Is implicit incentive positive or negativeH

Is a high probability of being fired a strong implicit incentive? Or a high probability of keeping job a strong implicit incentive? In other words, is the implicit incentive in the curriculum positive or negative? Thks.

your being afraid of getting fired is the incentive to keep working hard… as not to get fired.

if a high prob of being fired is a strong implicit incentive, is the combination of a high performance-based reward with a high prob of being fired compliment or substitute? In principle, I think a high-high or weak-weak combination should be compliments, while a high-low combination be substitutes. On page 304, vol 4 of the curriculum, the case in the confident executive is referred to as being substitutes. So I think the high prob of being fired corresponds to a lower prob of keeping job, which should be a weak implicit incentive. This is a high-low combination, and hence substitutes. Am I wrong? thks for further clarification.

?

don’t have the books in front of me, but correct me where or if i go off the tracks here… so you’re working and you’re a strong worker. you think layoffs are coming, good shot people are going to get fired. does this make you work harder to try to keep your job? i’d argue YES. now different question. you are given a very high performance based incentive. does this make you work harder or be lazier? i’d argue work harder. so if there were a high chance of firings/high comp, I would call those substitutes. Either of them could get you to the same end game- working harder. if i remember the book correctly, it says something also though about a crappy mgr that maybe knows he’s on the chopping block. that mgr let’s say is willing to accept a low salary b/c they know their job is on the line (high chance of firing). here notice the difference- the high chance of being fired makes the guy want to work harder. the low level of pay alone wouldn’t make you work harder, but in tandem, the 2 incentive together still have you working pretty hard… this is more of a compliment situation. you couldn’t trade one for the other, but together you’re still working hard b/c you’re scared of being fired. does that help at all?

thks a lot!