Is the Certificate in Quantitive Finance any good?

Anyone here have their certificate? Will it help someone not in the industry get an entry level job? http://www.7city.com/cqf.php?area=quants&outline=cqf&course=cqf&country=us The Certificate in Quantitative Finance (CQF), launched in January 2003, has been designed by Dr Paul Wilmott to provide a high-level training course for individuals working in, or intending to move into, derivatives and risk management. Faced with an ever-increasing range of generalist financial courses, the CQF is unique in its structured approach and commitment to the field of practical quantitative finance. This six-month intensive program consists of straight-to-the-point formal evening lectures and other more informal workshops which deliver the necessary knowledge base and skills needed to succeed in this fast-paced working environment. This Certificate provides an in-depth coverage of practical quantitative methods important in today’s financial markets. Key Facts: Information Sessions around the world View our sample lectures online Pre-course math test to evaluate math level A Math Primer to help those feeling rusty Talk to our alumni and discuss their CQF Experience Contact us to discuss eligibility

It’s good for some people. I chose to buy a few books instead.

Compare Wilmott’s books with Hull’s and you’ll know.

John Hull > Wilmott?

>Compare Wilmott’s books with Hull’s and you’ll know. actuaryalfred - I’m interested in your opinion about this. What did you mean?

Are Wilmott’s books any good? What other books do you guys recommend on reading Quant fianance? Am I wasting my money getting the CQF?

I’ve read “Stochastic Calculus for Finance” (both volumes) by Steven Shreve. I think it is great for beginners. I also applied for CQF, got approval, completed their Math tests (26 pretty simple math tasks). But still thinking should I pay for it… I’m going to confirm my place by paying $1700. They will send 8 books, so I can compare Wilmott’s with others.

You cant compare wilmott with Hull…the latter is the top. Look at the paper below: www.rotman.utoronto.ca/~amackay/fin/USETREE1a.pdf no comments about wilmott

i think what wilmott did is trying to earn a lot of money using his name. Website, recruitment firm, CQF, …

actuaryalfred Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think what wilmott did is trying to earn a lot > of money using his name. Website, recruitment > firm, CQF, … I agree …

Wilmott is an interesting character. I like his books, for the most part. When he explains something, it can be a bit hit or miss. When he makes a hit, he *really* does it well, and you understand very clearly. However, he does a lot of things that muddy the water, like forgetting to label his axes and charts, so you are trying to figure out how the chart relates to the things he’s saying. He generally does a good job of getting to the intuition behind the math, which is good for me, because it’s been years since I solved a PDE, and I probably can’t do any integration more complex than a simple polynomial anymore. I find him a bit flippant sometimes. I know he’s just trying to be cute and funny, but it can come across as a bit condescending. I haven’t taken the CQF, but I think it can add value just to have someone walk you through how these tools are applied to a variety of financial problems. It can also be done relatively quickly. If it weren’t so expensive, I’d do it.