International School of Management (ISM) and Doctorate in Bi'niss

Whatup gents?

Been a while since I’ve been on. Wanted to get some feedback on a potential power-hacksaw move I’m considering.

My background is I was trying to hustle to the front office - did a masters of finance part-time and CFA program while networking and trying to get over. Had a recruiter reach out and ended up starting a finance team for a scale-up software company (~100 people when I started and 13mm revenue, now around 1,000 and 110mm), and also started a PT MBA from the best b-school in my midwest state. I’ve got 1 class left.

About a year after I started, I transferred to an operations role and built out a team that works sales strategy/execution, corporate pricing, and new market development/analysis.

The MBA has been of great value - there have been multiple business ideas that I’ve developed as a result of my classes that have had meaningful impact on the business. In the last month, I’ve done a couple exec ed classes at Booth in Chicago, and it’s sparked me wanting to continue to learn - and also shown me the difference caliber of instructors make. In hindsight, I would have tried to get into an EMBA at a higher ranked school.

So the short of it is - I’m now looking at other opportunities - and came across the part-time PHD program at ISM:

http://www.ism.edu/PhD-Program/ism-s-doctor-of-philosophy.html

The only thing I know about ISM is a dude I work with was getting his MBA there, and he said it’s badass. Anybody have any experience with ISM, or know much about the caliber of the professors?

My goals are to continue focusing on how the company I work for expands into new areas, and also potentially our European/global expansion (I may have an opportunity to run our Advanced Planning team, which is new and formally evaluates product/usage expansion, and also potentially to be the 2nd man up on our European team and helping run that group).

What do you guys think?

Phd’s in business are worse than worthless unless you’re aspiring to be a professor at a regional university.

^ +1

why get a PhD unless you want to be a professor?

Good to know.

Might want to adjunct at some point nearer retirement, but was moreso looking just to gain knowledge that can be applied to drive revenue growth. I enjoy learning.

Another thing to add - this wouldn’t be about credentials or job shifting. My company would pay for it. It would just be to learn shit I could apply.

Better off doing a technical masters in a related field or just spending that time developing some sort of side project in whatever it is you do.

Sup man. Good to hear that your career has progressed. I don’t know much about this program, other than the knee jerk reactions that you have already seen. At your career stage, you are probably more interested in the self improvement potential, rather than just the brand name of the program. This is highly specific to your situation, so I imagine that alumni of the program would be the best resource for you to learn more.

A well known program will benefit a broader range of people. Let’s say Stanford Business School will be worthwhile to 90% of their graduates. A more specific program, like this Phd thing, might be worthwhile to maybe 25% (just making up this number) of its graduates. A lot of people would be better off doing something else, but that doesn’t necessarily apply to you.

I’m sure you’ll get something out of the program - knowledge, connections, improve presentation skills, or just structured learning environment that most people are too lazy to do on their own. Since monetary cost is not a factor, it’s just a question of your time cost.

practical application…in a PhD program?

I haven’t heard of ISM. If you liked Booth, why don’t you try to go there for the PhD…

Also, as said above, many will go into academia after a PhD, but hedge funds often like to hire PhDs depending on which school and specialty you choose.

Those guys typically have their PhD in something related to Quant crap. I don’t think a PhD in philosophy would help…anybody, ever.

Disclaimer: I just read OP’s post and saw “PhD” and “philosophy” so I assume that what’s going on here. Didn’t click the link. If we’re talking about math or engineering, then yes, it would help.

Wait you know, PhD means Doctor of Philosophy, right? I suppose there are also PhD degrees in Philosophy, but that is some Inception level shit. But, yeah, point is that this level of degree is generally for academic purposes, because at some point, practical people ask - Wait, why the hell am I doing this? What is the point? Etc.

^Uh, no I actually had no idea. For some reason I thought you could get your PhD in other fields.

Now I’m wondering why the hell we have guys on our quant funds with PhDs…what sense does that make?

Edit: Should have googled first. Obviously there are PhDs in other fields. I’m running a bit slow today.

My Dear OP Sir.

I would do the opposite of anything Black Swan has to say.

Frankly, I find Black Swan the greatest troll of all time. Not only did he fail out of Business School, he also impregnated a young woman giving rise to the growing population of illegitimate children. Classic trolling; no way anyone is so pathetic. He is a fantastic satire.

This won’t piss off anybody here, you can do better.

wait a minute, are you telling me that all of these worthless college grads with Bachelor degrees majored in subjects other than Art? I must revisit my resume filtering criteria.

^ Can he?

Obviously some studied “science”.

Ha - nice audible into some trash talking and a dopeass inception line. Swan you gotta hit the books more and go bareback less - congrats on the kid doe. Stay up young blood.

Thanks again bros. Shelfing this one and will check some other options out - Booth has an advanced management program, and also their classes in general are badass, so might try to stretch into some more stuff there.