Is it rude to ask, 'What Happened?"

Someone I used to work with has passed away. She was 25. I sent my condolences. Would it be bad taste to ask what happened? She was such a nice girl, it really put a damper on my day.

a quick google search should yield the result.

Depends on who you are asking the question of. Her parents? No. Co-worker? Maybe.

You’re asking AF about what is in good taste? :wink:

Forgive me, I have yet to really have someone close to me die unexpectedly. Given her good health, I bet it was a horrible accident. I’m curious, but it is not necessary at all to know the story. I didn’t know the etiquette on that issue. Funeral is Sunday…

I think it depends more on your relationship with the person…if you worked with her before then I think it would be ok, but if you just knew of her, then it might come across a little wrong. Best, TheChad

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Someone I used to work with has passed away. She > was 25. I sent my condolences. Would it be bad > taste to ask what happened? > > She was such a nice girl, it really put a damper > on my day. No, I think it would be OK to ask. I had a colleague who died at 33, and later one of her colleagues relayed a letter from her sister “to all who is concerned” about what had happened, it was sent to everyone in the office. My colleague died from a sudden blood clot forming in the lungs and moving on into the heart, a direct consequence probably from being on the pill (cocp). Everyone knows there is that risk, but don’t expect it should happen to them… that’s why they ask all these questions about pre-existing cardiovascular disease.

If you know someone else you worked with there, ask them. Of course you want to know. I’d be ringing someone up asking what happened. How did you find out she passed away? Go back to that person and ask. Be sensitive.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >Be sensitive. No. Bob, Bob, be rude. Be rude. Hang up the phone. You won’t. You wanna know why? Because you see value. I am your kids’ college fund, for chrissakes.

Working for very recent personal experience do not under any circumstances ask the family what happend for a while - everyone was asking me repeatedly what happened and repeating the story just hurt all the more Ask colleagues if you can but maybe not the ones that were very close to her…best thing you can do for people who are close is to try be there for them and they may tell you about it without you having to ask but dont push it - too much pain too soon…

it depends on the culture of the firm, her friends, or your coworkers… who are you asking? I would think it’s totally okay, just as long as you do it tactfully… but then again, no matter how tactful you are w/ some people, they’ll just find it distasteful regardless.

adalfu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it depends on the culture of the firm, her > friends, or your coworkers… > > who are you asking? I would think it’s totally > okay, just as long as you do it tactfully… but > then again, no matter how tactful you are w/ some > people, they’ll just find it distasteful > regardless. Some googling found the result. She rolled her car in an area with a ton of deer. The consensus seems to be she probably tried to avoid hitting a deer in the middle of the road. Very sad!

Lets all do the MJ lean! *leeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn*