Interview at MCD - (kkent)

I will be interviewing for a position on the property management team. It will include targeting new restaurant locations, evaluating real estate, among other things. Does anyone have insight? I know MCD is in the business of real estate- they simply operate in the industry of fast food franchising.

My uncle owns about 8 of them. And their fries are delicious…otherwise the food is crap.

wanderingcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My uncle owns about 8 of them. > > And their fries are delicious…otherwise the > food is crap. Pretty good coffee too for the price.

wanderingcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My uncle owns about 8 of them. > > And their fries are delicious…otherwise the > food is crap. your uncle is probably very wealthy

CPAbeatsCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wanderingcfa Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > My uncle owns about 8 of them. > > > > And their fries are delicious…otherwise the > > food is crap. > > your uncle is probably very wealthy He does quite well. I must say he worked his a$$ off though. He worked for LAPD for 20 years (started when he was 20), retired and then started by buying 1 MCD. Slowly grew that to 8 over the last 20 or so years.

I know a guy who owns 3 McDonalds. Started at the bottom when he was 15. Bought the place out when he was 40 and now he’s a multimillionaire. Still comes into work on the weekends too. Sounds like a fun job, actually, Quant. Good luck with the interview. Just as long as they don’t make you go to “Hamburger University” or anything…

did a bit of work for them… They operate with the head in the US obviously. They receive a flat royalty on revenue, cant remember what it is, but probably easy to google for. The country franchisor will own some of its own stores and have some 3rd party franchisees. Different models in different countries I think. one model anyway is mcdonalds owns or leases all the buildings the franchisees use. The franchisees then have to pay a rent to the franchisor for the buildings based on revenues. Anything else?

When I worked at Quaker and we were trying to secure a deal for our muffins. The way they work and neogoitiated reminded me very much of Wal-Mart, they are big and use their size correctly. Also with any company like McD’s or food in general. Always expect them to ask if you have passion for food or use or understand their products, does not matter if your doing M&A culture is big in these places.

tell them “I am passionate about making Americans fat”.

Good Luck! Great, great company.

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Good Luck! Great, great company. Great Company??? Look at their products and their effect on the health of the American public.

Oh come on, no one puts a gun to your head and makes you order a hamburger and fries. These days there are plenty of healthier alternatives with reasonable prices.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh come on, no one puts a gun to your head and > makes you order a hamburger and fries. These days > there are plenty of healthier alternatives with > reasonable prices. I am not picking on Mickey Dees…just the fast food culture in general has contributed enormously to the obesityand other health issues in this country. The fact no one forces you to eat their products dosen’t make their products any less toxic.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > artvandalay Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Oh come on, no one puts a gun to your head and > > makes you order a hamburger and fries. These > days > > there are plenty of healthier alternatives with > > reasonable prices. > > > I am not picking on Mickey Dees…just the fast > food culture in general has contributed enormously > to the obesityand other health issues in this > country. The fact no one forces you to eat their > products dosen’t make their products any less > toxic. True, but it’s just capitalism. If all Americans care about is getting a lot of cheap food quickly whenever they want it, that is exactly what the industry gave them. Now people are starting to become aware of the issues (although many still don’t care) and the industry is responding. For example, if consumers demanded only organic / naturally raised beef and poultry - the industry would deliver. The problem is, if MCDs raises the price of its $1 burger to $1.50 to offset the extra cost, people get outraged about the “higher” prices.

there is no supply without (effective) demand and vise versa. fat people’s eating habits have also contributed enormously to the health issues in this country.

jbaldyga Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > there is no supply without (effective) demand and > vise versa. fat people’s eating habits have also > contributed enormously to the health issues in > this country. But wouldn’t you also concede that supply influences demand especially if there are limited alternatives available? There are many parts of the country where fast food and similar restaurants are the only places to eat out and hardly if any organic/ natural stores. Also fast food can easily turn into an addiction for many.

i agree that eating alternatives is an issue, especially in poor inner city areas. where is the benevolent dictator Obama in all of this. He should be building The People’s Grocery stores in every inner city. Instead, let’s all complain about the evil fast food companies. “Also fast food can easily turn into an addiction for many.” All the more reason to stay away.

^I agree that it can be an issue - but there are also plenty of areas in the country with many alternatives, and overwhelming people will still chose the unhealthy options. Many fast food chains themselves have healthier alternatives these days (e.g grilled chicken over fried). At the end of the day, corporations can’t be expected to make people’s choices for them.

^but wait what about the evil brainwashing advertising? don’t you understand people have no control over their own actions!?!?!

I recently went to MCD for the first time in many years. I was pleasantly shocked by a few of the choices, like the grilled chicken and the side salad for $1. Now if only all the other chains can follow their lead.