INVESTMENT ANALYST...what do they do?

So I was looking at some job bank websites, and i came upon a job which was entitlled Investment Anlyst.Whihc intrigued me, any IA’s here? can someone perhaps shed some light on what they do? what the salaries are like? and whether it would be a positive learning experience??? I looked through the search function, and there seems to be varying opinions on the actually job function of an investment analyst. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Where was the posting at? I think the term is used rather loosely and the duties can range significantly based on the company/industry you work for/in. I’m an investment analyst at a power company and we do the economic analysis on greenfield and brownfield projects as well as analyze M&A opportunities and divestitures. DCF, DCF, DCF. Gets interesting when you start to incorporate taxes and assess different leveraging options. The experience can be easily used in any role involving valuations, and the skill set is easily transferable to any industry.

As glendronach said, the term “investment analyst” is very loosely defined. Most of the time an investment analyst position would mean that you are simply benchmarking and researching a subset of money managers.

http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1041613,1041613#msg-1041613 LOL, Gold! Investment Analyst can mean virtually anything. There are guys out in the field analyzing possible intellectual property assets in China (raw ideas)…they are IAs. There is some other guy sitting at his desk reconciling bond book values from Bloomberg to the ledger and he is called an IA too. There is some dood collecting market data like S&P500 returns and crunching data on APPL profit margin and he is an IA. There is some guy picking his nose at an insurance company while making a pie graph on investment allocation by asset class and it still says 95% bonds, just like it said 14 years ago, sometimes he changes the color of the 5% slice, and this d-bag is actually getting paid and is called a Sr. IA. It can mean anything dood.

Im an investment analyst and I do due dilligence on strategies and money managers to allocate to for a large RIA. I also do macro-economic research and market research for our team, write all of our quarterly market letters for clients, a lot of performance attribution stuff and about a million other things. Its a pretty broad title.

this particular job was with a firm with 46 billion AUM, so a fairly big company. here is what the job ad said…

what do you guys think of the position? worthwhile to apply for a guy with a business degree in finance, and sitting for level 1 in June?

sure. sounds like you will be mostly a spreadhseet jockey though. as long as that wont bore you to tears its better than a lot of jobs some people are having to settle for.

Looks fun

Sounds like it has some PIPEs investing and maybe some MLPs, who knows. Little mix of hedge fund/private equity, looks fun.

thanks a bunch everybody. One last query, considering this is JOB BANK posting, im assuming they will get loads of resumes. Do you guys know of any ways in which you can seperate yours from the rest of the pack? Im sure the hiring manager will use key words to look through them, do you guys know how to spruce up my resume to really be considered? again thanks for the help ahead of time!

adhir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thanks a bunch everybody. > > One last query, considering this is JOB BANK > posting, im assuming they will get loads of > resumes. Do you guys know of any ways in which you > can seperate yours from the rest of the pack? Im > sure the hiring manager will use key words to look > through them, do you guys know how to spruce up my > resume to really be considered? > > again thanks for the help ahead of time! Harvard, Princeton, and Yale usually works.

Maybe you attended Harvard driving school?