Interview at McKinsey (Europe)

¿What should I expect in an interview for an entry-level position as fellow/business analyst? The text of the offer I applied for goes: Want to join the most influential leadership network in the world? At McKinsey, we help world-leading clients in the public, private and third sectors to meet their biggest strategic, operational and organizational challenges. Our goal is to provide distinctive and long-lasting performance improvements – in short, it’s about having an impact. Making a difference. Working as part of a small team, and dedicated to one project at a time, you’ll be fully involved from the very start of your first project. No two weeks will be the same: from gathering and analyzing data, to interviewing stakeholders or presenting your findings to clients, the range of industries and business issues to which you’ll have exposure will mean that you’re constantly acquiring new skills and experience. And as a bright, motivated newcomer, you can expect your ideas and opinions to be encouraged and valued, right from day one. Fellows take responsibility for a concrete part of the problem solving in each client engagement. They play an important role in data gathering, actively contribute to the team’s final recommendations, and present their work to senior client executives. They also have a voice in determining the team’s style and pace of work. The Fellowship-Program is a two year program. After two years as a Fellow, good performers are financed to pursue advanced degrees like a MBA or are given the opportunity to spend a third year in a new industry or in an international McKinsey office. After pursuing an advanced degree, or gaining additional work experience, Fellows return to McKinsey as Associates. ¿Any input besides all the typical and wordy consultancy crap?

Finally, a decent post on job help. Get ready to be thrown a couple case studies and work through them on the spot. They want to know how you think, how you react under pressure, brain teaser’s, guesstimate questions, all fair game. Consulting interviews (Bain, BCG, McK) are some of the toughest interviews to plow through.

I assume you already know that they will expect you to put in insane hours and travel constantly, so be ready to talk about how you view living out of a suitcase and never seeing your friends and family as a valuable investment into your future. They will almost certainly present you with some type of case study, so be ready for that. They won’t expect you to be able to solve a client’s problems in 10 minutes and with no real world experience, but they will want to see critical thinking skills. Consulting is all about generating fees, so suggesting that additional study is required is always well received :slight_smile:

sorry for the off topic - how do you type an inverted question mark at the beginning of a sentence?

I interviewed at a couple of consulting places before deciding on my current job. You can expect a lot of case study questions. The questions can be hard, but you can generally answer them with common sense - they don’t expect entry level applicants to have any real knowledge. One question I remember: Home prices have risen by 100% in this area over the past X years. Should you have bought a house before the rise? I also remember there was one question about fighter jets. I don’t remember the specific question, but I remember that there was a fighter jet question as fighter jets are pretty cool. Anyway, I’m not sure if there is really a way to prepare for this sort of interview. I guess you could read a lot of sample questions hoping that something similar will come up. Most importantly though, you need to appear smart and polished. Presentation is very important to consulting firms. Also, understand what the job will require of you. McKinsey business associates have pretty long hours (though probably not as long as IB). Once you get higher up, you will probably have to travel a lot. Also, you *must* be enthusiastic about their progression plan (sending you to business school, etc.). These firms are quite proud of and brag about their MBA placement. Good luck.

¿ - I mean 168 Or buy a Spanish keyboard.

Thanks. How am I supposed to get ready for those case studies and brain teasers? I assume that’s something I either am already prepared for or not. I’m perfectly aware of the long hours and actually believe it may be a valuable investment in my future. I’m just a recent graduate. The beginnings are (almost) never easy.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ¿ - I mean 168 > > Or buy a Spanish keyboard. Just a typo. I’m too used to write it.

I can’t be of much help here, but just wanted to say congrats, that’s awesome. Very jealous.

Fdez Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > higgmond Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ¿ - I mean 168 > > > > Or buy a Spanish keyboard. > > Just a typo. I’m too used to write it. Sorry, I was answering Mobius’ question about how to type ¿, not taking a shot at you for using it.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can’t be of much help here, but just wanted to > say congrats, that’s awesome. Very jealous. Why? It’s just an interview, and one I have no idea how I’m going to get through. I actually don’t know how I got it. No target university; good, yet not astonishing, grades; only 5 months experience in a couple of internships at regional banks and just three weeks into another at UBS;… and my cv on a website. Anyway, thank you.

Obligatory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I interviewed at a couple of consulting places > before deciding on my current job. You can expect > a lot of case study questions. The questions can > be hard, but you can generally answer them with > common sense - they don’t expect entry level > applicants to have any real knowledge. > > One question I remember: Home prices have risen by > 100% in this area over the past X years. Should > you have bought a house before the rise? I also > remember there was one question about fighter > jets. I don’t remember the specific question, but > I remember that there was a fighter jet question > as fighter jets are pretty cool. > > Anyway, I’m not sure if there is really a way to > prepare for this sort of interview. I guess you > could read a lot of sample questions hoping that > something similar will come up. Most importantly > though, you need to appear smart and polished. > Presentation is very important to consulting > firms. > > Also, understand what the job will require of you. > McKinsey business associates have pretty long > hours (though probably not as long as IB). Once > you get higher up, you will probably have to > travel a lot. Also, you *must* be enthusiastic > about their progression plan (sending you to > business school, etc.). These firms are quite > proud of and brag about their MBA placement. > > Good luck. Thank you. How did (would) you answer the question about home prices?

I’ve never had an interview at MBB (I wish…), but a lot of people recommend this book: Case in Point http://www.amazon.com/Case-Point-Interview-Preparation-Anniversary/dp/0971015856/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289601202&sr=8-1 Good Luck!

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Obligatory > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4 that. was. awesome. wow

Depends what price. Same idea as I’m 95% sure the market will go up tomorrow, do you buy?

Fdez Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks. > > How am I supposed to get ready for those case > studies and brain teasers? I assume that’s > something I either am already prepared for or > not. > > I’m perfectly aware of the long hours and actually > believe it may be a valuable investment in my > future. I’m just a recent graduate. The beginnings > are (almost) never easy. yes these type of interviews weed out the talented from the talentless

goto their website, M has a very unique interview process without a lot of bs background and behavioral questions. it is exactly outlined on their website. they are case study focused. good luck you can do it - be prepared!!

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SuperiorReturn Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Obligatory > > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4 > > > that. was. awesome. wow this video makes me happy to be in finance…

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Obligatory > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4 ^ Hahahaha, awe$ome