Investment Jobs in Canada

I might be moving to canada soon. Are there alot of investment (non sales) opprtunites in CAnada??? I passed CFA Level 1 and have a BS in Finance and Economics(Florida) . What r my chances of getting an IB, ER, PM position in canada.??

Where would you be moving ? Outside Toronto (60% of the CDN market), Montreal (30%) and Vancouver (<10%), invesment jobs are almost impossible to obtain.

probably Toronto, U mean Investment jobs are almost impossible to obtain given my background or generally

Anything can happen. You might be able to land something very sweet. The truth is for you to find out. But judging by your qualifications, they’re at best average even if you got straight A’s. I think the average is CFA. Level 1 will get you a discount brokerage job though. not sure how Florida ranks, but I would say its problably equal to a top 3 school here perception wise. Then again, I have a positive bias towards Harvard and those schools with cool sounding names.

No, I said outside these three cities, investment jobs are almost non-existant. In Toronto, you will find good jobs, but GREAT competition. Toronto has the highest percentage of charterholder (CFA) per worker in the finance field in the world (or 2nd highest). So you’re in for a rough ride against alot of people, but when you get your chance, you actually have a great chance at moving up. Aim for major Canadian Banks : BMO CIBC RBC Scotia TD National

FrankArabia, Florida is jsut an average skool. i am an average stdent but aced my CFA, everything above 70%. Currently iam working on a MAsters in Acounting . U still think its going to be very tough in toronto or canda as a whole wiht MAsters in Accounting degree

Yes, it will be. Let me profile for you the average ASSOCIATE in research in Toronto. Finance undergrad. and then 5 or 6 letters after their name. These letters comprise usually two of the following. CFA, MBA, CA, P. Eng. Not every asscoaite has a CFA, but most are two levels deep as a minimum and a handful are awaiting the required work experience. As for IB analysts, same generally applies but they are usually only at 3 letters.

strikers, what you’re saying is not true. most IB analyst are right out of school. so no three letters. Secondly, most REsearch associates do NOT have CFA, MBA, CA, P. Eng. The phd thing is usually more rare. most analyst have CFA, MBA or P. Eng. But some just have a CFA. I’m interested in getting into the big banks too, but let me ask you, where do you find the postings for those good jobs?

uhh alayle…you’ve left out calgary, where there is alot of opportunity if you have some oil experience. there are also a few hedge and PE funds here…

Fineco Take a look at Calgary, it is a sell side town but there are opertunites here and the competion, althought stiff ( where it it not?) is nothing like T.O. All the major firms both US and Canadian have offices. Also ther are many regional firms that have a big place in the market. Also check out the pension authorities in the provinces (but not BCIM). Often they have a tough time keeping people b/c they cannot pay to play and there is a lot of turnover. A good place to start but get out when a beter offcer comes along…

I am in TO, and yes the IB, PM, Research Jobs are quite competitive. I recently got an offer as a Credit Analyst- Commercial Banking with one of the Big Banks. Will this position open doors to thEse other jobs later on or should I continue looking?

I am in TO, and yes the IB, PM, Research Jobs are quite competitive. I recently got an offer as a Credit Analyst- Commercial Banking with one of the Big Banks. Will this position open doors to thEse other jobs later on?" Yes and no.

nyami 23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am in TO, and yes the IB, PM, Research Jobs are > quite competitive. I recently got an offer as a > Credit Analyst- Commercial Banking with one of the > Big Banks. Will this position open doors to thEse > other jobs later on or should I continue looking? Sounds like a position at “DT” Commercial Banking. If it is in fact with “DT”, forget about moving to the capital markets side of things. I know many bright people who went into commercial banking at “DT” and wound up leaving because they were quickly pigeon holed and wound up doing annual reviews 24/7. If you want to break into capital markets, go and get a position in capital markets.

“If you want to break into capital markets, go and get a position in capital markets.” Numi would be proud

CCM can you send me an email to day_for_night2 at hotmail dot com

krause2, thanks for the info…what do you mean by “DT” side of banking? and by the way the job description looks like this; As a Credit Solutions Analyst; • You are responsible for contributing to the profitable growth and quality of the Bank’s Commercial Credit portfolio • Key accountabilities include assimilation and analysis of financial information, financial modeling, due diligence, company & industry analysis and research & preparation of credit applications • A strong relationship builder and communicator, you are proficient at collaborating with others • Not only are you highly organized, thorough and results oriented, you also demonstrate flexibility in adapting to a constantly changing environment. • You have some knowledge of compliance, risk management policies and legal & security documentation • You have an under/post graduate degree in a business, commerce, finance or accounting related discipline

FrankArabia, I didn’t say research assocaites had EVERYTHING i listed (perhaps you should fully understand the posts before you call someone an idiot). I said most research associates have 5 or 6 of the following letters (then named the designations). And nowhere did i mention a PhD… read and understand my post before you call me an idiot next time. And Frank - i came from a big bank…so trust me as i know who had what in the one i was at… as for where to find the postigns for the big shops - most of the time the banks won’t post. I’d say only 1/2 the postitions for research ever make it to general job boards. Most are referals and people who know someone who can put their resume in front of an analyst.

>Most are referals and people who know someone who can put their resume in front of an analyst. I guess that is the bottm line. You have to know someone to get in. Distinct disadvantage for newcomers. By the way, when did Frank (or anyone) called you an idiot? I don’t see it.

not verbatum. he implies i don’t know what i’m talking about…which i took offense to…because your reputation is everything in this business and I do know how the industry works. If you’re a newcomer it is harder (i’ve been there, i didn’t know anyone on the street when i started)…search out other posts that talk about this. I’ve often suggested you prepare your own research report and staple it to the back of your resume when applying for a job.

no one called him an idiot…he sounded very upset in that post…he mentioned being called “idiot” twice. I’ll let you decide what’s going on…