Interview tips.

^^ PTC, use Bing.com. It has a fare-caster so you can enhance your ROI on the ticket. Lookin out fo ya my tan brotha!

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know what would calm me down right now…and it > involves PTC, maybe you too. Now I’m starting to worry about it, lol. Speaking of it, do you guys think that “batting both sides of the plate” is common? I know plenty of g@y/lesb people but can’t remember many “bi”.

^ Whoa. Exit only, here buddy.

Cool…you’re from Atlanta right? Another ATL transplant in New York. Just don’t tell me that you’re a UGA fan. I’m surprised on how many people are mentioning interviews/offers on this board for good positions (ER, capital mkts)

Well I AM a UGA fan but that is because 3 generation of my family has gone there; IE- Have a dorm named after the grand-father, 50 yrd line season tix to the dawgs… Funny story though, we live 4 blocks from GT and my mom used to teach French at GT. Wow, 3 generations, not 5 like I said. 5 family members, 3 generations. GGFather, Gfather/Gfathersbrother, Father/Uncle.

I didn’t think UGA fans were brave enough to move out of the south haha… Its ok though, GT is going to crush UGA in 2 weeks. I’m thinking about going to the game since I’ll be down there for the exam. Depends on how I’m scoring next week.

Hey nuppal, what kinds of questions did they ask you during the phone interview?

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ > > Whoa. Exit only, here buddy. Oh, I see. I thought you were just joking based on your previous good b@nging stories, lol.

DC Zanini Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey nuppal, what kinds of questions did they ask > you during the phone interview? It was mostly fit. I don’t want to divulge too much on the question side since the candidacy is still open. Sorry, I will share more once I am accepted/rejected Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^ > > > > Whoa. Exit only, here buddy. > > Oh, I see. I thought you were just joking based on > your previous good b@nging stories, lol. For you? An exception.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > (1) Why are you reading all the major topics in > the 10-K? It’s more important to understand the > job you’re interviewing for and having a good > story for why you want to do it. You’re barking up > the wrong tree if you’re “studying” the 10-K… > > (2) Know your story cold. 95% of people I’ve ever > interviewed, whom I also thought were competent, > were people I passed on because they didn’t come > across as being personable and having a good > story. This is the case for just about every > interview you’ll ever have, be it jobs, graduate > school, MBA, or whatever. Because you have a > behavioral interview, here are some things you > should do: > > - Know your resume and be able to explain it in > a compelling order that shows a sequence of > events. What NOT to do: “I worked in marketing, > then accounting, and now I want to do capital > markets.” What to do: “I worked in marketing for a > year, where I gained skills X, Y, and Z. However, > I realized eventually that I wanted to develop a > more quantitative and analytically rigorous skill > set, which drove me to pursue a job in accounting. > Now, I’ve realized I want to apply those > quantitative skills in a more dynamic setting and > combine it with my passion for the markets, which > is what interests me most about the position for > which you’re currently hiring.” > > - Tell a good story. Again as I said earlier, > most people don’t brand themselves properly so > they get put in the reject pile. What NOT to do: > “My greatest strengths are performing under > pressure and discipline, which will help me > greatly at doing this job.” What to do: “My > greatest strengths are performing under pressure > and my mental discipline. My background as a > college football player taught me there are no > shortcuts in life, and after thousands of hours of > practice and competing alongside my teammates > under the most intense environments such as the > 2007 Rose Bowl, I’ve realized that I excel best in > a team-oriented setting and where I’m completely > engaged in what I do. I can bring those types of > skills to your job.” > > You don’t have much work experience, so really the > most valuable thing you can offer right now are > really your perseverance, story, and an image of > someone that they would want to work with. You > have to BRAND yourself. I don’t know all the > details of your background, but you want people to > look at your resume and be like, “Wow, this is the > ex-NCAA football guy who has qualitative skills > and quantitative knowledge. Yeah, I don’t even > remember his name but let’s hire him.” > > Hope this helps… Excellent post numi. nuppal - Good luck with your interview. I think you should pay more attention to what numi and other experienced posters are saying, they have real jobs - as opposed to this freak idiot you bootlick at times. You sound like a promising youngman so do not horse around with your career.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DC Zanini Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hey nuppal, what kinds of questions did they > ask > > you during the phone interview? > > > It was mostly fit. I don’t want to divulge too > much on the question side since the candidacy is > still open. > > Sorry, I will share more once I am > accepted/rejected > Fair enough. Let us know after you are accepted (positive thinking!). I’m sure other young job-hunters would appreciate it.

Most definitely. You know things are looking up when JOE is being nice to me! haha. SO much prep to do for the upcoming phone int. I dont wanna let myself down, and I dont wanna let AF down as well. I guess the best advice I have so far is the advice I was given all along; just keep shaking the tree, something will fall out eventually. I have been in this mating dance with this bank for about 8 months now and this is the first solid grasp I have on even have a solid shot (if that makes sense).

nuppal - congratulations on making the next round of interviews. Best wishes and keep us posted on the outcome. TheAliMan, JOE2010, adehbone, eureka, etc. - thanks for the positive feedback. I’m glad that you found my interview tips helpful. Hopefully there will be many other reports from AFers about successful job interviews going forward.

Numi- I feel like I need to pay you or something. You usually dont find info that good for free.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Numi- I feel like I need to pay you or something. > You usually dont find info that good for free. No, you do not have to pay him - all along numi has been giving very good advice to many AFers, you have simply been hanging out with freaking losers - who when you needed advice they can not post a simple piece of advice for a thread going into the fifth page. Why? Simply because they have never held a real job to learn a skill worth talking about other than occassional fights with KFC staff. Just share your experience to help some one else. That is how the AF community works. Best of luck.

I plan on writing a write up (after December 5) of the process. I have taken a pretty untraditional route so far, hopefully it pays off in the end. I just need to prepare myself for this second round. My HR contact said this guy likes to ask questions from all over the board so I need to do my reseach and actually distill it down into knowledge I can call upon. My CFA studying is suffering too, I think in the end if I dont pass L1 but do get this job that it will be a fair trade off, I can always retake L1 in June, which hopefully I dont have to do.

packattack4 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I didn’t think UGA fans were brave enough to move > out of the south haha… > > Its ok though, GT is going to crush UGA in 2 > weeks. I’m thinking about going to the game since > I’ll be down there for the exam. Depends on how > I’m scoring next week. So long as UGA makes it to a decent bowl game I’ll be happy. I certainly did not have high hopes for them this season. If GT puts up 400+ yards like they did last year you can be sure that Willy Martinez is history.

Nuppal- You may have touched upon this before, but I was wondering if you could touch upon your background…school, graduation date, work history, etc. Nothing specific, but rather just a general overview so I can get some sense of where I am in comparison as it seems we are in similar shoes. Thanks.

Good luck man. I know JOE2010 and Captain Awesome are trying to be nice to you in case you have to hire their low-earning @sses at some point. Just remember to shave your beard before you go in, don’t want to look like you’re there to blow up the joint.

Good point, JOE2010. I think by now, most people recognize that iheartihearmath is here only to provide shock value because he lacks the requisite industry experience to actually contribute anything constructive to the forum. I actually find his trolling behavior to be pretty amusing sometimes - of course, not to be outdone by his general lack of common sense and confidence in his own achievements (or lack thereof) In any case, nuppal, I’m sure you know there’s that saying how you can tell a lot about someone by the company they keep, etc. Good luck with the interviews. Looking forward to hearing some more success stories soon