Is it wrong to correct someone above you?

nah bro. First, I’m just playing the role of alpha finance douche for entertainment purposes (thought that was abundantly obvious, but apparently some – you – take everything with strict seriousness). Second, i’ve been fortunate enough to see the top of the mountain in a former life and was able to step away while on top, a la Michael Jordan. Now I work minimally for my dollars since my dollars work for me, which gives me time to expand my consciousness to the furthest reaches of the universe. I am everything, even you. I am nothing. I am the wind lifting a hot blonde’s skirt on a warm summer day.

I would let it slide if you don’t know the guy too well; however, it’s going to depend on the person’ personality. Don’t do anything that can cause this guy to make your job harder or cost you your job. I personally like it when someone tells me I’m wrong and explains why I’m wrong, though. I’m stuck with a senior analyst who thinks she knows everything about finance, and I’ve corrected her on quite a few things- she once told me that the 10 yr treasury yield rarely changes.

Sales? Those guys are losers. All they get is great pay, awesome work/life balance, and get drunk with clients. Who wants that?

Assault GIF

Should submit that to CFAI as potential exam material. It’s gotta be hard to continuously write exam questions every year.

Well, she does have a book that is called “Why the Earth is Flat” on the bottom shelf in her bookcase in her office, so that might help explain why she said that about 10 yr.

It’s all relative. In a situation like the bid/ask thing I’ll either ignore it or if it’s a recurring thing that is either annoying or matters I’ll try to either casually correct it, correct it phrased as a question “Isn’t it typically referred to as an offer because ___?” or 90% of the time just use the innocent messenger approach, “Hmm, that’s interesting, the broker phrases it as an offer because ______.”

I’ve found enormous success versus my prior approaches by softening my tone. That said it’s all relative because I’m coming from a position of having been too aggressive. You have to know your organization, some managers will not be able to overlook personal differences. At my current and last job I’ve had the fortune of having somewhat objective managers that don’t beat me up to bad despite at times major stylistic differences and occasional heated discussions. If you’re going to play that game your work had better be on point though, you’re leaving no room for slacking off because you’re trading in currency of your capabilities, it’s also a quick way to find out your work isn’t as hot sh*t as you thought it was if your ego is out of sync. It’s just a very dangerous game and really brings into question the risk / reward.

How did you get started in sales? In another post, you said you were an internal wholesaler?

Too*

LOL.

One time my boss, in his boss’ office, asked me if he had ever offered me competent technical direction on a warhead design project. I thought for a bit and replied that I couldn’t recall an instance where he had.

Does that count?

(He countered with, “Well, what about this idea on this project?” I replied that, if he had come up with that idea on that project, I was mistaken. I knew full well that that wasn’t his idea − it was the brainchild of one of my colleagues − and that, even it it were, the example was _ two years old _.)

Fortunately, I had a great relationship with his boss, an ex- (?) Navy Seal who used to keep a small, extremely sharp, knife (resembling a boning knife) behind one of the paintings in his office.

Wonder if we worked at the same place. One of my first jobs was designing warheads and building some of the branding. Most people don’t know that warheads used to be much stronger, interesting fact :bulb:

thats cause s2k stopped designing them and they had to pick some punk of the jv team to design them

Sorry to hear the boss was not known for good warhead.