Is it worth pursuing a CFA at age 40?

Hello out there. I am posting this question before possibly taking the leap. I thought about this three years ago and have been going through the should’ve, could’ve mode lately. I figure it’s now or never. I have been a Financial Advisor for close to 13 years now with a successful track record. I have a solid book of business and could continue this gig for several years more but I hunger for the other side. I am not exactly sure on what I would do on the trading side but I have a few ideas. I would appreciate if anyone could help me with the question of starting this process at age 40. Thank you.

I think you have 2 seperate issues: 1 - should you do the CFA at age 40? Answer: yeah sure why not 2 - will it be any use in you moving from a FA to an analyst or whatever you want to be? Answer: probably not

Hi Jason. This question has been posted a couple of times on AF, so you’re not the only person who is considering the CFA program at this mature age. Most people on this forum believe that the CFA program will be useful to you if your goal is to obtain some general knowledge about finance and investments. However, at this point in your career, it is unlikely that the charter will help you move to a different field - or at least it will probably not lead to opportunities that will merit leaving your current job. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

i know a few successful FA’s and there is no beating that lifestyle once you have your book well established. and they make pretty good coin too!

BValGuy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i know a few successful FA’s and there is no > beating that lifestyle once you have your book > well established. and they make pretty good coin > too! Very true

Having the CFA will enhance your skills as a financial advisor, at the very least.

DoubleDip Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Having the CFA will enhance your skills as a > financial advisor, at the very least. And/Or credibility