Is age really only a number?

I despise age as a determinant of salary. Furthermore, when I am CEO, I plan to determine salary upon results and not age or experience. Thanks guys, Philip Platt

No its not only a number. I have fou nd that when i was 18 to 21 I could smash the piss 7 nights in a row no worries. Nowadays I have big trouble backing up to do a second night in a row on the sauce!

nequity - we all love smashing the piss 7 nights in a row. good times.

In finance, age hardly matters as I have seen younger people making more money. Also there are many older people reporting to younger people. In other industries like IT - I believe age matters because most of them start with undergrad degree in comp science and do programming so it is more like a ladder which everybody follows. Same thing applies to medical profession (doctors).

Age and number of jobs all matter in finance. Particularly in finance, people are rewarded when they jump companies. Even if they are strong performers, their companies will only give them just enough of a raise each year to keep them happy. The real jumps come with promotions and with job changes. Let me guess, Philip. Your company isn’t going to cave to your demands?

Age means nothing in finance, from both a compensation and skill standpoint.

It depends on where you are, EMH. If you are in a money management role and your years of experience are being marketed to clients, it matters a lot. Also, the older you are, the more contacts you have, and that helps too. If you’re a hotshot trader, then you’re right - it matters much less.

Ladies like older men right?

Age matters on a couple of levels. One: experience. It helps. You don’t want to admit it when you are young, but it is hugely important. Two: If you deal with private clients on a personal level, old rich folks like to deal with older people. It gives them comfort, and when they are comfortable, they will give you more money. I realize there are exceptions to this rule, but generally having a few lines on your face is good for client relationships.

I suspect this opinion won’t go over well here (considering that the average age on AF is somewhere in the early 20’s), but I believe that having lived through real-world experience is helpful in navigating current conditions, whatever they may be. There’s a lot more to gain from actually having lived through things than just reading about them after the fact. And there’s (unfortunately) no way to gain decades of experience without aging. I know we are a group of “hot-shots” around here, but ask yourself honestly, if you’re trusting your nest egg to a professional investor, would you give it to a 22 year old kid right out of college, even if he is immensely intelligent, or to a seasoned investor who has been managing money for the past 30 years?

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Let me guess, Philip. Your company isn’t going to > cave to your demands? I’m not sure about that yet . . . getting into company politics right now about that

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It depends on where you are, EMH. If you are in a > money management role and your years of experience > are being marketed to clients, it matters a lot. > Also, the older you are, the more contacts you > have, and that helps too. If you’re a hotshot > trader, then you’re right - it matters much less. this is what I was mainly thinking about - I agree that hotshot traders have the fastest “rubber meets the road” results if they are skillful from a young age

This function is concave down.

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfa2grunt Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > It depends on where you are, EMH. If you are in > a > > money management role and your years of > experience > > are being marketed to clients, it matters a lot. > > > Also, the older you are, the more contacts you > > have, and that helps too. If you’re a hotshot > > trader, then you’re right - it matters much > less. > > > this is what I was mainly thinking about - I agree > that hotshot traders have the fastest “rubber > meets the road” results if they are skillful from > a young age Ya. My background is research so I guess that’s what I was referring to.

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfa2grunt Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Let me guess, Philip. Your company isn’t going > to > > cave to your demands? > > > I’m not sure about that yet . . . getting into > company politics right now about that Speaking of company politics - - they are ridiculous. I hate company politics - - someone threw some punches at me the other day and I had no choice but to play their game on their level. I think I won the ‘battle’, but it is never really clear.

I gained access to HR share drives and I can tell you when you see what people get paid simply because they are older makes me sick. These old fucks are complete idiots too, they can’t do a fraction of what a younger analysts can do. They just are better at politics basically.

So the young ones are good at using the new technology. And the old ones are good at making sure that the young’uns don’t p!ss off the clients so they take their money elsewhere?

you’re only as old as the woman you’re feeling