interview question: how would u deal with not being able to meet dealine

interview question: how would u deal with not being able to meet dealine what would you say?

Say something along the lines of due to extrodinary circumstances/circumstances beyond my control/personal or family issues/etc prevented me from completing the task on time. Of course it is never a disred outcome, but life happens. If you did not meet the deadline without any sort of interruption, well thats another story.

tell the truth oh why you didn’t meet it. tell how you would give advanced notice to your supervisor that because of other higher proirotiy items they gave you, you are falling behind on a deadline. Continue with how you work with your supervisor to come up with a plan that would minmize the chances of missing a deadline. then figure out how to work KJH’s post into the final part of your asnwer. the combined answer shows your initiative, planning, ability to prioritize, work with you team, and in the end take responsibiility for your actions.

My .02: You would ask your colleagues to cover it for you. That is an essential part of team work. And if your colleagues are willing to help, it means you most likely have good personalities and interpersonal skills.

you would notify your manager and all parties involved to minimise impact …and try to complete the task/project wihout further delay where possible . After its done analyse why the deadline cd’nt be met and take steps / implement controls if necessary to ensure it doesnt happen again .

My response to this would be along the following lines: a. I would be proactive in avoiding the situation as much as possible by providing status updates on the deliverable on a to mitigate any issues or conflicts arising from the day-to-day duties b. Based on the above, I (and my supervisors) will (hopefully) be in a better position to mitigate the issue. In the event that it appears that the deadline is not met, expectations may need to be reset based on the issues outstanding. This is par for the course in IT, not sure how it would hold up in the business world. Thoughts?

Just answer the fookin’ question Dpak. That would be my thought after your response.

Danny, I suppose my answer didn’t come out the way I intended. What I was trying to get across (poorly given your response) is that whenever you are asked a question like that…position the answer such that you tell them how you would avoid it in the first place…

dpak Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danny, I suppose my answer didn’t come out the way > I intended. What I was trying to get across > (poorly given your response) is that whenever you > are asked a question like that…position the > answer such that you tell them how you would avoid > it in the first place… Its fine to start off that way, but it doesn’t answer the question. I’ve sat on both sides of the interview table, and generally when i ask a question…I want an answer. Not an answer of how you would avoid my question. Starting off with saying that you would do your best to avoid it is great, but you need to also say what you would do when it is unavoidable.

dpak Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danny, I suppose my answer didn’t come out the way > I intended. What I was trying to get across > (poorly given your response) is that whenever you > are asked a question like that…position the > answer such that you tell them how you would avoid > it in the first place… Giving them the runaround may work in politics, but if I was your manager then that would be the worst possible answer. I’d rather you give me a response saying that you’d flip the client a bird than thinking when I ask a question I don’t expect an answer.

thanks Danny and FIAnalyst…it sounds like what I am used to responding to for an IT-type job just doesnt hold when interviewing for a business role. Would it help in an interview to provide a past experience and how you dealt with the situation on that missed deadline?

So how would u exactly answer that kind of question? You know u can’t meet the deadline… so… game over?