Investment Banking Interview

What kind of obvious questions they ask in the interview, for analyst position for example. What are the daily or responsibility in investmenet banking, i know for research, analyst conduct equity valuation. I will really appreciate your input Thanks in advance

Why investment banking?

did you try the “search” function? wow…

Behavioral: Why Banking, Why the firm, Why you. Technical: Enterprise vs. Equity Value, valuations methods, F/S links, maybe some brainteasers.

whats the difference between mean and average return?

do they do company valuation in investment banking, or strictly raising capital, underwriting, and merger and aquisitions.? Thanks

do they do company valuation in investment banking, or strictly raising capital, underwriting, and merger and aquisitions.? All. A friend of mine said industry comps are the most common while DCF is not so much practiced anymore. However being he is at a smaller bank, he is not sure if this is true elsewhere.

How do you pass the time when your company writes down $12 billion in mortgage assets, buys back $7 billion in auction rate securities at a premium to the market, and cuts your bonus and workload to 0 while your CEO blows up another hedge fund on his way to becoming President of the World?

ssdnola Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > do they do company valuation in investment > banking, or strictly raising capital, > underwriting, and merger and aquisitions.? > Thanks i think company valuation may be handy for M&A i.e. knowing the value of what you are buying :slight_smile:

How many pinstripe suits do you own? When I interviewed for an i-bank, I got mostly fit and career goal questions.

your questions are very basic. as i said, try using the search function because prospective interview questions have been discussed extensively in the past. however, more importantly, you also need to learn what investment banking actually is.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > your questions are very basic. as i said, try > using the search function because prospective > interview questions have been discussed > extensively in the past. however, more > importantly, you also need to learn what > investment banking actually is. I’ll second this. I recently interviewed with a reputable firm for an i-banking position. I thought I knew what banking was about, but I realized during the interview process that it is mostly about formatting and doing really “mundane” and “tedious” things 100 hours a week. Those were words the literally used in describing the job to me (sounds awesome!). At the higher levels, you definitely get into some more interesting stuff, butanything below VP sounds awful to me. I was also surprised that they asked very few technicals. They started out with a few intermediate difficulty questions and I crushed those, and then we turned strictly to fit and discussions about a few industrys the bank does deals in and I have followed in equity research. If you have less experience or a weaker background, they will probably ask more technicals.

technicals questiosn such as? Do you have to construct models in investment banking? Thanks

ssdnola Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > technicals questiosn such as? > Do you have to construct models in investment > banking? > Thanks Dude, you need to do way more research about banking. Go buy the Vault guide.

ssdnola, you can’t possibly be serious. You have tons of preparation to do – you don’t even know what banking is or what the job’s about – so get ready to do some real legwork here. No amount of responses on this thread will get you up to speed on things, as you have shown no diligence or resourcefulness on your own. Importantly, if this is the mentality you will be taking in order to get a job in banking, you may want to consider exploring other career avenues. There are thousands of people who want the job more badly than you do.

Bromion, I searched the topics and i found that you just got a job as an analyst in investment banking. Would please share your experience with me. Just tell few technical questions that you were asked. thanks much

The first question I ever got in an investments-related interview was “which direction does traffic run on 45th St.?” To this day I’m still not sure what the point was, other than to maybe see if I was paying attention on the cab ride over.

numi: calm down, i am not interviewing for a job and I am just curious, so I just graduated from college and all i know about Investment banking from college is underwriting securities, best offer, help merge and aquisition, advisory and broker for fixed income securities. I would like to know from people who works in the field how is the interview, what type of questions they ask. I am also doing research, but i want to take opportunity from this forum since there are a lot investment banking professionals and can tell me what is inside. Thank you numi

I have to side with ssdnola on this somewhat. Even though he seems to be lazy as sin and green as snot, he is coming to this message board for advice and wisdom just like all of us do. Except for JDV who may just be trolling for cheap Chinese labor.

you do know there is a forum dedicated to investment banking right? With alot of these questions answered in tons of threads, search around on there. Lastly, if you think numi was harsh, i would not recommend posting the same style questions on there.