Is it too late to break into IB ?

…so what if you are 9 years in FP&A with small corporates close to plucking the CFA fruit and find yourself out of job for 5 months…would you try to break into IB/Capital markets jobs or try to find another pit like the one you were before? Appreciate if anyone has any thoughts or pointers.

yo i would pluck that fruit, smash it up, and make some CFA marmalade. then I would spread that marmalade on some IB. hope this helps.

the question is what do u want to do? what are ur interest?

can you wear the heck out of an Italian suit? Id say your odds are very likely then.

too late

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > the question is what do u want to do? what are ur > interest? …much interested in career involving raising capital for companies (public or private)…I think strong background in Corp Fin and Accounting with 1-2 ‘near finish’ transactions like due diligence should help naturally transition to IB, but not seeing much light yet…in fact even attended IB workshop in LA by IBI…so just seeking honest opinions and advice. Thanks pimpineasy.

look, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to do IB, you just have to have good grades, come from a good school, and be presentable(decent-looking, ie wear the heck out of a Canali suit)

builders Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > too late I am assuming you are in IB or related… what might you do if you could not give up the thought of that career?

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > look, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to do > IB, you just have to have good grades, come from a > good school, and be presentable(decent-looking, ie > wear the heck out of a Canali suit) I get your point wake2000 but ‘decent grades’, ‘decent school’ and MBA is past, question is how to get the foot in the door now with a CFA. By the way, I might still need a year of qualifying work exp to get the charter if I pass so I am open for low pay jobs if those help.

I forgot to mention that you should be 22 years old as well.

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I forgot to mention that you should be 22 years > old as well. oh and would being a ‘blonde’ help? I am drinking age reversal cool-aid but gender make over is a no-no for me. Any more ideas?

purple drank

Forget about IB. Their recruiting is extremely rigid - perhaps even close minded. Unless you fit a very specific profile, as alluded to by other people here, you will probably not even be considered for a position. I can’t imagine why someone with 9 years of experience would want to start in IB either. If you just graduated from college, you might be ok with being bitched around for 90 hours a week. However, it’s hard to imagine that this would be desirable to someone in their 30s. “Capital Markets”, on the other hand, has a very broad definition. There are also many tiers of positions within this broad industry. Do you have something specific that you want to do?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > “Capital Markets”, on the other hand, has a very > broad definition. There are also many tiers of > positions within this broad industry. Do you have > something specific that you want to do? hi ohai as stated earlier …I am much interested in career involving raising capital for companies (public or private), if that makes sense, appreciate your feedback. I am not on Wall Street so my definition of what I am looking for might appear fuzzy, and you could correct.

hdave5, Keep in mind the different posters have different perspectives. are you talking about straight I banking on the Street? VC? PE? bank loans? They are all some type of captials, right? The B-school type of I/B impression is really what some of them offered here, B-school, long hours, up or out, wall stree/big banks typical career path, from analyst/assoicate/MD etc…people washed out or exhausted change or switch to smaller banks, etc. not too dissimilar from public account career path. Being very polished with People skills/roledex helps big time. Given your background, you either have to fight really hard to get into that circle or being creative and find your own path. After all, being creative is probably one of desired skills in that business. but either way, people skills and business connections are most important. hope it helps.

If you are in your late 20s or very early 30s, go to a top 5 B-school get an MBA, go to I-banking…has been done by many. CFA is irrelevant for I-banking. If you are in mid to late 30s, its a tough sell! Do you really want to do I-banking hours??

If you want it, do it. I know a guy who entered into the investment bank at the age of 34 and became very successful. He was a teacher before that. I was also fooled by some world renowned professor and entered a corporate after I graduated because I was told to find my own life and enjoy my life. But after I found out that I need to work much harder in a corporate to made only half amount of money as my classmate did, I joined an investment bank at my late 20s. I believe I wasted about 4-5years of my life. But my experience is not in US. so you should consider the difference among different countries. But it is never too late to start. I also use this to encourage myself. Cheers

Thanks Guys! So, with an experience in business analysis and due diligence, 2 yrs in renewable energy, solid corp fin background, MBA from mid tier and hoping to get CFA charter, I am looking for a ‘go to market’ or ‘raise capital’ transaction experience. What are the options? if not IB. BTW, All Glories to the IB Associate!!

hdave5: Are you in LA?

can you ask this question on the general forum or the back office, we got peeps trying to get ready for this monster so we no longer have to look at posts such as yours once we bounce from this forum.