interview coming up - summer

I’ve got an interview coming up for a big5 bank. It seems like a back/middle-office summer program for students. Could anybody further explain what someone would do? Also, which would provide me with the most learning and networking opportunities? Side note: ive posted this on another forum but got no responses :frowning: Office of the COO: initiatives such as Diversity, Business Continuity Management, Operational Risk and Training. Accounting: Runs an accounting platform for all products. This allows effective account reconciliation, financial, management, regulatory and tax reporting. Data Management: Responsible for maintenance and administration of universal data elements related to all data. Customer Reporting: Ensures a consistent customer experience across the organization Payments & Settlements: Responsible for centralization of all cash management functions. This group is also responsible for management of the Bank’s bank account. Middle Office: Promotes business transparency, increased reliability & confidence in systems and accurate & timely reporting of profit and loss calculations. Finance: Supports the development and achievement of business unit financial objectives and provides expertise and guidance to management

Sounds like a fun summer… I don’t think you’ll get much time to work on your handicap.

What exactly do you want to do? What is your major? Personally, I’d run. Fast. Especially if you don’t have a choice in which group you end up with. Diversity?! Holy crap.

This would be my favorite part of this job: “Data Management: Responsible for maintenance and administration of universal data elements related to all data.”

i’m not sure if we get to pick or not but i hope so. im a finance major.

Now, many of us have suffered through some go-nowhere summer internships. But this seems worse than most. Do you have any other options?

grunt, I can’t believe you don’t see the beauty in data management side of the biz. Universal data elements that relate to all data… If I were in highschool and had my deadline for the yearbook write-up approaching, you better believe I’d just throw in, “After highschool, Turkish hopes to be responsible for maintenance and administration of universal data elements related to all data.”

Not at the moment… but i’m a sophomore. isn’t this better than non-finance related internships (at least it’s with a bank) what about areas in accounting and finance or payments/settlements…?

I think you should just ask the interviewers the same question you posed here. Bottom line is given your age doing anything with a big5bank will help your resume’. Just don’t expect anything too exciting. Do payments and settlements so you know what you do NOT want to do for the rest of your life.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This would be my favorite part of this job: > > “Data Management: Responsible for maintenance and > administration of universal data elements related > to all data.” that sounds more impressive than a garbageman calling himself a executive sanitation engineer

Jeez… I don’t know, man. While I guess Dapper is right that doing anything with a bank would help, I’d probably go do something fun and interesting this summer. But maybe it’ll help you get something better next summer. Still… I’d be of a mind to just go work in some awesome location with friends doing whatever.

Agree with cfa2grunt…maybe things are different now in undergrad but go travel…work at a bar…lifeguard…mow lawns…There will be plenty of time to deal with the Man so don’t rush. Next summer would be much more important. I don’t know that the benefit of this as a sophmore outweighs the black hole of fun that you will be entering. Please feel free to correct me. I may be a bad influence…

Don’t listen to them, experience is what gets you hired in the future, so if you get it thats good, since you’ll get to know the people on the inside and you will be able to use it to your advantage when you look for a real job after school

I laughed out loud when I saw this: "Data Management: Responsible for maintenance and administration of universal data elements related to all data. " I would say that based on the described roles, I’d think “accounting” would give you the most useful skill…assuming there’s some practical experience with working financial statements. As a sophomore internship, it seems like this would be just fine. What do you guys think? Maybe I’m just not that familiar with what “accounting” really entails but it seems more relevant than all the other ones to any potential front office job this person might hope to have in the future.