IQ and Passing L2

What do you think the lowest possible IQ a person could have for passing L2? Also, to further that question, if a person had a 145 or above IQ, could they pass L2 in less than 2 months. Serious question.

I don’t think there’s much correlation. PhD’s fail, and dumba$$es pass. There’s a large luck factor to the exam.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think there’s much correlation. PhD’s > fail, and dumba$$es pass. There’s a large luck > factor to the exam. yeah, that’s what pisses me off so much about this exam.

^ Yup … one of the guys I studied with completely skipped reading the derivatives and PM books … I read them about 3 times … he passed, I didn’t … go figure

Yeah, a big part of L2 is just not being UN-Lucky if you prepared, and getting Lucky if you didn’t… if that makes sense.

alright, but you have to have at least a 110 IQ to pass I would think. I think a person with a 110 IQ who puts in at least 500 hours for L2 can potentially pass barring any unforeseen or unlucky circumstances with no prior financial background. I know this is a ridiculous question, but it’s fun to hear responses to it.

1 Like

Similar to the state Bar exams. Ever met a less than intelligent lawyer? Well he/she somehow went through 3 years of law school (most likely) and a 3 day test.

I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > alright, but you have to have at least a 110 IQ to > pass I would think. I think a person with a 110 IQ > who puts in at least 500 hours for L2 can > potentially pass barring any unforeseen or unlucky > circumstances with no prior financial background. Agreed, coming from a non-finance background I think someone would need an above average IQ. I would even say higher than 110. But I think you’ll see a much higher correlation between IQ scores and L1 results than you will with L2. The format of the L2 exam leaves so much more to chance.

one of my colleagues at work is as thick as a brick. recent examples: she trys to open PDF files using excel and then complains about how she doesnt have access to Adobe reader. She saves files down in the wrong folder eg she saves our capital planning files, not in the capital planning folder, but in the Loan folder? and just to screw things up even further, she saves the work in the wrong month (saves May files in the June folder - ok, you might have been working on the files in June, but the work was for the month of May!) and just to top it off, she saves down May 2009 files as June 2008 (she is must be 1 year behind the rest of the world???). I have so many examples of stupid behaviour by her that its no longer funny… and by the way, this is a girl who passed II… she is living proof to me that even idiots can pass level this exam…

1 Like

and I`d just like to say, her saving grace is that she has one fit body… makes it all worth my while in the end :wink:

I’d figure that if you work hard, one would only need a 100-110 IQ. I don’t think a high IQ will necessarily help you on the exam though, it’s not like you are doing spatial reasoning problems or anything close to real mathematics. High IQ folks will still need to study, it just might take less time for them to gain comprehension.

1 Like

dlescook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I don’t think a high IQ will necessarily help you > on the exam though, it’s not like you are doing > spatial reasoning problems or anything close to > real mathematics. High IQ folks will still need > to study, it just might take less time for them to > gain comprehension. I agree. …and it has very little to do with luck!!

I sense bitterness

dlescook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d figure that if you work hard, one would only > need a 100-110 IQ. > > I don’t think a high IQ will necessarily help you > on the exam though, it’s not like you are doing > spatial reasoning problems or anything close to > real mathematics. High IQ folks will still need > to study, it just might take less time for them to > gain comprehension. The higher the IQ, by far the less study time required. You’d be surprised how much high IQ people know before they even hit the books. Then, when they do read the material, they understand it in greater depth (and in less time), and are able to easily recognize connections between various areas in the curriculum. Finally, on the test itself, they are superior at deducing the correct answer when they don’t know it cold.

I agree with dlescook, sure you need to have some level of intelligence to pass these exams, but finding the next item in a sequence of events can be figured out with relative ease, but knowing the difference between US GAAP and IFRS can not be without copious amounts of studying.

Bacaladitos Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dlescook Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > I don’t think a high IQ will necessarily help > you > > on the exam though, it’s not like you are doing > > spatial reasoning problems or anything close to > > real mathematics. High IQ folks will still > need > > to study, it just might take less time for them > to > > gain comprehension. > > > I agree. > > …and it has very little to do with luck!! Hmmm very little to do with luck? This means it has mostly to do with IQ and studying time right? Then I guess cpk123 must have a really low IQ since he certainly studied the required # of hours.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bacaladitos Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > dlescook Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > > > > I don’t think a high IQ will necessarily help > > you > > > on the exam though, it’s not like you are > doing > > > spatial reasoning problems or anything close > to > > > real mathematics. High IQ folks will still > > need > > > to study, it just might take less time for > them > > to > > > gain comprehension. > > > > > > I agree. > > > > …and it has very little to do with luck!! > > > Hmmm very little to do with luck? This means it > has mostly to do with IQ and studying time right? > Then I guess cpk123 must have a really low IQ > since he certainly studied the required # of > hours. I guarantee CPK has at least a 145 IQ

that linkage is for pigs… luck calls for a lot. you know the material inside out, it can still turn you outside in… (and I thought I was seeing swear words in each of those ethics questions).

sorry no offense meant to any one…

^ Didn’t offend me. While I don’t have a 145 IQ, I’m not far from it (took one in college). I busted my @$$ and failed. Time for me to mentally prepare for another round of L2.