Invitation to CFA Candidates to Join CFA Institute

Any one got this email today? It was addressed to Mr.Chau… wooooh… how can CFAi make such a mistake…? Well why are they asking us to become a member now itself…do they wanted to make membership money for next couple of years also… I know membership (fee) is mandatory to get the charter, but that is only required after Passing L3 right ? Any thoughts

i am in full cfa institute state of paranoia. does joining give us a better chance of passing? of course not, but still…

Isn’t this email professional misconduct? I hope someone gets reprimanded for this.

v.raghavan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Any one got this email today? It was addressed to > Mr.Chau… wooooh… how can CFAi make such a > mistake…? > > Well why are they asking us to become a member now > itself…do they wanted to make membership money > for next couple of years also… I know > membership (fee) is mandatory to get the charter, > but that is only required after Passing L3 right > ? > > Any thoughts I’m betting that’s just spam (the fact they messed up your name should ring bells). Who’s the sender (they might’ve spoofed a cfa domain but still)? I’d just mark it as spam and delete it.

I received a second email later in the evening from CFAI apologizing for the “confusion this has caused”. The email also insisted that I take a look at joining. I was addressed as Mr. Goldberg in the first email.

Yea i got one too addressed to someone else. The follow up email apologizing wasn’t far behind.

Even i received two mails, but the second said that we apologize but it is intended for u. probably they are looking for us to join membership well in advance. Arent they happy with a huge money falling in via exam fee???

I don’t think its worth joining at this point. After you have passed level 2, and are working on level 3 it might be worth it. I know it takes a long time for them to review your application (work experience, recomendations, etc). So if you have already filled out all the paperwork and been “accepted” then you get your charter faster.