Investment Jobs in Canada

I did not see anything disrespectful in Frank’s posting, but again I am not a native speaker (as demonstrated in gramatical error in my posting). >I’ve often suggested you prepare your own research report and staple it to the back of your resume when applying for a job. I should try that next time. Thanks.

Love ya FrankA!

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “If you want to break into capital markets, go and > get a position in capital markets.” > > Numi would be proud niiiiice

Jeff_S e-mail sent…:slight_smile:

Hey guys, What is wrong with BCIMC?

Alyle, Thanks for the list of IB banks i know US BB have offices in canada, do US bb’s have huge shops in canada or r they smaller than canadian bb’s Guys, how is the market for big 4 FInaNCIAL/trandaction advisoryin canada. Iam graduating with a masters in ACC (passed CFA 1). so PLAN B: if i cant get into bb , work for a while in Big 4 consulting and then jump into IB or related, what do u guys think

morbrew, The issue with British Columbia Investment Management is that it is located in Victoria BC. As Victoria is “Canada’s Florida” as residents like to call it, competition for jobs is extreamly stiff ( fewer jobs, many near retirees move in with 30 yrs exp and decide to work for a few more years) cost of living is 20% above other major cities in Canada, Vicortia is an old money financial backwater and pay is low because people will work for much less in order to get the chance to live there. Bottom line, they have there pick of excellent candiates , they pay low and you have to move if you want another job.

It’s more like 65% TO, 15% MTL, 15% CGY, 5% VAN imo. Only way Vancouver is going to be higher is if you count retirement planning as capital markets. Buy-side they have a couple decent shops, but sell-side it pretty dreary; do any of the banks even do ER there for example? Basically it is tied to where the head offices are, and Calgary and Montreal have way more (of note at least) than Vancouver. Toronto is obviously where the bulk of the positions are. I think striker is being a bit over-zealous in entry level credentials. I agree that most ER associates have at least 3 letters. IB Analysts on the other hand I don’t really agree with. I see tons of fresh out of undergrad kids getting churned through here. Sure, there are some with credentials that join in the off-season, but plenty just have a BComm or equivalent. IB associates usually have more significant lettering though.

what type of experience does an IB Associate need aside from an MBA?

Aerius, I believe that some of the banks cover mining out of vancouver. Some firms do other sectors as well (Canaccord, Raymond James). Other that it is all regional brokers in Van ( PI, Bolder, Union, Wolverton, Haywood etc) with various coverage universes and sectors. The quality of these firms ranges from excellent (lets call them boutiques) to chops shops slamming out penny stocks and doing trading for banks in lichenstien.

CCM, interesting… I didn’t know some of those shops were Van based. This improves my perception of vancouver a little in terms of jobs, but I still think CGY/MTL have more opps. Frank, the skills are basically the same as an analyst: you have to be able to do long hours, be someone’s bitch and not complain, model some stuff, work hard. There is a bit more client facing stuff and you get to boss other people around, that’s about it. As some have said, it’s not exactly rocket science.

theres alot of small biotech and it vc shops in vancouver too. if you can get a job here youre set, id rather live here then calgary or toronto where the weather is shit

>if you can get a job here youre set, id rather live here then calgary or toronto where the weather is @#$%& I guess you don’t mind a lot of rain. When I went there several months ago virtually everybody I met complained about the weather. Me, personally, I prefer snow to rain, but will still be thrilled to have chance to live in Vancouver. Only if there were an opportunity for me…

Aerius, I could not agree more…way more oppertunites in CGY or MTL. Most of the Vancouver based shops are a legacy of the VSE so there a quite a number but they are all small and a few of them woudl be career enders top have on the resume but then that is the case everywhere. SEAN C, weather in Vancouver is terrible, by the time you count all the rainy days in the year you end up with 9 months of rain/3 months sun. It is also so damp that 0 feels like -10 in a place like CGY. There is a LOT of other things to reccomend Vancouver but weather is not one on them:)

This is very true. My office building is about 100 yards away from their’s and the majority of the front office staff there are all probabaly atleast in their mid to late 30’s. I have a contact there and the profile for a PM is pretty much - CFA, MBA 10 years industry experience, however they do recruite from the global wealth managment MBA program at SFU. They got a nice building though its right on the water above a trendy resturant and gym.

ks112, I used t go to that gym when I lived in Vic , it is used by a lot of the national teams for winter training so you get great access to the coaches who are hanging around and love to spread knowledge. P.S. I have a sneaking suspicion of where you work ;-), has to be one of the nicer office buildings in Vic.

CCM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ks112, > > I used t go to that gym when I lived in Vic , it > is used by a lot of the national teams for winter > training so you get great access to the coaches > who are hanging around and love to spread > knowledge. > > > P.S. > I have a sneaking suspicion of where you work ;-), > has to be one of the nicer office buildings in > Vic. Lol too bad you can’t say the same about the public perception of the company I work for. What you bout CCM, where did you work when you were in VIc?? Oh ya alot of hot girsl work in that resturant though.

ks112, I was with a very large national non-bank owned brokerage…should narrow it down for ya. Calgary has been good to me but I do miss the Noodle Box … best damn peanut stirfry ever.

CCM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ks112, > > I was with a very large national non-bank owned > brokerage…should narrow it down for ya. Calgary > has been good to me but I do miss the Noodle Box > … best damn peanut stirfry ever. so i guess you were in the KPMG building downtown?? noodle box wasn’t right below BCIMC though, unless your just talking about noodle box just because you miss it that much. Its funny I am from vic but went to school at U of C and now I am lookin to make the move back.

Just miss the noodle box.