is 6 months enough for LEVEL II?

So I’m currently studying for 1 for the December 2011 exam. The first level II i can take would be in June 2012. So I’m wondering if that is enough time. If anybody here studied for 6 months for level II and passed. I’m pretty good at comprehending Level I stuff the only concern I have is retention. Here are my specs: * my current job is easy going, I work 8-4. Pretty much never have to work overtime. * Plenty of time to study, I can probably invest 500 hours for level 2 * No background in finance, other than level I. Please let me know. No wise remarks please>

Yes, it’s enough.

Answer to your question is YES

ask this question after June when people here aren’t as stressed as they are now

Most of us here have not passed Level II. So the right place to ask would be on Level III. But for some reason people tend to become more assh**** as the pass each Level. You wont be welcome on Level III forum. In term of hours 500 hours seems like it would do the job. Just dont start a year before. An hour of studying a year before has little marginal gain cause you will forget it anyway. And dont start a month before cause when you are cramming you wont learn…So find the max of the curve. I would say that max is 6 month

I can’t wait to see how much of an assh**** you become gulfcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most of us here have not passed Level II. So the > right place to ask would be on Level III. > > But for some reason people tend to become more > assh**** as the pass each Level. You wont be > welcome on Level III forum. > > In term of hours 500 hours seems like it would do > the job. Just dont start a year before. An hour of > studying a year before has little marginal gain > cause you will forget it anyway. And dont start a > month before cause when you are cramming you wont > learn…So find the max of the curve. I would say > that max is 6 month

I cant wait to be an a-hole

Here here. I aspire to become more of a jerk. That said, waiting until afterwards won’t help too much. The forums are dead between the exam and results. After that, you tend to see people trolling as a means of venting their frustration. AndrewUNH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can’t wait to see how much of an assh**** you > become > > > gulfcfa Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Most of us here have not passed Level II. So > the > > right place to ask would be on Level III. > > > > But for some reason people tend to become more > > assh**** as the pass each Level. You wont be > > welcome on Level III forum. > > > > In term of hours 500 hours seems like it would > do > > the job. Just dont start a year before. An hour > of > > studying a year before has little marginal gain > > cause you will forget it anyway. And dont start > a > > month before cause when you are cramming you > wont > > learn…So find the max of the curve. I would > say > > that max is 6 month

i started studying for level 2 on 2 january. the problem with early starts, is that you really dont remember anything. 500 hours is definitely enough, but it also depends on your recall. good luck! you might see me here next year.

From my experience, first you need to get a decent grip on the material. After that, about a two months out you need to devote around 2-3 hours a day to the material practicing problems and what not. That will result in about 120-200 hours of question practice needed to become proficient for test day. During this period you will of course re-examine your studynotes as you realize you don’t really get it all, but primarily you will spend your time on item sets. There are people who can be more efficient than this, but this is what I suggest to the layman if you want to pass. I think I could read the curriculum 1000x and never pass if I didn’t also do practice question after practice question.

long enough to burn you out

Enough … Focus on the “big picture” to have an easy revision

HAHA, thanks for all the advise! If becoming an a-hole is what takes to pass, I’ll gladly accept that exchange. I totally agree with ChickenTikka, practice questions is what really helps me learn. I think the mistake I made so far is that I started in late January, so I’ll be done with the curriculum in late june. But I don’t think it is going to be complete waste, I’ll have an easier and quicker review. Another clever advise I read on another forum was to reread the summary of the curriculum for the past 3 readings, it greatly helps with retention. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!

^^^ Not only will you be an a**hole, but once you pass all the exams you will become a fully qualified a**hole, it helps if you have experience being an a**hole or an undergraduate degree in a**hole, but not necessarily Good Luck and go f***k urself

Your specs: You have a 8 - 4 job and you never have to do an overtime. You can spare 500 hrs in 6 months with an existing job on hand. My Question: What better do you expect after appearing for CFA. With the existing job you have 500 additional hours in six months to have fun and party. My Suggestion: Stick with that job and forget about CFA. On a serious note, I started preparing for level 2 on Jan 15th (Your results for level 1 will be out around Jan 28th), spent 3 hrs a day on average and finished reading the Schweser material on 04/29/2011. Now I am shit scared and feel I have very little time to do revisit all the topics before I start giving exams.

no

ask that question for urself after reading entire material and when u are half way thru first review. because it differs from person to person and it is hard to log everything when u are reading material for first time.

I passed in December. I have a finance undergrad and an MBA where I took stats, derivative, econ, fsa, fixed income, for a quarter each. I started Level 2 in March. A TON of material to go through. I also took an accounting class from John Harris (highly recommended) and the 3 Day Schweser cram class (good for focusing your time and the teacher helped me tailor my study plan to fit my background better). This test is much more difficult than level 1. They test your understanding of the material not just your ability to regurgitate. It seems at times they will throw small differences in the questions where if you memorize a chart without understanding why, you will miss it because you gave the chart answer without applying the individual facts of the case. Everyone I have talked to who took level 2, wished they had more time to prepare. I know some very intelligent people that failed level 2 on their first attempt. It would not surprise me if I failed this time. I do know that taking it this June, I would work my butt off for 3 months where otherwise I would not be motivated enough.