Interview question: How agressive are you?

How agressive are you on a scale of ten? Interview was for a rate structuring analyst position at a BB. My answer was 7-8. What would you have replied keeping in mind that this was for a structuring role.

I’d have headbutted the interviewer, then kicked him repeatedly for asking a stupid question.

The right answer is “I’m as aggressive as the situation calls for in meeting the objectives of the firm”. But I would like to watch the YouTube video of chrismaths interview.

Perfect ten for chris. Why stupid? If i were the interviewer i would have serious issues if someone gave extreme answers.

Of course it’s stupid. It’s like the immigration declaration my wife has just had to sign declaring she wasn’t a terrorist. I’m sure that one would have caught out ol’ Osama.

I agree with JoeyDVivre – but for me, I would stress that I am not a confrontational person so to the extent that “aggressiveness” is needed, I would rather talk about motivating myself and others around me through positive reinforcement to achieve the objectives of the firm. I would also re-frame this question to focus on leadership instead of aggressiveness, which is something for which I have a very compelling answer. But if for some crazy reason the interviewer doesn’t like my response, that’s when the aggression turns in and I imagine myself morphing into a Tyrannosaurus Rex…you know the rest.

Dont quite agree with the logic here. There is a ‘right’ answer to the immigration question. That cannot be said here. The interviewee can say one of two things: what he presumes to be the right answer for the job or what is the honest answer. If either answer is an extreme, it is a cause for concern for the interviewer.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The right answer is “I’m as aggressive as the > situation calls for in meeting the objectives of > the firm”. But I would like to watch the YouTube > video of chrismaths interview. I agree w/ you Joey. I have an adaptive personality and am aggressive when I need to be. I hate questions like this one. Also the, “are you a leader or a follower?” I know some people are strictly leaders or followers but I’m both, and I think that answer sounds generic. I know when to “fall back” and not step out of place, but if I’m an expert in the topic at hand and no superiors are around I’m going to step in and take control.

Am I agressive? Who the frak are you to ask me that? :wink:

actually, if someone asked me that, i would probably ask them to clarify and since most people don’t really have a good sense of what “aggression” really means, or at least have a definition they feel comfortable sharing with a potential employee, it’d be interesting to see if they actually had anything to say. i guess that’s my little way passive aggressive. what a strange question to ask someone, though

Yeah… it was a strange question. Though i have been defending the question above, i felt the interview as a whole was sham. I travelled across the country for this thing and all i got was one round with about five minutes of talk time. I think they had already made their mind up.

are you serious? what firm made you do this? i hope they at least paid for it all…

i would say i’m aggressive like a mexican fighter…always giong forward.

Aggressive enough to bite the a$$ off a bear!

I’d just walk out… Who wants to work with a bunch of puss!es who can’t deal with agressive people…

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > are you serious? what firm made you do this? i > hope they at least paid for it all… Yes, they are paying. However, what is worse is that is there were about 20 other people being interviewed that day so i guess the firm is really not bothered about bottomline. Cant reveal their name. I am still in the market and will be applying to other desks in the same company.

Simple. “I’m Chuck Norris”

LMAO

Wow, some of these firms have totally overlooked the role of good HR. Idiotic questions like this prove nothing accept that the interviewer (or the person who came up with this question) is a complete, well, idiot. Questions like this just open up a can of worms when it comes to “gaming” the system and making a “correct” response. An interview question/submission such as, “argue the merits of last week’s Fed 50 bps cut. Then, argue against it” would shed far more light on the situation than, “on a scale of 1 to 10, how good are your Excel skills? What? Not 10? Why not?”