Is it late to go for the CFA?

OK guys all my kudos to you if you’re the ones staying awake all night beside the kid. :wink:

Thx Black&Mamba, good luck to you for next SAT!

As a matter of fact, the wife and I have split this about 50/50 over time. I don’t mind busting my ass on the work of raising a child, but I DEFINITELY mind getting tossed into a category defined by asshole dads that might have existed in the past because I’m a dude. Nothing worse than being stereotyped as nothing more than a sperm donor with legs when I’m doing half of the f’ing work…

+1… fair point DoW.

Same to you :slight_smile:

Hi, new here, I am 36 yo, taking the upcoming level1. I dont think it’s too late. 4 years as a fund manager and now wealth management portfolio manager. taking the CFA because I think it’s very professional and will help with future salary/job . also with a 3 years old kid and a wife that helped me with the time issue. also, i can give you advice to spread the study and start as early as you can. Good luck!

42, wife + 2 kids, and don’t work in anything really related to this. Earn a living as a writer.

It’s a massive sacrifice – basically, all of every weekend in April and May, and big chunks of them from Jan onward. Plus a few hours every morning for me. Well, for you that would be level 3 and possibly level 2. Level 1 should be pretty easy.

I see it as having a lot of career significance, so my family is 100% behind me. but, ya, if I hopefully am able to go 3/3 I’m still completely sick of giving up so many months of my life. And there are no guarantees in Level 3.

On the other hand, I’ve loved the learning. Much of the curriculum is fascinating. I don’t think I was as into getting the designation when I started, but got very obsessed by the whole thing as I went.

Upshot – if you don’t have 20 hours a week you could replace with this, or it’s not that critical to you, it’s worth reflecting, maybe. If this is really something that matters to you, I think people can carve out the time.

+1 on it being an awesome learning experience.

Even if you pass this Saturday’s exam, unfortunately it sounds like the Charter will be out of reach without the proper work experience. (But at least you can change your AF profile to read “Passed CFA Level III”.)

#goodluck

Everybody should become a private pilot and go through the CFA program. Both force you to take a look inside. Joking obviously, but I would love to see those two things on any CV for any job.

Ethics is the same for all three levels, so at least it’s consistent and therefore you should do better on it each time you take the exam.

You’d be surprised how many mature candidates in the exam room. Everyone comes from a different background with a different story, I don’t think it’s too late, but I can also see priorties may be different for you when you have a family. Taking time out to study when you are single is far easier than when you have a family especially young kids.

It will be tough, and I admire those who can make the commitment.

Good luck to you! :slight_smile:

NANA

“Mature” Well, I was 37 when I finished Level 3. I didn’t feel mature, just old. Most candidates were way younger. Anybody know what the median age is for a candidate? I can guess, but you’d think the actual number has been shared.

I believe it’s about 27 or 28 looking across all the levels.

Now imagine studying for this CFA cr@p when you’re about 10-15 years older – with a wife, mortgage and 2 kids.

#MateriallyMoreDifficult

Big kudos to all that do.

And each year further in program kids are getting older…

With the exception of level 1, i think the age probably range from mid-20s to mid-40s?

I swear I saw a couple of people well nigh into their 50s at a couple of my sittings. :open_mouth:

For disclosure, I was at the high end of NANA’s range when I got the idea of writing CFA exams. So, yes, you are never too old to write these things.

You are not too old. I’m 41 and will be turning 42 later this year. I took Lv1 in 2015 and Lv2 in 2016 and 2017 (failed the 1st time obviously). I can say there were a few older folks than I taking the exam in all 3 levels so do not let age be what dissuades you from this.

However, understand that this does require a large time commitment on your part. Given your circumstances, you really need to examine whether you have the time to make this happen. Do not do this half heartily. As Yoda said in The Empire Strikes Back ,“Do or do not, there is no try”.

Also, please see the attached at the CFAI website, it is a quick breakdown of the June 2016 candidates. Note that the age range was from 21 to 76 per the site…

https://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/Pages/cfa_candidate_insights.aspx