I am at their mercy. > > CFAvsMBA, i dont work with topher…my boss is > some french canadian dude > > honestly, i know that even with my experience, i > need to atleast clear level 2 to even consider > applying for a junior research analyst or a junior > analyst in another capacity, I am just trying to > transfer from CA to Port Admin…I think working > in that capacity will expose me to a lot more with > in investment operations and help me gain valuable > experience for when i do start applying to junior > analyst positions…so lets see what happens, I > am hoping to find a PA gig at FMR when it becomes > available. > > Thanks for the support though, I do sincerely > appreciate it. According to AF, People would laugh if you join FMR

At this point, I’m not sure what to do, waiting to hear back from B schools…if I get in, then I guess thats the easiest way out, otherwise I might have to consider leaving Boston.

3 years with no raise? Er yeah… no wonder you’re trying to get out of there.

Get_rich2dis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I spoke with SSgA HR about this, but since my > manager considers me to me a vital part of my > group’s daily tasks, I am at their mercy. > > CFAvsMBA, i dont work with topher…my boss is > some french canadian dude > > honestly, i know that even with my experience, i > need to atleast clear level 2 to even consider > applying for a junior research analyst or a junior > analyst in another capacity, I am just trying to > transfer from CA to Port Admin…I think working > in that capacity will expose me to a lot more with > in investment operations and help me gain valuable > experience for when i do start applying to junior > analyst positions…so lets see what happens, I > am hoping to find a PA gig at FMR when it becomes > available. > > Thanks for the support though, I do sincerely > appreciate it. What do you do, CA? You cleared level 1 yet? Clearing level 1 doesn’t mean much in SS nor will clearing level 2. My suggestion would be to apply for performance measurement/client relations after you clear level 1 or 2. They usually take people who are gunning for the CFA.