Investment rep or Fund Accountant ??

I’d stay away from FA.

I am wondering, is it a good time to be an IR, even the safest mutualfund losses money now.

the best time to be an IR is when you have no better options.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m an IR right now, salary 40k base. total bonus > so far 2k. so pay is crap and we get made fun of > by the cool kids. > > i think you can learn a lot from the IR position > if you’re serious. you get two main benefits, > 1)talking to millionaires(i think this helps in > the futue if you’re looking to deal with them) 2) > product and market knowledge. > > the thing is, if you want to learn in an IR role, > you certainly can. think about all the products > you’re peddling (options, bonds, stocks, > international equities). you migiht think its just > putting orders through, but it isn’t always just > about that. of course you don’t have to calculate > convexity or do research analysis, but i don’t > htink FA does that either. > > as to opps, i woul dhave to say giong from IR to > IA is a lot easier. why? cause you have spoken to > a lot of these clients and second, you know where > to buy the stuff and what to buy and how to look > for stuff. i personally feel that going from IR to > IA is more of a natural progression, or at least > that’s how it feels like. > > the worst part about IR is you have to talk to a > bunch of people the whole day. it gets tiring. but > the benefit is, you’re close to the market. > > ask yourself this question, would you ask an IR or > an FA for investment advice, all else equal? Well, I signed up for the IR position. They will be paying for all my csi courses but not for the CFA :frowning: … Franky, does IR experience counts towards CFA Charter???

Any job at a custodian is useless in my view… At my firm (150 peeps) I’m the only one coming from a custodian. We have both IR and FA in our front office but they’re all ambitious young chaps with a good set of brains. All other wannabees will never leave their current role because they won’t get the offer. It’s all about your skills… sell yourself and get the job done. You’ll get your shot.

anshul, you didn’t hear this from me, but yes you can make it count for your experience. there are charterholders working with me.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > anshul, you didn’t hear this from me, but yes you > can make it count for your experience. there are > charterholders working with me. by any chance u r working at liberty center??

hi guys…i have in a similar dilemma…i did my bachelors in economics…and i have applied for a fund accounting position …im not sure if this is the right track for me…im currently working as a personal banker which i hate because i have to deal with clients…so thats why i thought i would move to fund accounting…is it eligible work experience for the cfa?

fund accountant over 40 hrs a week…no break at all…kill you everyday with work from the start till the end. got mix reviews about citco…scary… for Fund Accounting salary working more than I Bank hrs…that is how bad it is…at least I bank has some flexibility (i.e. go home early christmas eve)

golfer…how you figure FA works more then Ibank? I know 2 FA, they dont’ put in more then 50 hours max. Ibankers do 100hours.

Yeah that’s 100% BS- FA’s don’t come remotely close to an I banking analyst.